Injury Report: Hip injury to keep Phillip Danault out for ~4 months

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
That's too bad. Hope for a quick recovery. I don't expect him to make the team if/when we resign Kruger, so IMO it's not a huge loss for the Hawks other than losing trade value while he's out.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Unfortunate for Danault. He's one of only a few of our decent prospects who can naturally play LW (though hawks brass has groomed him for a bottom center role).

If Bicks and Versteeg were to be traded before the start of the season, Danault would have likely made the team IMO.

LandofLincoln*

I liked his pace and work ethic. Adios. His chances of playing here and window of opportunity seem to be closing. He would be a nice throw in when we part ways with Versteeg.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Opens door for McNeill ,,, Probably McNeil's final chance to impress Hawks brass

I mean if we have injury and McNeill still cant get call at this point then we will know 100% they don't like him

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I liked the story better when he was only going to be out 3 months. That's a shame he's going to miss so much of his pro season.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
The bigger issue is who is going to be traded to get Bick off the books? I thought it was going to be Dannult or Hartman. I doubt a team does it for Dannult now, but I'm sure the hawks would do it. I think he only has one more year clearing waivers and will spend 1/2 of that hurt.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Danault has been fine in role given to him down with Hogs ,, He is never going to be a big time scorer

A good 2 way 3rd liner is what his upside is and that is what he is projecting to

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
McNeill = Sure
Danault = What?

This isn't a career ending injury and he is still a good fit for Hawks in longrun

So because Danault got a cup of coffee in the NHL, he isn't a bust, but McNeill is?

Funny though, considering McNeill has outscored Danault in his AHL career by 15pts in 3 less games.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
So because Danault got a cup of coffee in the NHL, he isn't a bust, but McNeill is?

Funny though, considering McNeill has outscored Danault in his AHL career by 15pts in 3 less games.

This is true, but if McNeil isn't playing in the top 6, he isn't as effective to most as Danault in the bottom 6.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
This is true, but if McNeil isn't playing in the top 6, he isn't as effective to most as Danault in the bottom 6.

McNeill can be a decent top 9 scorer. Danault can be a decent shutdown bottom 6 forward. They aren't all that similar, so tough to say who can be more effective for this team in the long run.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
neither guy has impressed in the ahl luckily we got saad and shaw that year.

I've never understood the angst against McNeill on the Hawks forum?
In his second year as a pro he led the regular season in scoring on a decent playoff team. In practically every other organization they would be lauded for their patience in bringing along a power forward, first round pick... but not the Hawks.

Granted, I was surprised not to see him get at least a cup of coffee or get called up as a part of the Black Aces during the playoffs. So, maybe you & Stan know something I don't???

As for Danault - definitely disappointing to see him get this surgery so late in the summer. Hopefully he makes a fast and full recovery.
All signs indicate to him being brought along as a Kruger-clone, so I don't think he has been unimpressive in his time as a pro. He has shown an offensive side in junior but has clearly been working on his defensive game (+20) which will almost certainly make him an NHL regular in the future.
He is the prototypical Hawks player - can skate, defensively responsible but also has an underrated offensive side to his game.

It's hard to compare these guys to Saad from the same draft year (who was previously passed over in his first draft). Saad was a man-child that every other NHL team missed and let slide until the Hawks stole him. Similar story for Shaw.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
A legitimate case can be made that because the Hawks are an elite team it is harder for young players to crack the lineup, but the counter argument to that is the Hawks lose players every year due to the Cap and are always in need of ELC players to fill out the roster.

My opinion is that is is still too early to declare McNeill and Danault 1st round busts, but the clock has been ticking for a while already, so ...

Here are the players from the 2011 1st round who have played less than 10 games in the NHL:

#11. Duncan Siemens (Col) - 1 game
#16. Joes Armia (Buf) - 1 game
#18. Mark McNeill (Chi) - 0 games
#21. Stefan Noeson (Ott) - 1 game
#22. Tyler Biggs (Tor) - 0 games
#25. Stuart Percy (Tor) - 9 games
#26. Phillip Danault (Chi) - 2 games
#28. Zack Phillips (Min) - 0 games

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions