HHOF - should Cups won as a backup goalie be considered?

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
So say a goalie like Roberto Luongo, who is on the cusp of hall of fame, kind of 50-50. Would he "winning" a cup as a back up be enough to vault him in (mind you in this debate he has no cup). Or would it still not be enough, because he hadnt led the team to the cup? Me and a friend disagreed on it curious to hear all y'alls thoughts.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Id put him in if he won the cup. Even if he doesn't he's pretty close so it is putting him above the line for me.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Cups won as the backup (presumably where their play in the playoffs was essentially nil) are irrelevant to HHOF consideration in my opinion.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I changed your thread title to reflect something a bit less vague.

Okay, a lot less vague.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
If they don't play in the playoffs why would it count. HHOF does not factor in how good of a spectator you are.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't see it pushing a "hall of very good" player into the Hall. Now if that's all Lou is, is still a question for some people to bicker out.

But I don't see it being significant for a player taking a boost. For instance, Timonen isn't being boosted in some evaluating HOF credential way because he won the cup as a 6minute per game player.

Day of the Duck

Jun 27, 2015
I don't think so. I'd imagine having a cup on your resume under any circumstance is better than not having one, but having one while not being a crucial piece of a cup run isn't going to get anyone over the hump.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Of course not. Entry to the Hall of Fame should be based on a player's contributions, not just check marks on their resume. It would have some value I suppose if the player was the backup in a situation where he split a significant amount of time with the starter.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Whenever somebody tries to make a HHOF case for Andy Moog, it will always mention that he was a "3-time Stanley Cup winner". It sounds impressive, but it won't mention that in the '85 playoffs he only played 20 minutes. Or that in the '87 playoffs he only played 2 games (with a .784 save percentage).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting idea, that ought to be enough to easily get Charlie Hodge into the HHOF. Getting your name on the Cup five times as a goalie is pretty impressive.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes and no.

For a really good goalie like Lu yes, because he's been robbed of two Vezinas so at least he'd have some sort of hardware. But if we are debating Jonathan Berniers HHOF case in 25 years then no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->