High drama in NA sports

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
As a diehard Red Sox fan in 1986, I went from unbelievable emotional high to an unbelievable emotional low. There was euphoria when Dave Henderson homered in the top of the 9th when the Sox were one strike away to being eliminated by the Angels to the "you can't write this stuff" choke job in Game 6 against Mets. At the time, it simply added to the long-time suffering of Sox fans who hadn't won since 1918.

I cannot think of a more drama-filled championship run than this one in North American sports but what are some others that come to mind?

The Cubs finally winning was pretty special but the loss against the Marlins prior to that was pretty crazy.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It is tough to compare and contrast different sports and examples within each based on lineage and history of franchises. That example was probably unique.

The 15-1 Vikings losing in the NFC Championship to the Falcons, compounded by a botched FG that could have iced the game from a kicker who hadn't missed a FGA or XP all season. There was the matter of the Super Bowl and no guarantee but for a moment in time that was among the most deflating losses.

A horse won the 1968 Kentucky Derby but was disqualified from victory after the mandatory vet's test. States had (have) different protocols on medications and one used in this race was found to be illegal in Kentucky. The momentary euphoria of such a significant victory was evaporated and relegated to footnote status.

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
While it didn't lead to a championship, the drama and intensity of that famous 7th inning between the Blue Jays and Rangers might be the highest I've ever seen.

Though I realize the situation might have been elevated due to my Fandom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad