Hi I need ALOT of Help

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Hi im from Australia and new to Canada and Hockey and i want to get into it. How would i do that and what should i do. I mean im confused about what positions to play (mind you D-Man seems solid). Please help of how to get started as i would like to play/learn soon as possible.

P.s. have no idea how to skate. :sarcasm:

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Uh, learn to skate. Skate a lot. Learn to skate, then learn about everything else. You're going to look like an oaf on skates at first, but everyone did at one point, and there's no shame in learning how to skate if you're not a kid anymore. Just get some skates, and get on the ice, man. Get used to skating before you worry about getting into a game.

There should be LOTS of 'learn to play hockey' classes at your local rinks, especially in Canada.

Good luck, mang.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
How much exposure have you had to hockey? Do you know the rules? I just wonder where you're starting from. If you love the sport you can play hockey without skating -- there are street and floor/dek hockey leagues and you can play in your sneakers. If you really want to play ice hockey (good for you! :handclap: ) you'll need to learn to skate first.

What do you know, what can you do and what do you have for equipment?

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
How much exposure have you had to hockey? Do you know the rules? I just wonder where you're starting from. If you love the sport you can play hockey without skating -- there are street and floor/dek hockey leagues and you can play in your sneakers. If you really want to play ice hockey (good for you! :handclap: ) you'll need to learn to skate first.

What do you know, what can you do and what do you have for equipment?

First time i heard of Ice Hockey properly was when i came here like a month ago and no i have no idea about the rules and thanks for your comments guys means alot but i really want to learn

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
First time i heard of Ice Hockey properly was when i came here like a month ago and no i have no idea about the rules and thanks for your comments guys means alot but i really want to learn

Heres some websites you can get some important rules from, such as Icing, Offsides and 2 line pass.

http://www.icehockeyrules.8m.com/

http://www.bluejackets.com/fans/rules/

And the best piece of advice I can give you is to watch, and play as many games as you can. Play whenever you get the chance, go see your local teams, even if it is just minor hockey. Every game you watch is a learning experience. Try new things when you are practising or fooling around. Don't be afraid of looking bad because your new, confidence is very important. You will do fine as long as you try your hardest.

Watch how different players do different things. Study and learn their moves and one day hopefully you can implement these things into your game.

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
When wanting to learn with no prior knowledge, just immerse yourself in hockey. Like the guy above said watch all the games you can. In fact, what I did was play NHL 2001 on a computer with some mates at university. I got to know the rules and players. From there I watched it on TV, and then from there I decided to start playing, and it was the best decision I ever made. I've been playing for 4 years now and wish I had taken it up when I first started to walk!

I would certainly advise to start skating in public sessions first. I did this but rushed it as I was just desperate to hold a stick and start taking shots. The result is that my shot is pretty good but my skating has many flaws in technique. You should learn to stop both ways, crossover forwards and backwards, and skate backwards all competently. If you do then you will be a much better player and you will think of the game first rather than your skating, as it will be second nature.

Good luck, and welcome to the greatest sport in the world! (My take on the matter anyway :D ...)

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
first is first... invest in a NICE pair of skates... something that is comfortable will make a huge difference. just make sure youre serious about it before doing so

go to public skating a few times a week depending on your availability. i roller skated before ice and it was sorta difficult for me to learn the turning and stopping, but the more and more you do it, it will just come to you all of a sudden. once you learn to do the basics you will absolutely love skating. just dont get dejected at first when you take some spills and dont be shy to look goofy in front of others

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
you're lucky, i'm from the good ol sunshine state where there is no ice to skate - why do I have to like this sport! :banghead: lol :sarcasm: :) :) :)

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
Like everybody else here said: learn to skate.

I`m just learning too. and I can tell you learning to skate first would probably be a good thing. I`d try to skate at least 3-4 times a week if you`re serious.

Take some skating lessons, power skating, or if you`re feeling brave some figure skatng. One of the best players I know figure skated as a kid and that was how he developped his amazing speed and agility.

Practice your stick skills off the ice to start. Maybe joining a ball hockey team. After a year or two of solid skating, then you can start putting it together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad