HOH Book Feature (presented in association with the Society for International Hockey Research)

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
Part of my goal with my SIHR book column is to be able to spotlight lesser known books, especially self-published ones. In my column that went up on November 21, I wrote about three:
  • 300-1: (My 52-year Journey with St. Louis Hockey and a Championship for the Ages) by Mark Sophir
  • Unforgettable NJ Devils: Games & Moments from the Press Box, Ice & Front Office by Matthew Blittner
  • Ice and Thunder - A History of the Trent Valley Hockey League by Dave Barry and Stewart Richardson
None will outsell, say, Scotty, this book season, but their work deserves attention too!

https://sihrhockey.org/__a/public/column.cfm?cid=4&aid=591

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
S/T to @goliver845 for bringing my attention through his book review to Rhonda Leeman Taylor's OFFSIDE - A Memoir - Challenges Faced by Women in Hockey. The book was well-written, with a down-to-Earth style that makes it an enjoyable read. There were a handful of typographic & grammatical errors that popped up to interrupt the flow of the author's stories [why haven't modern word processing software plus attentive editing rid readers of these distractions?], but overall the memoir's pace was brisk while presenting poignant stories of Mrs. Leeman Taylor's involvement in & contributions to the development and growth of women's hockey across Canada. My favorite chapters of the book were her stories about organization of the first Women's National Hockey Tournament, and the chapter entitled "Cutting Out The Contact" which enlightened me on the multiple reasons why Canadian women's hockey adopted no-check rules.

I would recommend Offside to anyone curious to read about the history of women's hockey development, as told by someone who was in on the ground (or ice) level and made important contributions to the growth of that branch of the sport in Canada. The book presents a much different perspective of the relationships between the men's & women's hockey communities in Canada than most of the books & media stories that I've read over the years; and it thankfully diverges from the regularly angst-filled story-telling style of the similarly themed Elizabeth Etue & Megan Williams book On The Edge: Women Making Hockey History. Both books offer good stories of women making memories & contributions to hockey, but I found Rhonda's stories more interesting from the business side of the sport.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
Hey everyone,
I took a little break from my SIHR hockey book column ... enough time for them to pile up again. Upcoming interviews include Andre Lacroix, Greg Enright on his new Penguins book, and an amazing book on BeeHive hockey photos.

Here are a few that I didn't post on here

Power Play digs deep into Oilers arena debate
It's about the new arena in Edmonton, and is a little more academic than the usual hockey book, but if you are into politics and city building, it's pretty fascinating.

Finally, a Toe Blake biography
It was worth the wait, and with the cooperation of his family, it's a true look into the man, the player, and the coach ... and tavern owner.

Sticks and Stones readies you for college and hockey
This one interviews a bunch of hockey players about their time playing college hockey. I enjoyed the interviews, but there wasn't really a structure or reason why someone was interviewed, and someone else wasn't. For more recent fans, for sure.

Blittner's trilogy proves to be a learning opportunity
The author did books on the Rangers, Devils and Islanders, all teams he has covered.

Hope everyone is staying safe. Reading will help you get through things. Some publishers, like ECW Press (Toe Blake book), are offering the ebook now, and will ship you the physical copy when it is safe.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
If anyone on here had ever heard of Jerry Hack, I'll eat my shorts. Still, his book details a part of hockey history, albeit on a much lower level than we are used to reading about. It's fun.
Unknown goalie delivers a winner
I just received my copy of Hockey Nobody from an anonymous Amazon delivery driver. I'm relying on your recommendation to boost my COVID-suppressed spirits, Greg. No pressure, mind you.

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
I just received my copy of Hockey Nobody from an anonymous Amazon delivery driver. I'm relying on your recommendation to boost my COVID-suppressed spirits, Greg. No pressure, mind you.

Ha. No pressure. You won't know most of the people he talks about, but you will laugh!

Reactions: JMCx4

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
My latest column, up on June 7, 2020, isn't really historical, but it is a lot of fun. Whereas last week's The Golden Years: Bee Hive Golden Corn Syrup Hockey Picture Promotion 1934-1968 would be great for grandfathers for Father's Day, this one would have suited Mother's Day, as I talk to Jody Anderson about Hockey Moms Aren't Crazy: ...Well, Maybe Just a Little Bit:
Hockey Moms book a Crazy success

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
It can be tough to go back to the well, to talk to the same authors again and again ... but if they keep writing hockey books, then I need to! Here's a third go-round with Howie Karpin and Mark Rosenman, talking about "You Never Forget Your First: A Collection of New York Rangers Firsts" --
This column can Never Forget Karpin and Rosenman

Rosenman Karpin.jpg

Note over the summer, my SIHR hockey book columns aren't as frequent, but I still have three books on hand to write about, and am expecting at least two more, so I'll post 'em when I get to 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->