Hitchcock calls out team.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Unfortunately, Chia absolutely handcuffed that team, what can they do? They are up against the cap with 2 really good players (McD/Drai) 4 good players (RNH/Nurse/Klef/Larsson) and the rest is well below average. So it's not like they can trade their way out....they are screwed.

Reactions: Tremor

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Unfortunately, Chia absolutely handcuffed that team, what can they do? They are up against the cap with 2 really good players (McD/Drai) 4 good players (RNH/Nurse/Klef/Larsson) and the rest is well below average. So it's not like they can trade their way out....they are screwed.

Well not that their drafting is any reason to hope but very likely they have a top 3 pick this year.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
When you don't have a lot of talent on your team that team better be ready to work its A%% off and play the system laid out.

The Oilers don't have a lot of character in that dressing room, T-Mac complained constantly about his teams work ethic, not Hitch is doing it, previous coaches also did it.

You can blame the OBC, and absolutely they should be blamed.
You can blame the coach, but they've gone through so many coaches that have said the same thing, that I'm not sure that its fair.

When you watch that team play there are so many controller disconnects and lazy slow drift backs to their zone by the players that you wonder if their collective batteries are low.

At some point you have to wonder about the character and leadership in the room. They don't want to win enough to make a difference. They've already quit on another coach, probably because Hitch doesn't give them hugs and talks to them about hard work.

Reactions: MessierII

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
The team is slowly converting back to that loser mentality and accepting mediocrity!!! When your best players only care about playing in the offensive zone and half @SS it in the defensive zone they only care about their points!!! Just because McDrai are the only shining stars in Edmonton doesn’t give them a free ride from criticism!!! Too many times I see them cheat for offence, lazy back checks and just plain laziness but for some that’s fine because hey they’re superstars right? The stench from the decade of darkness is seeping back into that locker room and it’s all coming down from the OBC!!! The mayor of Edmonton should ban them from the city lol

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
This reminds me of the Rangers from 98 to 2004. Lots of individual talent but just could not function as a team. Took them to blow up the team, a lockout, and elite seasons from Jagr and a Lundqvist to finally change the culture of the organization.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I watched the Oilers post game last night and he oozed frustration. Credit for not dodging the questions though.

Reactions: RegDunlop

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Hitch sounds like a guy that has given up trying to get this team to play defense and is missing that retirement.
More like a guy that to this point is frustrated he hasn't been more successful in convincing them to do so. To me he didn't sound like he was giving up.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I'd offer them half of a good team for McDavid. Too bad the cap prevents that from happening easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->