OT: HFWild 2017 Fantasy Hockey League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The league has been renewed again for the upcoming season and invitations have been sent out to last years owners!

Last year's thread: 2014-2015 Season

I know there will be a few ownership changes this year as a couple of people have said they will not be continuing their membership, so we'll be transferring those teams, complete with rosters, to new owners.

The settings from last year, which are currently carried over:

Positions:
Centers - 3
Left Wing - 2
Right Wing - 2
Any Wing - 2
Defense - 4
Goalie -2
Bench - 5
IR - 1
IR+ - 2

Categories for Forwards and Defense:
Goals
Assists
Powerplay Points
Shorthanded Points
Shots on Goal

Categories for Goaltenders:
Wins
Goals Against Average
Save Percentage
Shutouts

Other Settings:

Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
Waiver Mode: Standard
Roster Mode: Daily - Today
Trade Reviews: League Votes
Post Draft Players: follow Waiver Rules
Maximum Aquisitions Per Week: 6
Minimum Goalie Appearances: 3
Playoff Seeding Options: Division Winners Awarded Top Seeds
Playoffs: Weeks 22, 23, and 24 (6 teams)

We've decided that we will be keeping 3 players from previous seasons rosters.

==================

I'd like current and prospective owners to complete this short questionnaire as well:

1. Goalie Keepers - Do we want to limit the number of goalies someone can keep to 1?

2. Injured Reserve - Do we want to add any more IR slots?

3. Scoring - Do you want to see any categories added or removed?

4. Rosters - Do you want to see any other roster changes?

5. Expansion - If there is enough interest (at least two more potential owners than teams that will change hands) should we expand the league by 2 to 14 teams?

6. Expansion 2 - if we do expand to 14 teams, do we expand the playoffs to 8 teams?

7. Keepers moving forward (2016-2017 season and beyond) Do you want to increase the number of keepers for next year, or add "prospect" keepers going forward?

8. What would be your preferred day of the week and time for the draft?

9. Any other comments or suggestions?

================

Teams:

The Vanek Button - Wild11MN
The Larch. - FVM
Stoppable Force - Sharppi
Sir Charles - keppel146
Double Yellow Liners - hirawl
Glass Cannons - Minnesota
Team Mediocre - Lapa
Saskatoon Stickers - Puhis
Unstoppable Farce - Vashanesh
The Paper Tigers - Generic User
Will Tank For Beer - Avder
Suter McGavin - Wild Caniac
Victorious Secret - Victorious Secret
Benn'd over Brodziak - ?*

Could be you! PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
1. Goalie Keepers - Do we want to limit the number of goalies someone can keep to 1?
Yes

I would like to add one or two

Not really, maybe another skater category?

Nope

5. Expansion - If there is enough interest (at least two more potential owners than teams that will change hands) should we expand the league by 2 to 14 teams?
Yes

6. Expansion 2 - if we do expand to 14 teams, do we expand the playoffs to 8 teams?
Yes

7. Keepers moving forward (2016-2017 season and beyond) Do you want to increase the number of keepers for next year, or add "prospect" keepers going forward?
Prospects would be fun.

Any time on a sunday

Nope

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I have tentatively set the draft time for 3PM on Sunday, October 4th.

I have also set the keeper declaration deadline for Thursday, October 1st.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

Yes.

In my opinion, no need.

Nope.

Nope.

Yes.

Yes.

Nope.

Dates that aren't good for me: September 10th to September 14th. Any other date should be fine. Weekend preferably.

No.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Yes

One or two would be fine

No

No

No

Yes

Prospects, yes. Would like to maybe expand to 4 or 5 keepers next season if there's enough support.

Nights and weekends. Would prefer early evening if on a weekend.

I must break (all of) you.

Also, I have decided to grow up this year and not have a sex-related pun as my team name. The Paper Tigers are coming for ya!

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Yes

2-3

No

No

No

Yes

I'm fine with 3 keepers. 1-2 prospects could be interesting.

Weekend afternoon/night.

Rookie GMs must be shunned.

slap-hands.gif

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Yes

I'm indifferent, I'll go with the flow

Nah

Don't see a need

Personally, I prefer smaller leagues, but it's far from a dealbreaker for me

Sure

3 is a good number, for me. I think the prospect thing is an interesting idea, but we would need some very solid guidelines for something that seems very nebulous to me

Anything other than Saturday morning/afternoon. Most evenings are fine. Sunday seems to be an early contender, that works fine for me

Can't think of anything pressing

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Yes

One, maybe two.

Maybe a defensive category, like hits or blocked shots?

Nope

Why not?

Sure.

A step towards a full dynasty would be cool, to add continuity and keep owners interested (mostly talking about myself). So to answer your question, yeah, prospect keepers would be cool.

Saturday would be best for us Euros. Before 5 PM CT start, so we can actually finish it before morning.

Teamspeak/livestream of the draft.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Yes

No need

I'd rather have GWGs over SHPs, but that's just me.

Nope

Yes

Yes

Anyhing towards full dynasty gets my support

I'm ok with whatever is decided

Thanks for doing this

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
1. Goalie Keepers - Do we want to limit the number of goalies someone can keep to 1? No more than one, but there should be an option to go with three skaters if wanted, rather than being forced to go with two skaters and a goalie

2. Injured Reserve - Do we want to add any more IR slots? Last year's settings were fine

3. Scoring - Do you want to see any categories added or removed? I like it how it is

4. Rosters - Do you want to see any other roster changes? Not really, but read my prospect keepers section for an idea

5. Expansion - If there is enough interest (at least two more potential owners than teams that will change hands) should we expand the league by 2 to 14 teams? I wouldn't mind.

6. Expansion 2 - if we do expand to 14 teams, do we expand the playoffs to 8 teams? Yes.

7. Keepers moving forward (2016-2017 season and beyond) Do you want to increase the number of keepers for next year, or add "prospect" keepers going forward? Same number of keepers, but possibly add up to two prospects to keep. Guys you draft but don't make the NHL, otherwise it is a wasted draft pick. Make the cutoff 20 NHL games or something, so they can have a year or two of 9 game try-outs but still be owned by a GM in our league. Kind of an honor system with us to not pick up another guy, or we could just expand the rosters by two players and pick up prospects, while not allowing GMs to use it for non-prospect players.

8. What would be your preferred day of the week and time for the draft? I'd prefer weekends with a heads-up on time. I can pretty much work with anything.

9. Any other comments or suggestions? Nada

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Yes

No opinion

Looks pretty fine to me.

No

Sure

Sounds good.

Prospect keepers could be fun.

Preferably weekend and not too late. Start before 4pm central (midnight Finnish time) if possible.

Nope.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Added FVM as a co-manager to my team as a stopgap because I didn't see a way to just transfer it from my POV. If Avder can remove me and make FVM the manager or something through the comish tools that'd be great.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Added FVM as a co-manager to my team as a stopgap because I didn't see a way to just transfer it from my POV. If Avder can remove me and make FVM the manager or something through the comish tools that'd be great.

I'll take a look at it.

Sorry I haven't gotten everyone's name and team in the OP yet, it's been a busy weekend for me.

Edit: Just have him PM me with his email address, I can do it in commish tools then.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
There are still a few people who have yet to join the league.

And I still have to do work on listing whos in as what team and tally up the poll.

Eh, we've got over a month before the draft.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Did we firm up a date/time for the draft?

It's set now for the 4th, and it's looking like I'll be out of town that weekend, at least until later in the afternoon/evening (which I know causes trouble for our Finnish contingent).

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Allright, finally went through and tallied everything. Anyone who didn't answer any of the questions got counted as "not voting", and Victorious secret, despite renewing his team did not answer anything, so he went with NV down the list.

1. Goalies - limit to 1?

10 yes, 1 NV
You may only keep one or zero goalies of your three keepers.

2. More Injured-Reserve:
1 or 2 - 3, 2 or 3 - 1, None - 3, Not Voting - 4
No changes to IR slots

3. Scoring
No - 7, Not voting - 2, hits/blocked shots - 1, +GWG -SHP 1
Scoring remains the same

4. Rosters
No - 9, Not Voting - 2
No Roster Changes

5. Expansion if enough interest?
Yes - 6, No - 2, Not Voting - 2, Dont Care -1
We will expand if we have enough interest

6. Expand playoffs to 8 if we expand?
Yes - 9, Not voting - 2
Playoffs will expand to 8 teams if we expand the league

7. More keepers in the future:
Prospects - 6, Full Dynasty - 2, No - 2, Not voting - 2
We will implement a prospects system.

8. Draft Date and Time
No one wanted a weekday, and as far as the weekend, one person wanted saturday, one person did not want saturday, one person wanted sunday, 5 people expressed no preference of which day on the weekend, 2 people did not vote, one person wanted it before 4pm central time, and one person wanted it before 3pm central time.

The draft is currently set for 3PM on Sunday, October 4th. That seems to fit with the vast majority of the responses. Does anyone have any objections to that?

9. Other stuff: Puhis wanted us to get on teamspeak during the draft. That could be pretty cool. Thoughts?

Teams:

THREE TEAMS HAVE YET TO SIGN UP.

LAPA and HIRAWL, RENEW YOUR TEAMS! Pm me if you need to use a new email this year.

The 3rd unrenewed team is the one that's up for grabs: Karlssons of Anarchy. If someone on last years waiting list wants it, it is yours.

And if we have two more interested owners, we will expand the league to 14 teams. The two expansion teams will have a completely blank slate, and one of them WILL win the McDavid lottery.

I've got a fair idea about how to determine who wins that, and it will involve picking a number between 1 and 1,000 inclusive. I'll first PM the number I've selected to a neutral party (probably a global mod or admin from another part of the board), and then the two owners will PM both myself and that neutral party their numbers. Whoever is closest wins McDavid. In case of a tie, we'll do it again.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I am still interested in joining. Not sure how high I am on the waiting list if you were keeping track.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I am still interested in joining. Not sure how high I am on the waiting list if you were keeping track.

If none of the others on that list have answered in a day or two, you'll get Karlssons of Anarchy.

If someone does, you might be one of the expansion owners.

So, PROSPECTS!

We need to come up with a definition for who counts as a prospect. I think the simplest way to do it is to count NHL games. If It's under say, 35, he's a prospect. If he's played his 35th game, he needs to either be added to your roster permanently, or thrown back into the pool.

How do we want to track everyone's prospects? Do we want to add two roster spots that MUST contain your prospects or be empty?

And when and how are we selecting our prospects? Separate draft? Final two rounds? First two picks after keepers?

Let's figure this out so we can all adjust our draft strategies for this year, knowing we'll be keeping 3 keepers and 2 prospects NEXT year.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Think prospects should be wherever you are comfortable taking one. If it's right away, in the last round or never, gotta live with the consequences of your decision- such is fantasy sports. If someone doesn't want to draft a prospect but drops two players at the end of the season and picks two out of the free agent pool then that's fine with me.

With some teams inevitably auto-drafting it would be impossible to mandate that a prospect be taken in a certain round.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Think prospects should be wherever you are comfortable taking one. If it's right away, in the last round or never, gotta live with the consequences of your decision- such is fantasy sports. If someone doesn't want to draft a prospect but drops two players at the end of the season and picks two out of the free agent pool then that's fine with me.

With some teams inevitably auto-drafting it would be impossible to mandate that a prospect be taken in a certain round.

Agree 100%

If I want to take a guy like Marner, who won't make an NHL impact for a year or two in the 4th round of the draft, I should be able to. Or if I want to wait until after the draft to pick up the scraps, I should be able to.

And as for who belongs to who, I feel like there should just be a table in the fantasy hockey thread OP and an honor system that you won't pick anyone else's guys up. That way we don't have to expand the bench just for two players that may or may not accidentally end up in a lineup at some point.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I renewed my team now.

Also, October 4th isn't a good time for me.

Last edited:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Yes, read my post above yours.

Rest of it looks good, though.

Unfortunately you seem to be in the minority :(

But see below as Lapa also has a time conflict.

Agree 100%

If I want to take a guy like Marner, who won't make an NHL impact for a year or two in the 4th round of the draft, I should be able to. Or if I want to wait until after the draft to pick up the scraps, I should be able to.

And as for who belongs to who, I feel like there should just be a table in the fantasy hockey thread OP and an honor system that you won't pick anyone else's guys up. That way we don't have to expand the bench just for two players that may or may not accidentally end up in a lineup at some point.

This sounds reasonable, and a table to track prospects seems like a good idea. But if we're drafting them, it reasons that we should expand the bench slots by two and make an honor system rule that those two slots hold only prospects. If a prospect "graduates", you have to either dump the prospect, or dump someone else and pick up another prospect.

Also, if we wanted, we could do an offline post-draft prospect draft each year to give everyone a fair shot at players who were just drafted. To participate, you'd have to declare that you were dropping one or both of your current prospects.

Of course, you can keep more than 2 prospects on your roster if you want, but in that case they take up regular roster spots. Also you can only keep any 3 regular skaters (1 of which may be a goalie) and any two prospects as keepers.

I suppose if you wanted to keep 3 prospects and you only had two non-prospects you wanted to keep, you could keep prospects with your regular keepers as well.

How does any of this sound?

I renewed my team now.

Also, October 4th isn't a good time for me.

Allright.

Hmm.

I wish our members were more active so we could quickly decide on a date. That 3rd would work for me as well, if it works for everyone else I'd see if I can grab a time slot that day.

And hirawl still hasn't renewed his team.

And if no one from the wait list chimes in to claim Karlssons of Anarchy, I'll transfer it to Wild11MN. After that if anyone wants in they can get one of the expansion teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->