Salary Cap: Higher salary cap from 2025-2026

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
There are rumors that the salary cap could be over $90m from 2025 or at least from 2026. Let's say that it's 2025 if players pay the escrow debt. That changes situation a lot. Long term contracts that Barkov and Tkatchuk have, become cheaper. $10m and $9.5 will be 11.1% and 10.6% of the cap, which means that these two players will earn 21.7% of the cap, whereas this year they earn 23,6%. Of course salaries will go up and other players will have much more expensive contracts than what they have now but I was just wondering that maybe Zito's master plan is to sign the most important players for a long term with "old prices".

There might be agents and players who already include the higher cap in their demands. It's possible that they aren't willing to accept 7 or 8 years deals without getting overpaid now. Some players might prefer shorter contracts. For example Patrik Laine signed only for 4 years but of course he didn't have a very good season, which means that he might think that a shorter deal is better for him because his value goes up if he plays well but for example Huberdeau... Who knows maybe he thinks long term already now. Let's say that someone wants the same percentage of the cap in 2025/2026 what $10m is now. Then he is going to demand $11m. That is a huge problem for teams who want to be successful before the cap increases significantly but gives room for teams in future that manage to sign players now when the cap is still lower.

All in all, I think that Florida Panthers is going to have a good situation in 3-4 years because there aren't any too big contracts and key players aren't too old. Okay, Bob has one year left in 2025 but he might be traded before that anyway. Then there would be quite a lot space to sign other players.

Do you think that this Huberdeau-Tkathuk trade was related to this question of higher salary cap from 2025?

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
You know, I'm sorry to be cheeky, so let me just add: Contracts are traditionally driven by historical precedent. Huberdeau's agent would have looked at what Tkachuk or Barkov got and try to use that as a baseline in negotiations. That's how these things are done.

As an aside, I wouldn't bet on the salary cap going up forever without any hiccups. Yes, we're bordering on hyperinflation, but what comes next is going to involve economists arguing over the use of the 'D' word.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad