History Of Ironmen

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
This is something I have always been curious of, but have never been able to keep exact tabs on. Searching the internet hasn't really helped either. What is the history of the NHL's reigning ironman?

The whole time I was growing up, it seemed that Steve Larmer was the champ, probably starting in 1987 when Jarvis' streak ended. After that, I draw a blank. I used to keep track of the top 5 in my teen years. Names like Linden (I am sure he led for about 2 years) Recchi (I know he did as well), LeClair (might have been a 2nd or 3rd place guy), Brind'Amour (same), Amonte he led for a couple years until '02 or '03), come to mind. In recent years, I think there was Svehla, and now Skrastins. I may be missing a few.

Does anyone have some sort of official list of who the league's reigning ironman has been? I'm particularly interested in the years following Larmer's streak up to today, but any info is welcomed. Specific info, such as dates started and ended, and length of streak would be great!

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
As a kid in the 60's, the name I remeber was Andy Hebenton. All I remember was his hockey card, giving details of his record. Gary Unger had a long streak too, I believe ?

Reactions: Claude The Fraud

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Colorado defenceman Karlis Skrastins is the current leader at 471 games and counting. That`s still less than halfway to Doug Jarvis's 964 games, which shows how remarkable that 964 game record is. Skrastins in close to breaking the record for defencemen, which is held by Tim Horton (486).

Murray Murdoch was the first ironman; he never missed a game in his 11 year career, ending at 508. Andy Hebenton broke that record by playing 9 full 70-game seasons ending at 630. Unger broke that record and went to 914 games. Unger`s streak ended when Flames coach Al MacNeil wasn`t happy with his play so he kept Unger on the bench the entire game (why not just scratch him before the game and put another player in the lineup?) Jarvis broke that and went to 964.

Since then, Larmer came closest at 884 games (though he did miss a couple of playoff games) . That streak ended due to not being able to come to terms with Chicago and waiting to be traded. Craig Ramsey had a long streak with Buffalo of 776 games.

As far as who has held the longest active record through the years, that would be tough to find. I do remember that when Larmer`s streak ended, the next highest one was Ken Daneyko.

Last edited:

Muttley*

Colorado defenceman Karlis Skrastins is the current leader at 471 games and counting. That`s still less than halfway to Doug Jarvis's 964 games, which shows how remarkable that 964 game record is. Skrastins in close to breaking the record for defencemen, which is held by Tim Horton (486).

Murray Murdoch was the first ironman; he never missed a game in his 11 year career, ending at 508. Andy Hebenton broke that record by playing 9 full 70-game seasons ending at 630. Unger broke that record and went to 914 games. Unger`s streak ended when Flames coach Al MacNeil wasn`t happy with his play so he kept Unger on the bench the entire game (why not just scratch him before the game and put another player in the lineup?) Jarvis broke that and went to 964.

Since then, Larmer came closest at 884 games (though he did miss a couple of playoff games) . That streak ended due to not being able to come to terms with Chicago and waiting to be traded. Craig Ramsey had a long streak with Buffalo of 776 games.

As far as who has held the longest active record through the years, that would be tough to find. I do remember that when Larmer`s streak ended, the next highest one was Ken Daneyko.

Daneyko's was much less at 388 games.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Daneyko! right! This part bugged me for years. I remember being 12-13 years old when it was announced that Larmer's streak was officially over. It was at that point that the newscast mentioned who the new ironman was. The name Brad Dalgarno keeps popping up, but looking back at his numbers, I always knew it wasn't him. That clears that part of it up. Thanks! :)

So I think it went from Jarvis to Larmer, to Daneyko, most likely to Linden from there..... anyone else know some more?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Daneyko! right! This part bugged me for years. I remember being 12-13 years old when it was announced that Larmer's streak was officially over. It was at that point that the newscast mentioned who the new ironman was. The name Brad Dalgarno keeps popping up, but looking back at his numbers, I always knew it wasn't him. That clears that part of it up. Thanks! :)

So I think it went from Jarvis to Larmer, to Daneyko, most likely to Linden from there..... anyone else know some more?

I believe it went from Daneyko to Recchi to Amonte

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Satan has only missed 6 games out of 656 since the 1997-98 season. He also had a streak of over 250 games at one point of time.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont

You are missing Johnny Wilson. It was Wilson who broke Murdoch's record of 508. Wilson played 580 consecutive games from 1952 to 1961. Hebenton broke Wilson's record a few years later.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
You are missing Johnny Wilson. It was Wilson who broke Murdoch's record of 508. Wilson played 580 consecutive games from 1952 to 1961. Hebenton broke Wilson's record a few years later.
That's right. Forgot about him.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Teppo Numminen was also a while I think. He played all games between December 15, 1995 and March 4, 2000 (those two days were games he missed)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Teppo Numminen was also a while I think. He played all games between December 15, 1995 and March 4, 2000 (those two days were games he missed)

Ha, really? Jeez.. I had him in my original post and took him out because I couldn't seem to place where he was the ironman. We may be right about him, except, if those dates for Trevor Linden are correct, would he still fit in? I am sure Recchi or Amonte held it in the 97-2002 years.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Nice necro jobbie 70's.... Tahp 5... youve got Jarvis at 964 games, Unger at 914, Larmer at 884, Ramsay at 776 and Bouwmeester at 737 games.... As of this past season, the only one close to entering the Top 5 was (and still is) Andrew Cogliano of Anaheim who's streak began back in October 2007 and as of last November was at 718 consecutive games.... and.... only the 6th player in NHL history to break the consecutive, dressed, ready to go & played 700 games barrier.... and... I see, looking at Hockeydb, Andrew did dress & play, another injury free season in all 82 games this past season for the Ducks.... guys on track..... take him what, another 3yrs injury free & capable without being demoted or forced to sit out a game to surpass Jarvis?...

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The first ironman has always been listed as Georges Vezina at 325 games. Now that's including his NHA years; but even if we just looked at the NHL, he's the only player not to miss a game in the NHL's first 8 seasons (I'm not going to count the game they won by forfeit over the Wanderers as a missed game). After his streak ended early in the 25-26 season, the longest active streak belonged to Reg Noble, who missed one game in 18-19, played a full schedule for the next six seasons, then missed a game on Feb 23/1926.

After that, the baton was passed to goalie Jake Forbes. He had played every game starting with the 22-23 season before finally only playing 13 of 44 scheduled games in 27-28 (don't know which ones). Who's next? There were three players who played every game in the three seasons from 24-25 to 26-27: Charlie Langlois (he actually played one extra due to a mid-season trade), Alec Connell and John Ross Roach. Langlois and Connell both started their NHL career in 24-25, so that leaves Roach, who played the last 22 games of the 23-24 season. Roach missed one game in 27-28, which had to be a 0-0 tie comparing his record with Toronto's. Toronto had 4 0-0 ties that season, so since I don't know which one he missed, I don't know if it came before Forbes missed a game. Langlois missed 4 games that year, but once again we don't know which ones. Connell played a full schedule that year, so he definitely held the mark at the end of the 27-28 season, and continued it through the next two seasons.

Connell's streak ended in the 30-31 season. The only player other than Connell to play every game in the previous four seasons was Murray Murdoch, who never missed a game in his 11 year career, finishing in 1937 with a record of 508 consecutive games

So for active leaders up to 1937, the chain would be:

Georges Vezina
Reg Noble
Jake Forbes

Charlie Langlois (maybe)
John Ross Roach (maybe)

Alec Connell
Murray Murdoch

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Nice necro jobbie 70's.... Tahp 5... youve got Jarvis at 964 games, Unger at 914, Larmer at 884, Ramsay at 776 and Bouwmeester at 737 games.... As of this past season, the only one close to entering the Top 5 was (and still is) Andrew Cogliano of Anaheim who's streak began back in October 2007 and as of last November was at 718 consecutive games.... and.... only the 6th player in NHL history to break the consecutive, dressed, ready to go & played 700 games barrier.... and... I see, looking at Hockeydb, Andrew did dress & play, another injury free season in all 82 games this past season for the Ducks.... guys on track..... take him what, another 3yrs injury free & capable without being demoted or forced to sit out a game to surpass Jarvis?...

Thanks, but I know this stuff. There a good Wikipedia article about it.

I'm specifically wondering what was the succession of reigning iron men.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So for active leaders up to 1937, the chain would be:

Georges Vezina
Reg Noble
Jake Forbes

Charlie Langlois (maybe)
John Ross Roach (maybe)

Alec Connell
Murray Murdoch
... huh.... very interesting, did know any of this.
Thanks, but I know this stuff. There a good Wikipedia article about it.

I'm specifically wondering what was the succession of reigning iron men.

.... :laugh: well then, your not welcome. Already knew all this huh? K.... I read it in an article in the HockeyNews last fall.... Now, if by "succession" are you interested in determining current players who barring injury, being sat or demoted are on pace to join the Iron Man Club behind Cogliano or All Time?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
... huh.... very interesting, did know any of this.

.... :laugh: well then, your not welcome. Already knew all this huh? K.... I read it in an article in the HockeyNews last fall.... Now, if by "succession" are you interested in determining current players who barring injury, being sat or demoted are on pace to join the Iron Man Club behind Cogliano or All Time?

No, i mean, when Larmer missed a game, the new reigning ironman was Daneyko, and then when Daneyko missed a game, the new leader was......

.....insert about 7-8 names.....

....and when ______ missed a game, Cogliano became the new leader.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ I see.... and to that I say...... googles your friend 70's. Project. Go for it. :)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Continuing after Murdoch retired in 1937, the next longest was Cecil Dillon who never missed a game in the 8 seasons from 31-32 to 38-39. He missed 4 games in the 39-40 season. The next highest after Dillon after 38-39 was Sweeney Schriner. However, Schriner missed 9 games that season, and since we don't know if they came before or after Dillon's, he's also a maybe.

After 39-40, the only two players to have played a full schedule in each of the previous 4 years were two Rangers: Phil Watson and Dave Kerr. Going back to 35-36, Watson missed 24 games while Kerr missed one. So Kerr was probably the new leader, but there's a slim chance it might have been Watson if Kerr's missed game came late in the season. In any case, Watson missed some games in 40-41, so Kerr was definitely the leader then until he retired
after that season. It's weird to keep seeing goalies on this list.

After Kerr, it's either Bobby Bauer or Bryan Hextall (depending on when they played their games in their rookie season), with Hextall definitely being the sole leader during the 41-42 season, and continuing on until he left for the War in 1944.

So up to 1944 it's:

Georges Vezina
Reg Noble
Jake Forbes

Charlie Langlois (maybe)
John Ross Roach (maybe)

Alec Connell
Murray Murdoch
Cecil Dillon

Sweeney Schriner (maybe)
Phil Watson (maybe)

Dave Kerr
Bobby Bauer (maybe)
Bryan Hextall

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Continuing after Murdoch retired in 1937, the next longest was Cecil Dillon who never missed a game in the 8 seasons from 31-32 to 38-39. He missed 4 games in the 39-40 season. The next highest after Dillon after 38-39 was Sweeney Schriner. However, Schriner missed 9 games that season, and since we don't know if they came before or after Dillon's, he's also a maybe.

After 39-40, the only two players to have played a full schedule in each of the previous 4 years were two Rangers: Phil Watson and Dave Kerr. Going back to 35-36, Watson missed 24 games while Kerr missed one. So Kerr was probably the new leader, but there's a slim chance it might have been Watson if Kerr's missed game came late in the season. In any case, Watson missed some games in 40-41, so Kerr was definitely the leader then until he retired
after that season. It's weird to keep seeing goalies on this list.

After Kerr, it's either Bobby Bauer or Bryan Hextall (depending on when they played their games in their rookie season), with Hextall definitely being the sole leader during the 41-42 season, and continuing on until he left for the War in 1944.

So up to 1944 it's:

Georges Vezina
Reg Noble
Jake Forbes

Charlie Langlois (maybe)
John Ross Roach (maybe)

Alec Connell
Murray Murdoch
Cecil Dillon

Sweeney Schriner (maybe)
Phil Watson (maybe)

Dave Kerr
Bobby Bauer (maybe)
Bryan Hextall

I remembered reading about this and checked it. It was the last game of the season. Dave Kerr´s father died in accident. Attended funeral. Bert Gardiner debuted in NHL.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I remember when my man Linden was the NHL Ironman. It was for more than a year I recall.

And BCTV news in Vancouver interviewed his linemate Martin Gelinas after a series of injuries that followed Trev's Ironman streak and Gelinas said one of the most memorable quotes I've ever heard: "He's gone from the Ironman to the Tinman." :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad