Beginners: High School JV Try outs

brill

Dec 31, 2015
I've been playing hockey for about a year since I got hooked on the sport. Im a freshman and I've been taking adult classes and going to stick time to work up to finally playing in a league and many players on the JV team at my high school, in califronia, have encouraged me to try out. Its a non-checking league and they said the skill level is somewhere around in-house.

What skills should I work on to make the team? What do you think the coaches will be looking for in tryouts

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Skating will be the most important, followed by being able to hit the net with your shot. You don't have to be Rocket Richard, but if you can't skate hard at the boards and then stop without having a collision, they probably won't give you a second look. Ditto with your shot: you don't need to burn a hole through the net, but you will need to be able to hit it without missing too many times. Passing is another biggie, but it kind of goes along with shooting. Pretty much everything else is regarded as "teachable"; they shouldn't really expect you to know every system inside and out, but they will expect you to follow instructions.

In the end, just try to have fun and don't be too nervous. And if you don't "make it", who cares? Tons of NHLers were cut from youth teams. There are always other options when you really want to play.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I've been playing hockey for about a year since I got hooked on the sport. Im a freshman and I've been taking adult classes and going to stick time to work up to finally playing in a league and many players on the JV team at my high school, in califronia, have encouraged me to try out. Its a non-checking league and they said the skill level is somewhere around in-house.

What skills should I work on to make the team? What do you think the coaches will be looking for in tryouts

There is a JV league that is non checking? What is this country coming to :facepalm:

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
Skate a lot. Forwards, backwards, stopping. Try to work in puck handling while you're working on your skating, but be sure to get in a lot of no puck time. It's tough to work on skating when you're chasing a puck around :)

Once you start to feel really good on your skates you can get some more puck work in.

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
There is a JV league that is non checking? What is this country coming to :facepalm:
There is a midget league (at least a tournament division) that is non-checking. I was reffing a game several years ago (2 teams from Canada, but the other 4 in the division were from the States) and the scheduler did not inform me or my partner of this fact. Right off the opening face off, there's a clean check and the coach is yelling at me. A whistle came right after and I let him know I'm not going to listen to him all game "...especially on a clean check!". He laughed and waved me over to inform me it was a non-check division. I thought he was joking. He was not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad