OT: HFWings Keeper Fantasy Hockey League: Season One

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure what the best solution is, either. You can keep the current system the same but reduce goalie points overall.

Or, and this is my preference, limit how many goalie games can be played per week. The second option makes it so it's less about playing any goalie all week, but more about having 2 quality starters to play each week.

Limiting starts means people don't hoard 5 goalies, too, opening up more waiver depth options for those with goalie injuries and such.

A final option is just to say you can only carry two NHL goalies at any time.

So in recap:
- reduce points
- limit number of starts
- limit goalies held

I like the starts option, because then at least someone could reasonably have a tandem goalie and it still be worthwhile.

Even if you limit starts, I think there is still going to be a benefit to hoarding goalies. Partly just for your own personal options, but also to keep them out of hands of rivals. I'd probably go with some combination of the 2nd and 3rd options. One goalie start per night and three max goalies held not counting prospects. If someone wanted to gamble long term on spencer knight I don't think it should be held against them on a day-to-day basis.

Or maybe it should. Screw them.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If someone wanted to gamble long term on spencer knight I don't think it should be held against them on a day-to-day basis.

This is a separate issue to me. I think we need to increase the age goalies are still under rookie status and thus can continue to count as one of our 3 prospects. The fact is they just take way longer to hit the NHL. A goalie aging out at 21 means nobody is going to roster one unless they are a super rare instance like Hart. Then when it looks like they will finally hit the NHL it will be a mad scramble on the waiver fire.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
quick question: do prospects need to be on the keeper list?

I believe it's going to be 8 keepers and 3 prospects. Double check your prospects to see if they graduated due to games played or years since draft. If they gamed or aged out, they'll need to count towards your keeper list or reenter the draft pool.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I believe it's going to be 8 keepers and 3 prospects. Double check your prospects to see if they graduated due to games played or years since draft. If they gamed or aged out, they'll need to count towards your keeper list or reenter the draft pool.

I'm probably just being stupid, but looking at the keepers page I'm assuming I pick 8 and also check mark the 3 prospects. I know none of mine aged out or played too many games (Zadina is the highest with 9).

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I don't know if current members would want to do this or are just going to nix it, but I think it would be kind of fun to have a dispersal draft for the new members.

Obv if we're going to do it, we can talk about how to do it, but I'd say everyone keeps nine players, with the understanding that you're going to lose one of your keepers.

Then you have twelve keepers available to the two new teams, and they can have a draft from those twelve players.

Of your nine keepers, you'd rank them, 1-9 and you'd have a random number generator determine which keeper you're losing. We can weight the lottery for each team (one number for your best player, two for second best, etc). Use a random number generator from 1-45 to determine which player you're losing.

1 1
2 2-3
3 4-6
4 7-10
5 11-15
6 16-21
7 22-28
8 29-36
9 37-45

Then the two teams could select two remaining players as their other two keepers to get all the teams up to eight keepers (exempt anyone who wasn't eligible last year).

Or maybe we could protect a couple keepers, I'm open to anything. Just thinking about how much harder it would be to be an expansion team in this league when everyone has eight keepers and you don't have anything yet to build around.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not into that at all. I want full control of who I keep.

Edit: What is the deal with wanting the expansion teams to be so competitive right off the bat? imo expansion teams shouldn't be very good as soon as they enter the league. They should get the scraps, not the studs other guys made the effort to acquire.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Not into that at all. I want full control of who I keep.

Edit: What is the deal with wanting the expansion teams to be so competitive right off the bat? imo expansion teams shouldn't be very good as soon as they enter the league. They should get the scraps, not the studs other guys made the effort to acquire.

And with my proposal they would get scraps and still wouldn't be able to compete really, it would just be kind of exciting to see how it goes, I guess I'm a masochist like that. It's like we're financially invested in this league, so I don't really care if I lose Tyson Barrie (who I'd keep) instead of Zach Parise (who would probably be my first non-keeper) and neither of them are going to build a contender for the expansion team.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
And with my proposal they would get scraps and still wouldn't be able to compete really, it would just be kind of exciting to see how it goes, I guess I'm a masochist like that. It's like we're financially invested in this league, so I don't really care if I lose Tyson Barrie (who I'd keep) instead of Zach Parise (who would probably be my first non-keeper) and neither of them are going to build a contender for the expansion team.
It still doesn't let me choose which keepers I want to keep. There's a chance I can lose Pastrnak or Landeskog or Rantanen or Malkin or Laine and I'm not ok with that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
All signed up, looking forward to it. Get the feeling it is going to be a couple years before I have a say in the outcome of this deal:laugh:

Try my best not to be an Atlanta expansion franchise...

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
It still doesn't let me choose which keepers I want to keep. There's a chance I can lose Pastrnak or Landeskog or Rantanen or Malkin or Laine and I'm not ok with that.

i feel the same. 8 keepers isn't very much to begin with, and i want to have a solid core of guys that are my building block each and every year

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Who wants to trade a goalie they're not going to keep? Can't decide which of my goalies I'd even want to keep (Rittich, Raanta, Dubnyk, woof), so maybe someone has a better one they're going to part with, the bar is pretty low.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Who wants to trade a goalie they're not going to keep? Can't decide which of my goalies I'd even want to keep (Rittich, Raanta, Dubnyk, woof), so maybe someone has a better one they're going to part with, the bar is pretty low.

Got robin lehner and carter hutton available...i'm still undecided if i keep markstrom (pretty sure starter with a lots of starts) or kuemper ( was my first star last season)

but we can't do a trade right now, don't we?

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I don't know if we can trade or not, I just thought we could because earlier in this thread people were asking for trade offers. My bad if not!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad