History of Hamilton's Jr. Franchises

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I thought I'd make this post, basically regarding Hamilton's many failed OHL franchises and how hopefully the Bulldogs will not fall victim as the other ones have. So lets start from the beginning. Now, depending on how you look at things, before the OHL even began, Hamilton had a slew of different OHA teams in various levels of the OHA.

Hamilton Bengal Cats 1930 - There is not a lot of info about this team, which doubtlessly didn't last very long due to the great depression. The team appears to really be nothing more then a footnote in Hamilton's hockey history. Certainly never even approaching the popularity of the more well know Hamilton Tigers both the NHL and OHA versions of the team. This would be the first team we lost.

The Multi-named Hamilton Team 1942-1946 - Playing parallel to the OHA Hamilton Tigers was a team then that went by many different names. The Hamilton Whizzers, Majors, Lloyds and lastly the Szabos who played from 1942-1946 until eventually disbanding. As far as I can tell, this team would have been playing in the equivalent OHL level at the time, paralleling the then Allan Cup level Tigers. Who drew more interest at the time. This would have been the second time Hamilton lost its Jr. team, although at the time, apparently the Allan Cup was more popular then.

Hamilton Tigers OHA 1919-1953 - Going as far back as 1919, Hamilton actually had the Hamilton Tigers Jr. team (typically called the amatuers) who played parallel to the NHL Hamilton Tigers (who were typically called the professionals). This Jr. team played for the Allan cup, winning it 3 times. However, the popularity of this level of Jr. player and eventually ended in the 1953s. People had more interest in the older prospects, however the team evolved and from my understanding changed it's name.

Hamilton Tiger-Cubs 1953-1960 - The Tigers became the Hamilton Tiger-Cubs, who would become affiliated with Detroit. The older prospects competing for the Robertson Cup. The team greatest success was when it made it to the cup in 1958, losing it to the Toronto Marlboroughs.

Hamilton RedWings 1960-1974 - The franchise renamed itself to the RedWings to further push the Detroit affiliation in hopes of raising ticket sales. For the most part, it succeeded. The team won the memorial cup in 1962. However, the close affiliation with Detroit is what caused this team to be renamed yet again. In the late 60s, NHL teams had begun pulling their affiliation with Jr. teams and Hamilton was no exception. The sponsorship money from Detroit ended in 1967 and the team was sold to a new owner.

Hamilton Fincups 1974-76, 77-78 - The team was renamed the Fincups, named after the new owners Joe Finochio and the Cupido Brothers. The team began to struggle fincially as they were still playing out of a facility built in the 1910, the old Hamilton forum, also known as the Barton St arena. Despite winning the Memorial Cup in 1976, the arena's ice making equipment had failed and the city determined that the cost of repairing it would be pricier then demolishing the building and starting a new. There was talk then of the city trying to get a WHA franchise, so the city was not about to reinvest in the old forum. The ownership tried to get a lease out of Mountain Arena in Hamilton, but local opposition prevented a quick lease and the team played a season out of St. Catharines in 1977. Eventually ownership did manage to get a lease out of Mountain arena the next year. However the 2500 seat venue was far too small for the team to make a profit. In 1978, with the city not any further along with a new arena, the ownership had no choice but to relocate to Brantford, becoming the Alexanders making this the third time we lost our team. This time a team with over 59 years of history.

Hamilton Steelhawks 1984–88 - However, Hamilton would be briefly reunited with it's old team six years later, as things didn't work out in Brantford. Thus the team moved back to Hamilton and played out of the smaller mountain arena. However, while packing the place, the smaller 2,500 seat arena simply was too small for the team. However, in 1985 Copps Coliseum had been built, and Hamilton was looking to get it's NHL franchise back. There was talk of NHL expansion, but while Copps was built, they had not come. The Steelhawks moved in, however, from day one it was very clear that not only did Hamilton want an NHL team, but that the oversized Copps wasn't going to work out. The team finally moved to Niagara Falls, becoming the Thunder and then later became the Erie Otters. This was the fourth time Hamilton was left without a team.

Hamilton Dukes 1989-1991 - However, the city wasn't about to let Copps sit empty and the then Toronto Marlboroughs were losing money hand over fist. The team relocated to Hamilton, the name coming from the Duke of Marlborough who the Marlboroughs were named after. However the team had dismal on ice performance. Being awarded a memorial cup, but opting not to participate due to poor performance didn't go over well in the city. Also the chance of getting an NHL team (which evaporated in 1990, being passed over for Ottawa) sabotaged anyone from investing too much into the Dukes. On top of playing out of the oversized Copps, the team moved to Guelph, becoming the Storm. The fifth time Hamilton was left without.

Looking Back - So looking back, what is the point of all this, other then to be a history lesson? I think as a Hamilton fan, airing the dirty laundry and saying "Hey, we know we've been a revolving door through the league, but want to move forward." is something that needs to be said. It also helps to put out some context as to why the OHL failed in Hamilton so many times, and why we hope it won't happen again.

In the case of the Bengals, the depression hit, and many teams went under back then, and the team is really a footnote in history.

The multi-named team, from what I can tell fell victim to the more popular Tigers paralleling them, and a clear case of lacking identity amongst the ownership.

In the case of the Tigers/Cubs/Fincups in came down to the arena not being upgraded. Both the old forum and mountain arena not gaining more seats. It parallels one of the reasons the ownership of the Bulls moved, and the 59 year run of the Tigers/Cubs/Fincups was indeed an impressive one.

As far as the Dukes and the Steelhawks, a mixture of many things. Playing out of the far too large Copps, playing when there was a real chance of Hamilton getting an NHL team, poor on ice performance and a degree of uncommitted ownership groups that had failed in other locales.

I think that really tells the tale of Hamilton's OHL failures. In chasing the NHL/WHA in one form or another we lost three teams. Now, that dream is far more distant then ever, especially with talk of Seattle, Quebec and Las Vegas, and of course the perpetual threat of Buffalo and Toronto vetoing any move. The facility is also far older then it was, although has gone under some more recent renovations the last few years. Global Spectrum and Michael Andlauer have both breathed some new life into the facility. Certainly good enough for OHL or AHL hockey, but perhaps not NHL.

I think Hamilton is finally ready to stop chasing the NHL. I think the AHL Bulldogs consistently pulled middle of the road numbers for that league. A league with a limited number of teams within driving distance, and pulled awesome numbers when Rochester or Toronto came to town. I think shedding the Habs affiliation will help the team further, and even more if they change the colours to black and gold. I think you have a committed owner and I think playing in a league where there is a lot more potential for away team fans to travel and come visit, I think the Bulldogs will do well, or at least I hope.

Hope this post has been insightful.

MrCheapGuy

Oct 16, 2014
I hope they are successful because then I will feel better about my Bulls being moved. At least it will have justification. Although I found some of your post educational, like the history of failed Hamilton franchises, I also found it presumptuous and based upon optimism rather than fact. Just look at how many times you wrote "I think..." to start a sentence.
Your own person feelings will not make the team a success in the community. That's wishful thinking. By all means, you should be optimistic but your post does not measure the actual stability of the team in a community that has failed many times over.
As stated above tho, I hope it works this time.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I hope they are successful because then I will feel better about my Bulls being moved. At least it will have justification. Although I found some of your post educational, like the history of failed Hamilton franchises, I also found it presumptuous and based upon optimism rather than fact. Just look at how many times you wrote "I think..." to start a sentence.
Your own person feelings will not make the team a success in the community. That's wishful thinking. By all means, you should be optimistic but your post does not measure the actual stability of the team in a community that has failed many times over.
As stated above tho, I hope it works this time.

That was the point Cheap. I can't say with honesty that Hamilton will succeed. I feel the odds are good, but to say that Hamilton is going to pack Copps perpetually the second the season starts is simply not realistic.

MrCheapGuy

Oct 16, 2014
Sounded like you were explaining how Hamilton has learned it's lesson and why it will succeed this time. Which is why I reminded you that your passion and intellectual level doesn't mean anything to the community or ownership as a whole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad