HHOF -The Committee

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My issue is with the fact that there is just 18 people deciding it

I have been a long supporter of going the route of MLB and having the say 200 media guys deciding and to get in someone needs to appear on 80% of the ballets

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I think that an open or public voting by media members would be a lot better than the current set up. Pappy's right there is no accountability because no one knows anything except for the members of committee. Its the Hockey Hall of Fame, not the Bilderberg Group the cloak of secrecy isn't needed.

I also find the secrecy frustrating. There is absolutely no accountability. Another thing that always bothered me was the committee selection process. Not sure how it works today but at least until fairly recently, I think Jim Gregory was the guy who decided who became a committee member. And of course, the committee did vote Jim Gregory into the HOF.

Lots of good discussion going down on other fronts, but I wanted to get back to this secrecy point. I've noticed that during boxing broadcasts now, they not only tell you who the judges are, but also now tell you about their biggest recent matches and how they scored them. Not at all on the same level as a HOF selection process, perhaps, but it does seem that transparency in voting is part of many other sports' attempts to eliminate "errors" and bias (baseball has also been brought up already). I have to expect that transparency->some level of accountability would help maintain/improve the standards of HOF inductee selection - even if it was just anonymous vote totals. Also agree with increasing the number of voters on the committee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad