High profile prospects making the team ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark

I would like to know which of the following "high profile" prospect are making the team :

Ryan Whitney (PIT)
Joni Pitkanen (PHI)
Nathan Horton (FLA)
Carlo Colaiacovo (TOR)
Ryan Suter (NAS)
Fedor Tjutin (NYR)

Thanks a lot.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
D Ryan Whitney --> Boston University
D Joni Pitkänen --> Philadelphia Flyers
C Nathan Horton --> still in FLA's camp
D Carlo Colaiacovo --> Toronto Maple Leafs/St. John Maple Leafs
D Ryan Suter --> University of Wisconsin
D Fedor Tjutin -- > Hartford Wolf Pack

Godzilla

Caps prospects:

Alex Semin (has and could plausibly play with Jagr all year)

Steve Eminger (looks like he'll be top 4, Witt's partner)

Boyd Gordon (likely get time with Sutherby on the 4th line)

Maxime Ouellet (still around, fighting for a backup spot)

#37-#93-#27*

Tjutin will not. Struggled for his first few games and was sent then. Was brought up as an emergency player since Poti couldn't play because of neck spasms and stole the show. He was the best player on the ice that game. I expect him to be the first Dman called up once Leetch gets injured.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Godzilla said:
Caps prospects:

Alex Semin (has and could plausibly play with Jagr all year)

Steve Eminger (looks like he'll be top 4, Witt's partner)

Boyd Gordon (likely get time with Sutherby on the 4th line)

Maxime Ouellet (still around, fighting for a backup spot)

Semin seems to have made the team. My feeling is that he will split time between the first line and the 4th line depending on the nights opponent. McPhee has suggested that the Caps might field a 4th line
of Semin-Sutherby-Gordon as opposed to the usual grinder/fighter 4th line and roll 4 lines. Semin will also get some power play time on the 2nd unit as well. The only question that I have is that the Capitals first 13 games with the exception of two games against Atlanta and one against Montreal are all against playoff teams from last year. You would think that Cassidy would like to get the kid out on the first line against someone other than Dallas, St. Louis, Ottawa, Toronto(twice), Philly, Anaheim and Minnesota. Talk about getting tossed in the deep end.
The same can be said about Eminger only more so. Cassidy said in the paper this morning that Eminger would play with Witt and Witt plays against the other teams top forwards.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Whitney will still play at BU for at least another year.

But, the Pens are trying to sign Fleury to a contract. It looks like he will play with the Pens this year.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Michalek is looking like a top 6 forward in camp.. Not a 18 year old rookie.
It's statements like this that build up unfair expectations of young prospects. I do agree that it's looking like he might make the team, but what if he doesn't play the way you expect him to? He's 18, and you've already got it in your head that he will be a top 6 fwd. Top 6 forwards are expected to score too, so what kind of numbers are you expecting from him?

X-SHARKIE

Baron Von Shark said:
It's statements like this that build up unfair expectations of young prospects. I do agree that it's looking like he might make the team, but what if he doesn't play the way you expect him to? He's 18, and you've already got it in your head that he will be a top 6 fwd. Top 6 forwards are expected to score too, so what kind of numbers are you expecting from him?

Jeez Von.... Your getting old arnt you? lol.

I said he's looking liike a top 6 forward ..not a rookie.

It's a figure of Speech . To show people how good he has looked.

I didnt mean he's gonna stay and be on are 2nd line.

nordique

Colaiacovo and Matt Stajan are still maybes. Stajan probably deserves a spot based on his play and on listening to Quinn's comments about him, but the Leafs have 13 forwards under 1-way pro contracts. Unless the waiver draft solves that problem (Reichel anyone?), Stajan's probably going to the AHL.

Carlo's in tougher now that the Leafs have signed Ken Klee. The Leaf defence looks like this:

McCabe
Kaberle
Berg
Klee
Marchment

One of those two spots is virtually assured to be Ric Jackman. The thinking goes that if Quinn wants Jackman as his 6th guy, he'll keep tryout Jamie Pushor as #7 so as not to have a prospect sitting out most nights as the 7th guy. If he thinks Jackman is a #7 guy, one of the prospects will stick as the 6.

Then, Colaiacovo has to beat out Pierre Hedin and Max Kondratiev for that spot, which isn't a guarantee either.

Best bet, Carlo goes to the AHL to start the season and gets called up when Marchment gets his inevitable suspension :)

If it was me, I'd keep Hedin around, solely because at 25 playing on the Rock isn't going to really improve his game that much more, whereas Kondratiev and Colaiacovo could use the ice time in St. John's alongside Brendan Bell, Jay Harrison, Regan Kelly and Chris Chartier (plus Pilar when he's healthy) to give the Baby Leafs an excellent core of young prospects.

4:20

Mar 23, 2002
B.C.
Visit site
I read that Kesler has a chance to stick with the Canucks, but that seems unlikely given the team's depth. But it still is an indication that he has impressed so far.

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
4:20 said:
I read that Kesler has a chance to stick with the Canucks, but that seems unlikely given the team's depth. But it still is an indication that he has impressed so far.
Yea, we're down to 4 players playing for the last roster spot for Vancouver. Ryan Kesler, Mike Keane, Jason King, and Ryan Ready.
So far, Kesler has really impressed, but I want Keane to stay with the Canucks.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Nathan Perrault is not *high profile* but he's damn good , he makes Darcy Tucker tradable if the organisation want to add players .

He's intense & solid on both end of the ice . Could see 3rd or 4th line duty for a big part of the year in Toronto .

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Jozeph_Balej said:
Nathan Perrault is not *high profile* but he's damn good , he makes Darcy Tucker tradable if the organisation want to add players .

He's intense & solid on both end of the ice . Could see 3rd or 4th line duty for a big part of the year in Toronto .

I don't think Perrott is anything like Darcy. If he makes any expendable, it's Belak. imo.

nordique

Jozeph_Balej said:

Nathan Perrott is also 28 years old...not exactly a prospect...and I'm not sure how "damn good" he is.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dark said:
I would like to know which of the following "high profile" prospect are making the team :

Joni Pitkanen (PHI)

Pitkanen has a spot locked up in the Flyers top 6. He's been among the Flyers 2 or 3 best defenseman in camp so far. Incredibly smooth so far, he plays with a comfort level you don't see from young defenseman.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just to clear a point.
Ryan Whitney didn't fail in camp, he wasn't in camp.
So it's not like he wasn't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->