Hitchcock calls out team.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
They should trade Draisaitl for a great d-man and some good winger prospects, McDavid and RNH is more than sufficient as top-6 centers.

Reactions: gab6511 and Dio666

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
And it's starting to sound like an excuse.

Owners aren't out on the ice, its the players.
So you say if you ice an AHL team against a NHL team and the AHLers lose it's the players and not the guy who decided to play minor leaguers against NHLers. Just an example. I am not saying the Oilers are an AHL team, just not a properly built team for more that a decade now?

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
the Oilers need to hire Therrien
F897875A-4D5D-42AF-A6A0-538F8D223B62.png

“I show dem h’ow to earn respeck!”

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
They should trade Draisaitl for a great d-man and some good winger prospects, McDavid and RNH is more than sufficient as top-6 centers.
The problem is nobody is really willing to give them those. You have to draft well to be successful.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Hitch's comments pretty much revealed that their are leadership and character issues in the locker room...maybe it's time to start looking past Drai and McDavid's skill level and see that they are not the leaders Oilers need them to be for the the others.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hitch's comments pretty much revealed that their are leadership and character issues in the locker room...maybe it's time to start looking past Drai and McDavid's skill level and see that they are not the leaders Oilers need them to be for the the others.

If a guy of McDavids level is considered a “problem” in Edmonton they might as well move the franchise to Houston.

It would be kinder on their fans

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
And it's starting to sound like an excuse.

Owners aren't out on the ice, its the players.

Management and ownership still matter though, they are the ones who assemble the team. If the team is never good enough, then there is something to be said about the people who come up with the plans.

Both are a problem but management has more of an effect on the on-ice than product than the other way around.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It all started when they traded smyth. They’ve been lacking that gritty character type ever since. A real locker room guy.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
So you say if you ice an AHL team against a NHL team and the AHLers lose it's the players and not the guy who decided to play minor leaguers against NHLers. Just an example. I am not saying the Oilers are an AHL team, just not a properly built team for more that a decade now?
Blaming the owners for the performance of players is hilariously a reach.

Didn't they pay McD and Drai outlandish contracts? It's not like Bill Wirtz who completely sabotaged his team and selling off his best players because he didn't want to pay them.

You need to look at McDavid, who pretty much mailed it in after he got his points in the Hawks game, or Drai, who could care less this last game. Hitch is saying what's wrong with the team and I wouldn't blame him if he walked away after the season.

Blame the owners lol

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Management and ownership still matter though, they are the ones who assemble the team. If the team is never good enough, then there is something to be said about the people who come up with the plans.

Both are a problem but management has more of an effect on the on-ice than product than the other way around.
Then blame Chia for destroying the team, not the owner.

But the most important person to blame is McDavid. He's not a leader. If he can't step up and inspire his team mates he's nothing but a follower.

Jeez, put Toews on that team with McD and Drai and they would be first in their division.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep. That's "pretty much" what he said.

Did you know McDavid was first guy on the ice a couple days ago to practice? He wanted to work on his shot. The best player in the world, the captain of the team, is practicing harder than anyone...and he's the guy Hitch is talking about.

I hope you're still a teenager because being a troll in as an adult isn't a good look.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Then blame Chia for destroying the team, not the owner.

But the most important person to blame is McDavid. He's not a leader. If he can't step up and inspire his team mates he's nothing but a follower.

Jeez, put Toews on that team with McD and Drai and they would be first in their division.

No they wouldn’t.

Aside from A handful of excellent players they have a fairly low skilled team. A bad team will have a bad record, I don’t know why it’s hard to figure out. Insane to put any blame on McDavid here.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
What is McDavid supposed to do? He's already called the team out in the media, so it can be assumed he's tried it in the locker room. That hasn't worked. He works his butt off every shift and is producing. Leading by example hasn't worked either. What else can he try? He can't just force guys to be better.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
McDavid can't inspire a bunch of corpses to win hockey games? Must be a terrible leader.

Also shout outs to Hitchcock's ego for pulling Puljujarvi back out of the AHL because he was sure he could turn him into a player. Working wonders so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad