Confirmed with Link: High Point University is building a D1 Hockey Arena

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm a Cardinal Gibbons grad (2007). When I was there I believe they were icing two separate club teams at one point. That might've been so they had someone to play against regularly though. Pretty sure Apex High has/had a club ice hockey team as well? I bet between all the schools in Wake/Durham county at least 4 programs could survive. Make it a mini league at first and see how it goes.
Apex had a club team when I was there (late 90s) so it would be fairly disappointing if they no longer do

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
There aren't any club ice hockey teams in Wake County. There were teams at one point, in some cases schools combined to make a team. These were sponsored by the Raleigh Youth Hockey Association and , maybe, the Canes.
That would be the best way to introduce High School Hockey back to Wake. There are enough kids to field at least 8 teams around Wake out to Winston. I'm sure Charlotte could field at least a few as well.
But, I will say it again, High School will take a back seat to club hockey. It's that way in most of the country, so, from a development/exposure perspective, nothing changes.

Reactions: DaveG

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I played against Kennesaw's roller team in college. They stomped us.

It makes me wonder what would happen to like club level college teams if the schools around here were able to start recruiting and playing alongside the big power schools. Would they still exist independently of the legit team or would they sort of absorb into them as like a jv/ practice squad?

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I played against Kennesaw's roller team in college. They stomped us.

It makes me wonder what would happen to like club level college teams if the schools around here were able to start recruiting and playing alongside the big power schools. Would they still exist independently of the legit team or would they sort of absorb into them as like a jv/ practice squad?
At Clarkson, we still had a club team that played in a high level men's league rather than organized intercollegiate club hockey. It did serve as a source for callups on occasion, IIRC, though the team had enough extra players over the game roster size that they didn't often need to. My freshman roommate, who had played juniors (USHL) but wasn't on the team did get a game in one year.

NoDak

Feb 15, 2017
A Southern League seems possible:

UAH - has a program and is building a new on campus rink
Liberty - has had a DI rink and intentions for some time
Austin PEAy - build a new rink in downtown Clarksville, Predators will operate the rink
Lindenwood - have a DI women’s team and now playing the Blues practice for facility closer to campus
FGCU - a minor league rink is near campus
High Point - would need a conference

UAH said that they are not worried about most of the rest of the WCHA leaving. They have now left themselves.

Athens, Georgia is building their own 5500 seat rink close to campus for the club team.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Bring high-level college hockey to the Southeast! I love watching UNCW club hockey which is nowhere near Div 1 level.

Reactions: cptjeff

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
If I ever came across a boat load of money I’d help ECU out. I think there’d definitely be a market for it in Greenville but their current rink is pure ass and probably not even acceptable for club level games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->