History of the ATD

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Can you give us the peak Elo for everyone, and the time when they hit it?

I'll provide these results for anyone who asks, not just in batch.

Your peak score was winning ATD 2017 (or as my sheet tracks it round 5 ATD 2017)

For a comparison: my own was making it to the "conference" finals of the last OPPF (round 3 OPPF 2020)

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It's been updated. Your back to backs are 11 and 12 hardest in MLD now

Well that’s certainly a big change. I think I understand the system, but it seems like a huge jump in either direction based on changing 1 opponent. It went from “second hardest run” ever to 11th or 12th hardest MLD-specific run. :laugh:

This is still cool stuff though.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Well that’s certainly a big change. I think I understand the system, but it seems like a huge jump in either direction based on changing 1 opponent. It went from “second hardest run” ever to 11th or 12th hardest MLD-specific run. :laugh:

This is still cool stuff though.

Yeah, once the people at the top have established themselves. The rankings become almost as much about their own performance relative to your own.

Edit: If they are participating in your draft, I think generally speaking the names I listed in the top 10 are people you're going to need to go through to win. So in essence I understand why it happens.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'll provide these results for anyone who asks, not just in batch.

Your peak score was winning ATD 2017 (or as my sheet tracks it round 5 ATD 2017)

For a comparison: my own was making it to the "conference" finals of the last OPPF (round 3 OPPF 2020)

So I lost Elo since ATD2017, despite just winning the hardest run ever in OPPF2020? Weird. Probably because I gamble too much, so I'm more likely to lose to someone with a weak Elo in some years, which hurts my score.

The game I played that used Elo was Tennis Elbow, a Tennis simulation game on PC. When I lost my profile and had to restart from scratch, people with high Elos would refuse to play against me because my score was insufficient, and they didn't want to lose a ton of Elo on one match. So I had to grind until I reach a high Elo again.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
So I lost Elo since ATD2017, despite just winning the hardest run ever in OPPF2020? Weird. Probably because I gamble too much, so I'm more likely to lose to someone with a weak Elo in some years, which hurts my score.

The game I played that used Elo was Tennis Elbow, a Tennis simulation game on PC. When I lost my profile and had to restart from scratch, people with high Elos would refuse to play against me because my score was insufficient, and they didn't want to lose a ton of Elo on one match. So I had to grind until I reach a high Elo again.

For the exactness your score at your peak was

1240.879607 and you're sitting at 1229.207769

So a difference of 10ish points, that's nothing in Elo

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Yeah, once the people at the top have established themselves. The rankings become almost as much about their own performance relative to your own.

Edit: If they are participating in your draft, I think generally speaking the names I listed in the top 10 are people you're going to need to go through to win. So in essence I understand why it happens.

Well, Van beat TDMM and then I beat Van to win the championship. So that should give me an ultra score rating. :naughty:

But seriously, this is fascinating stuff. I wish I had started participating years ago. I’m still somewhat “new”.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Although I have just made the ATD conference final twice (once as co-GM), I have won the MLD four times, twice as co-GM.

Reactions: Habsfan18

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Well, Van beat TDMM and then I beat Van to win the championship. So that should give me an ultra score rating. :naughty:

But seriously, this is fascinating stuff. I wish I had started participating years ago. I’m still somewhat “new”.

Yeah it doesn't help that since I did it all manually, if I got something wrong 5 years ago it would cascade through the full system to present day.

But all mistakes are made honestly and any corrections will result in updated tables wooooo!

And it gives me all sorts of weird data.

@seventieslord and @Hedberg have met in the playoffs 8 times (Hedberg 3 - seventieslord 5)

MLD 11 Round 2 - seventieslord
AAA 11 Finals - seventieslord
AAA 2010 Round 3 - seventieslord
MLD 2012 Round 2 - Hedberg
AAA 2014 Round 2 - seventieslord
AAA 2015 Finals - seventieslord
MLD 2016 Finals - Hedberg
MLD 2017 Finals - Hedberg

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
A legend returns ! When are you making your grand come back in the ATD? We would love to have you here next year.

Thank you for your explanations on the origins of the ATD. Do you remember who it was that came up with the idea?

As it is now you seem like both the father of the ATD, and the father of VsX, which is an awesome pioneering legacy.

I've felt the itch to join a few times, so one never knows.

About the only thing I remember about the poster that started the first draft I took part in is their age, and that they didn't run the draft.

I think the most work I put in was to compile most of the NHL voting record here on HFB, that most cite from HockeyReference now.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I've felt the itch to join a few times, so one never knows.

About the only thing I remember about the poster that started the first draft I took part in is their age, and that they didn't run the draft.

I think the most work I put in was to compile most of the NHL voting record here on HFB, that most cite from HockeyReference now.

I would love it. I'll send you a PM next year, just in case.

Or even better, why not join the OPPF draft in September, as a warm up? The OPPF format is awesome. It has since surpassed the MLDs as the 2nd most popular draft. I'll send you a PM for this one too.

By the way this applies to you too @Hockey Outsider. If September-December is a little less busy at work for you, maybe the OPPF could be a good medium for your come back.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I would love it. I'll send you a PM next year, just in case.

Or even better, why not join the OPPF draft in September, as a warm up? The OPPF format is awesome. It has since surpassed the MLDs as the 2nd most popular draft. I'll send you a PM for this one too.

By the way this applies to you too @Hockey Outsider. If September-December is a little less busy at work for you, maybe the OPPF could be a good medium for your come back.

The OPPF draft is a lot of fun. A lot more laid back than the main draft, but still a level of competitiveness. I'd love to get to 16 teams this year.

This year, we need to remember to make coaches attach to teams.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The OPPF draft is a lot of fun. A lot more laid back than the main draft, but still a level of competitiveness. I'd love to get to 16 teams this year.

This year, we need to remember to make coaches attach to teams.

We'll put it to a vote

My opinion is: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it", so I'd vote no, but could be interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Sometimes memories aren't quite in line with reality, but my first ATD team was darn good, and might even be better than I remembered.

12 team draft, with 20 players selected per team. I drafted 14 players in the HOH top-100 list from 2019, and 19 players that made the position lists done from 2012 through 2015. I even had 6 players from the best playoff performers list.

PickPlayerPick in 2021HOH Top 100 2019D 2012G 2013C 2014W 2015P 2017
12Bobby Hull115 231
13Mark Messier1521 6 7
36Red Kelly17177 14
37Ken Dryden8146 7 22
60Dickie Moore6568 18
61Charlie Conacher5055 11
84Nels Stewart14392 28
85Andy Bathgate5462 14
108Earl Seibert496116
109Lionel Conacher133 35
132Turk Broda14883 13 17
133Alexei Kasatonov113 39
156Dave Keon13099 31
157Vaclav Nedomansky250 57
180Teeder Kennedy8558 21 9
181Sprague Cleghorn385715
204Rick Middleton199 58
205Bill Gadsby579021
228"Babe" Siebert137 47
229John Tonelli366
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tonelli didn't appear on the lists, and Nedomansky was on the C list but I had him at RW, and Siebert was on the D list while I had him at LW.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Some insane value on guys like Cleghorn and Siebert. Obviously the research over the past couple of decades has caused a significant rise in their stocks.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The only problem is with those forwards what the heck do you build for lines?

Bobby Hull - Mark Messier - Rick Middleton
Dickie Moore - Ted Kennedy - Charlie Conacher
Babe Siebert - Nels Stewart - Andy Bathgate
John Tonelli - Dave Keon - Vaclav Nedomansky

That's probably the best arrangement IMO since you can't have any pairing of Hull/Conacher/Stewart together.

Bathgate can do all the playmaking work for Stewart, that fourth line is a real mess though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->