Confirmed with Link: HHOF: Fred Shero

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
According to Tim and Sid on SportsNet.

Thrilled to hear this, wish I had been alive back in the 70s. Definitely a legend for the Flyers and arguably throughout sport with his "walk together forever" line.

TSN Link

Shero, who studied the fundamentals of Soviet hockey by Anatoli Tarasov, coached 10 seasons in the NHL for the Philadelphia Flyers and New York Rangers.

He led the 'Broad Street Bullies' of the 1970s to their only two Stanley Cup victories and coached in two other Stanley Cup Finals with the Flyers in 1976 and the Rangers in 1979.

He won the 1974 Jack Adams Award as coach of the year and the Lester Patrick Award in 1980 for contributions to hockey in the United States. He posted a regular season career winning percentage of .612.

Shero - the father of Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero - will be inducted posthumously, having passed away in 1990.

---------------

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=677311&navid=DL|PHI|home

When Fred Shero scrawled, “Win together today and we’ll walk together forever,” on a chalkboard in the Flyers locker room in the old Spectrum before Game 6 of the 1974 Stanley Cup Finals, it’s a good bet he never thought he’d need that good a pair of shoes.

But now, as the 40th anniversary of that first Stanley Cup is approaching, and Shero’s fingerprints are all over the sport of hockey – not just here in Philadelphia – the journey is officially over.

And while it’s probably 25 years or so too late, the injustice has been corrected – Shero, the iconic Flyers coach, will finally be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

It was announced Tuesday that Shero, who died at the age of 65 of complications from stomach cancer in November, 1990, will be inducted into the Hall posthumously on November 11 along with NHL players Chris Chelios, Scott NIedermayer and Brendan Shanahan and Canadian Women’s Olympic Gold Medalist Geraldine Heaney.

----------------------------
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/fred-shero-inducted-hockey-hall-fame

Finally, Freddy the Fog gets his due.

Fred Shero, the greatest coach in Flyers history, has been voted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

The announcement came Tuesday in Toronto.

“I am thrilled to hear that Fred Shero was elected to the HHOF,” Flyers chairman Ed Snider said. "There's no sense looking back as to why it didn't happen sooner, because today's a happy day to celebrate the fact that a guy that deserves it immensely has finally been elected to the Hall of Fame. It's a great day for the Philadelphia Flyers.”

Shero joins the 2013 class in the Builders Category, and only one coach is elected per year. The other nominee there was the late Pat Burns.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero -- son of Fred -- told CSNPhilly.com, "This is a great honor for my dad and our family since he isn't here for it. Better late than never! I have always appreciated your support of my father over the years. I am glad he has finally received his due. Hopefully it will open doors for other coaches on the builder category.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Long, long, long overdue and very well deserved honour. I have no idea why he wasn't already there, but it's about damn time they corrected that oversight.

Probably residual anger over how the Broad Street Bullies removed the divine elegance from the game of hockey and eternally relegated it to the gutter since.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Probably residual anger over how the Broad Street Bullies removed the divine elegance from the game of hockey and eternally relegated it to the gutter since.

Counter-point: Fred Shero's teams are arguably single-handedly responsible for emerging the game outside of the traditional original 6 markets in the 70's, rebranding hockey for the expansion era, and giving the city of Philadelphia an established, important hockey market for generations to come.

He changed the game forever, created a market in what is now one of the largest of the league's footholds, made leaps and bounds in the progression of the NHL from original 6 into the expansion era, and won multiple Stanley Cups with legendary teams.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Counter-point: Fred Shero's teams are arguably single-handedly responsible for emerging the game outside of the traditional original 6 markets in the 70's, rebranding hockey for the expansion era, and giving the city of Philadelphia an established, important hockey market for generations to come.

He changed the game forever, created a market in what is now one of the largest of the league's footholds, made leaps and bounds in the progression of the NHL from original 6 into the expansion era, and won multiple Stanley Cups with legendary teams.

I was being sarcastic. Every article I've seen on the matter tended to mention that the old guard that lived through the BSB era and thought it ruined hockey were still calling the shots/influential.

SgtJoseph*

Anybody who knows anything about Hockey knew YEARS ago that Fred Shero was a fantastic and innovative coach, But the powers to be still cannot quite comprehend and come to grips with the awesome " Blitzkreig" that was unleashed on their beloved NHL many years ago.
Fred in my view was the General Tecumseh Sherman of the NHL whose genius was applying his teams strengths to a point that the oppositions weakness was fully exposed and taken complete advantage of......Freds teams did not have to win the Stanley Cup, they took the damn cup and did it with a sense of braun and finesse never to be seen again in the NHL !Absolutely Brilliant ! Congratulations to Fred Shero and his entire family ! Well deserved !

Last edited by a moderator:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Anybody who knows anything about Hockey knew YEARS ago that Ray Shero was a fantastic and innovative coach, But the powers to be still cannot quite comprehend and come to grips with the awesome " Blitzkreig" that was unleashed on their beloved NHL many years ago.
Ray in my view was the General Tecumseh Sherman of the NHL whose genius was applying his teams strengths to a point that the oppositions weakness was fully exposed and taken complete advantage of......Rays teams did not have to win the Stanley Cup, they took the damn cup and did it with a sense of braun and finesse never to be seen again in the NHL !Absolutely Brilliant ! Congratulations to Ray Shero and his entire family ! Well deserved !

Fred Shero = Flyers Coach

Ray Shero = Penguins GM

Ray is Fred's son though, so you're in the ballpark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad