Highly Rated Prospects that have/will fall in their rating.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
What highly rated prospects have fallen in their rating and will fall this draft year.

An example:
Bobby Clarke fell to the Flyers because of his Diabetes but he turned out allright.

Alex Galchenyuk will fall 5-10 spots unless he can fix his awkward skating style.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
What highly rated prospects have fallen in their rating and will fall this draft year.

An example:
Bobby Clarke fell to the Flyers because of his Diabetes but he turned out allright.

Alex Galchenyuk will fall 5-10 spots unless he can fix his awkward skating style.

\Have you seen Galchenyuk play? Nothing awkward about his skating whatsoever.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I actually think the complete opposite, Yakupov will only bring Galchenyuk's value up.

I think it could to but at the same time scouts may be thinking its a little Gagner-Kane esque and they may think Galchenyuk is a little propped up by Yakupov. That will lead them to be looking at him entirely too negatively and it will affect his value.

Now I don't think that this is true of him. I think Galchenyuk-Yakupov is a completely different situation and Galchenyuk is hella talented but my gut just says he's going to fall a bit.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I think it could to but at the same time scouts may be thinking its a little Gagner-Kane esque and they may think Galchenyuk is a little propped up by Yakupov. That will lead them to be looking at him entirely too negatively and it will affect his value.

Now I don't think that this is true of him. I think Galchenyuk-Yakupov is a completely different situation and Galchenyuk is hella talented but my gut just says he's going to fall a bit.

That line hurt Kostitsyn in the draft

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
That line hurt Kostitsyn in the draft

Yeah, sorry I didn't explain that well.

What I meant was more that past experiences of Kane-Gagner could hurt Galchenyuk now. Scouts might be scared of something like that happening again. I mean its not often a potential generational talent comes along. Scouts very well could think Galchenyuk is getting propped up. It's a possibility

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, sorry I didn't explain that well.

What I meant was more that past experiences of Kane-Gagner could hurt Galchenyuk now. Scouts might be scared of something like that happening again. I mean its not often a potential generational talent comes along. Scouts very well could think Galchenyuk is getting propped up. It's a possibility

IMO, if scouts can't tell whether Galchenyuk has top end NHL potential by analyzing his individual game, then they're not very good scouts.

It's not about the points that Galchenyuk puts up (which, indeed, could be inflated playing with Yakapov), it's his ability in all the crucial areas that they should be looking at.

It's like when Sidney Crosby played alongside Dany Roussin. Anyone who actually watched Roussin and analyzed his individual skillset would know he was a product of Crosby's dominance, not someone with NHL top six potential.

So it should be pretty obvious when a generational star is propping up his linemates, and when that linemate actually has NHL top six potential.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
IMO, if scouts can't tell whether Galchenyuk has top end NHL potential by analyzing his individual game, then they're not very good scouts.

It's not about the points that Galchenyuk puts up (which, indeed, could be inflated playing with Yakapov), it's his ability in all the crucial areas that they should be looking at.

It's like when Sidney Crosby played alongside Dany Roussin. Anyone who actually watched Roussin and analyzed his individual skillset would know he was a product of Crosby's dominance, not someone with NHL top six potential.

So it should be pretty obvious when a generational star is propping up his linemates, and when that linemate actually has NHL top six potential.

You say it should be obvious, a lot of the time it is difficult. See Lecavalier and Richards, Richards was seen as a 5th round pick with questionable skating, he was only picked in the 3rd round by Tampa to keep Lecavalier happy. Sure enough the next season he showed he was a great individual player, but at the time they thought he was leeching from Lecavalier.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Galchenyuk is an elite prospect talent in his own right. Watched him play a ton and it's not Yakupov that is making him a Top 10 talent for next year's draft.

Galchenyuk brings so much to the game that NHL teams love (totally aside from Yakupov). He's defensively responsible, has tremendous puck control, thrives in the dirty areas of the ice (often stick handling through a maze of skates) and on most nights carrys the play for the Sting.

Scouts are surely going to try to nitpick and I am sure they will find some areas for improvement (as with most young kids) but they are going to quickly find out why he's been mentioned in the Top 3 at times (assumming his injury doesnt keep him out too long).

Put Galchenyuk out on the ice without Yakupov and scouts will surely see the star player that he is - I know I have several times when he's not lined up next to Nail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad