History of Russian (USSR) Hockey

ESunlin

Jul 13, 2008
Kalamazoo, Michigan
(I am cross posting this from the Russian forum- someone suggested it may get more exposure.)

Hello,

I am a student at Western Michigan University. I am currently doing a project on the history of Russian (and USSR) hockey and how it has affected the NHL and wondered if there was anyone available to give personal input.

As you can imagine, getting information on the history of hockey in the USSR is quite difficult and I believe it is not a complete story without talking about the methodology and structure of their championship hockey teams, and later, the defection of players to the NHL and the resurgence of the KHL.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am available by PM.

Thank you,
Erin

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
A book that details the first wave of Russians in the NHL is "Red Line" by Stan Fischler. It was written in 1990 and talks about everything that happened leading up allowing Russians in, to what happened with them through the season. It also devotes a part of the book to a brief summary of the formation of hocky in the Soviet Union. If you can find a copy, it would probably help.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Try and find a copy of Lawrence Martin's The Red Machine which is the definitive book on the history of Soviet hockey up until 1990. What makes the book special is that the story is mostly told through Russian eyes. It's currently out of print but sometimes pops up on used book sites. Your work would be incomplete without it.

SuicideKings15

Nov 3, 2009
London, ON
I took a class on this in College, have read every book I can find, and probably spend a bit too much time learning about the old Soviet system. I can answer any questions, but to out-line it all would take far too long.

What I can tell you is to look before the '72 Summit Series. There were many great Russians far before Kharlamov was ever born. Do some research on Nikolai Sologubov. He was the Russian Bobby Orr, way back in the 40's and 50's and should be mentioned in any top-3 greatest Russian denfenseman debate.

ESunlin

Jul 13, 2008
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Thanks everyone... I'll be telling my professor tomorrow that I'm going to need a LOT more time than I've been alloted.

I'm a Sports Management major (with a strong emphasis on hockey) and a Russian minor. This has been the best project I have ever worked on.

POW66, I've done a lot of research back to the beginning of Russian hockey- I actually put a lot more emphasis on the beginning rather than the latter because it's more unknown.

SuicideKings15

Nov 3, 2009
London, ON
Thanks everyone... I'll be telling my professor tomorrow that I'm going to need a LOT more time than I've been alloted.

I'm a Sports Management major (with a strong emphasis on hockey) and a Russian minor. This has been the best project I have ever worked on.

POW66, I've done a lot of research back to the beginning of Russian hockey- I actually put a lot more emphasis on the beginning rather than the latter because it's more unknown.
Excellent. Many people who write papers on the history of Russian hockey over look anything before the 72' summit series and touch a lot on the 87 Canada Cup, the NHL rendez-vous and the early Soviet defection. Not only is it old-hat, but it's just a tip (and probably one of the least interesting parts) of hockey in the USSR. The way players lived, were treated, trained, the system in which Russian players grew up, is all very over-looked and is really remarkable. Most of the time all you'll hear is that they were "In great shape", but there is a reason behind that and the training they did was extensive and intense. 'The Red Machine' can be quoted as calling CSKA Moscow and the international team almost as parts of the army.
Good stepping stones are the living conditions of Russian players in the 60's, 70's and 80's and digging back to the grand-fathers of Russian hockey.

ESunlin

Jul 13, 2008
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Excellent. Many people who write papers on the history of Russian hockey over look anything before the 72' summit series and touch a lot on the 87 Canada Cup, the NHL rendez-vous and the early Soviet defection. Not only is it old-hat, but it's just a tip (and probably one of the least interesting parts) of hockey in the USSR. The way players lived, were treated, trained, the system in which Russian players grew up, is all very over-looked and is really remarkable. Most of the time all you'll hear is that they were "In great shape", but there is a reason behind that and the training they did was extensive and intense. 'The Red Machine' can be quoted as calling CSKA Moscow and the international team almost as parts of the army.
Good stepping stones are the living conditions of Russian players in the 60's, 70's and 80's and digging back to the grand-fathers of Russian hockey.

I've have a bit about the rendezvous, but not much...

I had a hard time finding (much) information about their training and living conditions. I finally found some, but it's not much. It does not surprise me that it's hard to get ahold of!

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
If you would have more time, I would recommend books/articles written by Anatoli Tarasov, Viktor Tikhonov, Slava Fetisov, Igor Larionov and Vladislav Tretiak. For example, Larionov wrote an op-ed piece in the 1980s scathing Tikhonov and his living/training conditions under CSKA and the national team.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
If you are interested, here are some links to various documents
concerning Russian hockey:

This link is about Spectator History in Russia and is a 260 + page
online book:

www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/Books/seriousfun.pdf

Sports Illustrated article from 1989 in regard to Tikhonov allowing
for the release of Soviet players to the NHL:

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126466/2/index.htm

ESunlin

Jul 13, 2008
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Thanks both of you.

When I get more time, I'll sit and read that long book... (I'm on my way out the door right now!)

That article by Larionov is partly in my presentation... I know Fetisov backed him up on it, but I couldn't find his article anywhere.

krax

Jul 25, 2007
There's a book, written in french :cry:, about Slava Bykov, the current coach of the national team. He gives quite a lot of insight in how they lived, worked and played in the seventies and eighties.

Title could be translated by "Changing Blocks" (Bykov went from Russia to Switzerland in 1990).

http://www.lasarine.ch/catalogue/bykov/bykov.php

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad