High rated Defencemen for 2005 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
canucksfan said:
Could someone please give me some names of some defencemen that are rated high for the 2005 draft.

Vitaly Anikeenko—Defense—Lokomotive 6’03/193

Devereaux Heshmatpour--Def--Kitchener 6’04/225

Jakub Vojta--Defense--HC Sparta Praha 6’01/185

Jack Johnson—Defense—NTDP 17 6’00/197

Jean-Philippe Paquet--Defense--Shawinig 6’02/185

Jakub Kindl--Defense—HC Pardubice 6’02/170

Wes O’Neil--Defense—Green Bay (USHL) 6’03/197

Risto Korhonen—Defense—Karpat

Mike Gauthier--Defense—Prince Albert 6’03/180

Luc Bourdon—Defense—Val’d-Or

Vyacheslav Buravchikov—Defense—Krylia

Tanner Stockwell--Defense—Airdrie

Václav Vondráček—D—HC Ceske Budej. 6’00/180

Patrick McNeill—Defense—Saginaw

Marc Staal—Defense—Sudbury

Andrew Andricopoulos—Defense—Quebec

Mike Stuart—Defense—NTDP 17

Wes Cunningham--Def—Owen Sound 5’10/160

Dayln Flatt--Defense—Saskatoon 6’02/160

thing is about 99% of these guys have the talent to be 1st round picks in the NHL draft. To me this is one of the best years for defensemen in a draft. The only guys IMO who don't have 1st round status would be Flatt and Cunningham.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Just so I can actually but this in the right place.

I'd add Ray Macias to the Kamloops list otherwise I think you've everyone with a shot at the first round.

From what I hear Macias is a defenseman who plays the wing sometimes with good size and speed that's just come up from California. He's got something like 10 pts in 12 gms but it sounds like his defense needs some work. Right now he's a wild card but if he can keep it up for an entire season he's got top ten potential (I realize that it's a big if).

Sticky*

Staal is just going to keep moving up in the rankings in the next two years. All the natural talent in the world, playing great on a terrible Sudbury hockey club. And, as a 16 yr old he is not looking out of place in the Wolves top 4. Pretty impressive for a 16 yr old. Great offensive insticts. The points will come, he is learning the ropes.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sticky said:
Staal is just going to keep moving up in the rankings in the next two years. All the natural talent in the world, playing great on a terrible Sudbury hockey club. And, as a 16 yr old he is not looking out of place in the Wolves top 4. Pretty impressive for a 16 yr old. Great offensive insticts. The points will come, he is learning the ropes.

This whole Staal familey is like the next Sutter familey. Eric Staal is a super prospect for the NHL...Marc Staal has the potential to go 1st round in the 2005 NHL draft...Jordan Staal is playing Midget AAA right now but he is ranked to possibly go in the top 5 in this years OHL draft and is suppose to be the best Staal of them all...plus they have one more brother playing like Peewee or something who knows about him????

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
The Sarnia Sting also have a couple of solid 2005 defensemen in Trevor Soloman and Matt Pelech. Also Matt Lashoff of Kitchener should be a 1st rounder next yr

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
monster_bertuzzi said:
Mike Gauthier from Prince Albert is the WHL's best 16 year old defenceman IMO. Not only is he HUGE, he's a smooth, solid skater that loves to hit people.

Mike is that you?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
VernonForrest said:
The Sarnia Sting also have a couple of solid 2005 defensemen in Trevor Soloman and Matt Pelech. Also Matt Lashoff of Kitchener should be a 1st rounder next yr

Actually Soloman is born November 4, 1987 which makes him 2006 ranked.

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
moosefan said:
This whole Staal familey is like the next Sutter familey. Eric Staal is a super prospect for the NHL...Marc Staal has the potential to go 1st round in the 2005 NHL draft...Jordan Staal is playing Midget AAA right now but he is ranked to possibly go in the top 5 in this years OHL draft and is suppose to be the best Staal of them all...plus they have one more brother playing like Peewee or something who knows about him????

Must be something in their genes :)

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
How's Heshmatspour doing (if anybody knows). He's already filled in pretty good for a 16 year old. And what country is he going to play for? He has the option to play for 3 I believe (Canada, US, Russia).

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Roughneck said:
How's Heshmatspour doing (if anybody knows). He's already filled in pretty good for a 16 year old. And what country is he going to play for? He has the option to play for 3 I believe (Canada, US, Russia).

If you check out the various OHL message boards, Kitchener fans seem to be split. Half of them love his upside and say he has shown flashes of brilliance, a couple of old-timers even comparing him to a young Larry Robinson (who played junior in Kitchener). They seem more than willing to give him time to develop. The other half say he has been a disappointment for not living up to expectations to step in right away and dominate.

Personally, I only saw him last year in Junior A. While is he rough around the edges in his own end, his tools and immense upside are undeniable.

Right now, he can only play for the U.S., the country of his birth.

He is not a Canadian citizen (only a resident), so he can not at this time play for them.

His family has no connection to Russia. His father was born in Azerbaijan, a former Soviet republic, which to my knowledge has no international hockey program.

EDIT: I was just told that Heshmatpour absolutely destroyed fellow 1987 prospect Bobby Ryan in a line brawl in the Kitchener/Owen Sound game last week. Apparently he was suspended for getting the instigator.

Don't cry for Ryan, though. He was suspended for the same thing two weeks ago.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Juan said:
If you check out the various OHL message boards, Kitchener fans seem to be split. Half of them love his upside and say he has shown flashes of brilliance, a couple of old-timers even comparing him to a young Larry Robinson (who played junior in Kitchener). They seem more than willing to give him time to develop. The other half say he has been a disappointment for not living up to expectations to step in right away and dominate.

Personally, I only saw him last year in Junior A. While is he rough around the edges in his own end, his tools and immense upside are undeniable.

Right now, he can only play for the U.S., the country of his birth.

He is not a Canadian citizen (only a resident), so he can not at this time play for them.

His family has no connection to Russia. His father was born in Azerbaijan, a former Soviet republic, which to my knowledge has no international hockey program.

EDIT: I was just told that Heshmatpour absolutely destroyed fellow 1987 prospect Bobby Ryan in a line brawl in the Kitchener/Owen Sound game last week. Apparently he was suspended for getting the instigator.

Don't cry for Ryan, though. He was suspended for the same thing two weeks ago.

Juan-what's your take on Bobby Ryan?

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Owen SOunds Cunningham has started slowly offensively but has played well defensively so far for a rookie.
As he gains experience he should gain more playing time, he'll be counted on big time next year when Giordano is gone.

My take on Ryan as an unbiased Owen Sound fan is, he's huge for his age, something like 6.5, 220bls, 16 years old...he either needs to trim down to pick up speed or work on his skating, think that's the only real knock against him, I think scouts would overlook his skating once they see his shot and nice touch around the net.
He's been surprizingly tough for a rookie and could become a bit of a hot head too...
Keep an eye on Kevin Harvey in Owen Sound too..he lead the Toronto area in scoring last year and is just starting to rack up some points in the OHL.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
balddog66 said:
Owen SOunds Cunningham has started slowly offensively but has played well defensively so far for a rookie.
As he gains experience he should gain more playing time, he'll be counted on big time next year when Giordano is gone.

My take on Ryan as an unbiased Owen Sound fan is, he's huge for his age, something like 6.5, 220bls, 16 years old...he either needs to trim down to pick up speed or work on his skating, think that's the only real knock against him, I think scouts would overlook his skating once they see his shot and nice touch around the net.
He's been surprizingly tough for a rookie and could become a bit of a hot head too...
Keep an eye on Kevin Harvey in Owen Sound too..he lead the Toronto area in scoring last year and is just starting to rack up some points in the OHL.

I think you're talking about Kevin Baker, your other 1987 rookie, who was a top scorer in the GTHL. Kevin Harvey was a 3rd-4th liner in Junior A last year with under a point per game.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Richard Demén-Willaume, Frolunda Sweden, 6"3 203
Oscar Hedman, MODO Sweden, 6"0 210
Patrik Hersley Malmo Sweden 6"3 200
Good depth in Swedish D-draft this year. I will be surprised if these three aren´t picked in the first round two rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->