Historical examples of Kucherov's and McDavid's current seasons

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
People basically diminish Esposito's production significantly because of the "Orr factor" and that is done on this very board.

Reactions: Big Phil

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A 36-game sample is most definitely not "nothing".

During 90/91, Hull played 19 games without Oates, scoring a total of 18 goals. That's about 75 goals in 80 games.

With Oates, he played 61 games and scored 68 goals. That's about 89 goals in 80 games.

The difference is clearly there. And I believe it perfectly illustrates the extent by which you overestimate Oates and his impact on Hull's production.

Oates added about 15-20 goals a year. Even without him, it's reasonable to think Hull would have peaked at about 70 goals a year.

Not to mention his pace of 75 came with replacements like Bob Bassen, with a legit 1C the difference to Oates would likely have been still considerably smaller.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Steve Shutt comes to mind immediately I think. Not that he wasn't a good scorer in junior, but he isn't a 60 goal scorer without Lafleur. He never scored more than 49 other than that as well. So it might be pretty safe to say that Shutt never hits 50 goals. He pretty much had Lafleur by his side his entire career and I sort of wish we got a glimpse of how he would do without him. We sort of do with his last NHL season with the Kings getting 41 points in 59 games.

I think for someone who suffered historically I would definitely put McDavid up there because he has literally had no offensive minded defenseman to get him the puck. Darnell Nurse might be his best choice that way. Someone mentioned Bathgate and that is a pretty good choice too although let's keep in mind, for a 9 year span he went toe to toe with none other than Gordie Howe for points.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
By the way, I personally think Kucherov is a bad example of this. Sure being on Tampa helps, but he also has some skill of his own. I don't think "leeches" outscore the next best player on their team by 30 points either, or Stamkos by 35 points.

Kevin Stevens is a guy who was good but benefitted from none other than Mario. His numbers wouldn't have been that good otherwise.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Anyone Adam Oates played with had career years: Joe Juneau and Dmitri Kvartalnov key examples

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad