Confirmed with Link: HHOF: Fred Shero

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Long, long, long overdue and very well deserved honour. I have no idea why he wasn't already there, but it's about damn time they corrected that oversight.

Shero was attached to something that many Canadians didn't see as honorable and that was being a proponent of the Russian system during a time when it was considered antagonistic. It didn't have as much to do with Bullies Hockey as evidenced by the prior enshrinements of including Keith Allen.

Thankfully, the voters recognized Shero's accomplishments and brilliance. Much hard work went on behind the scenes as had been done with recent efforts. The secrecy of past voting was a sore spot but that is in the past.

Shero is in where he belongs.

Congratulations.

member 51464

Congrats to Fred. As a lifelong Flyer-hater, even I can admit this was long, long overdue. Hopefully his son can join him someday :)

"Win today and we walk together forever
-Fred Shero

I've always loved that quote.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Finally. The Fog was as innovative as they come, and beyond that (for people not from Philadelphia), is regarded by many as the best coach in Philadelphia sports history.

Yeoman's work by Doc Emrick over the years pushing this, a la Mark Howe.

Hopefully next year Lindros will get in.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
"Win today and we walk together forever." is one of my favorite quotes. This is long overdue. Congrats to the Shero family (except Ray :sarcasm: )

Also, another favorite Fred Shero quote:

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
Fred Shero inducted to the Hall

On top of being the first ever Jack Adams winner, here are some other key accomplishments:
· Four Stanley Cup final appearances
· Two Cups
· First coach to employ systems
· First to hire assistant coaches
· First to employ in-season strength training
· First to breakdown film
· First to travel abroad to study Soviet influences
· Among the first to use morning skates
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/fred-shero-inducted-hockey-hall-fame

Last edited by a moderator:

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga
As someone who was a fan during (and a little before) the Shero era, he was always the one guy you can point to that proves the point that coaching is a difference maker.
Long overdue.

RinaldoZac

Jun 30, 2012
Fred Shero finally gets onto the Hall!

Four cup appearances, 2 cups, first coach to employ systems, first to hire assistant coaches, first to employ strength training, first to use film, among the first to use morning skates, first ever Jack Adams winner! Sounds worthy to me!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad