HFWF OT #9:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
When every summer for the past decade has been a "record breaking" summer for heat. It's almost as if climate change is a thing. Are we still allowed to talk about that though? Heard Ford is banning the talk from all schools because he is a literal piece of shit who needs to croak.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Seriously. Buck a Beer. Privatized weed sales. The biggest distraction tactics I've seen in this province in a long, long time.

Breweries are now our moral compass.

Reactions: BonMorrison

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Ah gerrymandering, if you want to see some crazy ass gerry mandering look at MI's voting map.

The public (us) just signed and got a petition to be put on the ballot to end gerrymandering in Michigan, and the politicians fought it every step of the way, they are still fighting it. It's crazy.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The fun thing about all of this is that Ford is also raising the taxes on beer by 3 cents/dollar. on November 1st. It's something Wynne had originated but Ford is keeping.

So he lowered the minimum price from 1.25, to 1.00 per bottle, but is also allowing the 3 cent tax increase.

So it works out to be roughly a .22 cent difference per bottle. For a 24 case, that works out to be $5.28. And this is supposed to be his big move? 5 dollar savings on a 24 pack?

Come on now...

Reactions: BonMorrison

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Meh, he's a breath of fresh air compared to Wynne.

Liberals had it too good for too long in Ontario. Time for a change.

Yeah, time to go back to a 2 decade old sex-ed ciriculum, and ban any talk/teachings of climate change from schools.

Wynne was awful. Her handling of the Ontario Hydro was a disgrace, but Ford is just as bad.

Economically, maybe there are some good changes, I wouldn't necessarily call a 5 dollar difference on a 24 that big of an economical change, but at least he seems somewhat motivated to help out tax payers, but Social, and Environmental policies are going to be awful.

Essentially, the damage Wynne did Economically, Ford is essentially going to do that same level of damage in Social and Environmental areas.

The Liberals and Conservatives are essentially ruining the province together.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I just have to laugh at the whole sex-ed squabble.

Maybe parents should actually step up and teach their kids what they feel they need to be taught regarding sex ed, instead of passing the buck and then screaming about how the schools decide to address the issue.

Or maybe, whatever isn't covered in the schools' sex ed program, parents can fill in when asked. If their kid comes out of the class confused, or has questions, maybe the parents can, you know, be parents, and help their kids out instead of blasting the government for some perceived misstep. These same parents were just as irate when the Libs attempted to change it as well.

I also got a kick out of the "rogue" teachers who are going to continue teaching however they want, in violation of the "new" curriculum. Because that'll solve the problem. :laugh:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Parents aren't trained to teach their kids these things.

Also there is a very large amount of children that are abused by their parents mentally and physically for these things that need to be taught by professionals so.

The whole "parents should teach" is so bullshit. Kids are still kicked out of their homes and disowned for being gay/trans/etc - but yeah, they should be the ones that teach.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Parents aren't trained to teach their kids these things.

Also there is a very large amount of children that are abused by their parents mentally and physically for these things that need to be taught by professionals so.

The whole "parents should teach" is so bull****. Kids are still kicked out of their homes and disowned for being gay/trans/etc - but yeah, they should be the ones that teach.

Alright, then what's the problem?

Today's parents somehow aren't trained to teach their kids about the birds and the bees, and heaven forbid the parents brush up their knowledge and learn about it, for the sake of their child's safety. Maybe that's too hard.

I'm sure many just can't be bothered.

You're absolutely right, some people just plain shouldn't have kids, especially if they're so closed-minded.

I feel for any kid who has to put up with that kind of abuse. But then what's wrong with the sex-ed curriculum? Is it that the parents don't want the kids to learn about this stuff regardless of who teaches it? Bob and Peggy-Sue don't want their third grader to learn about gender dysphoria?

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Why should kids even go to school ? Have their parents teach them everything. All biases included. It's much more effective and efficient this way.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I don't understand what I just read tbh - you were all over the place. The entire purpose of the revised sex-ed curriculum was to keep kids informed and safe - everything from gender identity to sexting to consent. Parents aren't equipped to teach these things, teachers are. Taking all of that away in 2018 is so f***ing harmful and putting the onus on dumb parents is so destructive.

Reactions: Max Money

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm not sure there's any point discussing this with you, if you don't see an issue with going back to a two decade old curriculum, no matter what the subject is, let alone sex education.

Notice the term in there? Sex EDUCATION? It's almost as if it should be up the educational services, like schools, to teach that sort of thing, because parents aren't trained teachers. There's a vast difference between knowing about, and having sexual relations, and teaching that information properly to a young mind so they know the safeties and dangers that come with sex.

Part of Sex Education, is Sexual Orientation, whether someone is straight, gay, bi, trans, etc, those need to all be taught, partially to help the young minds figure out what orientation they are, but also so they are seen on the same level, because they are.

Sometimes parents have some trouble adjusting to having a child that is a LGBTQ. As @BonMorrison sometimes it's bad, and it leads to abuse, but other teams, it can take parents time to adjust to that, and that's normal. However expecting these people to teach their children these things, as they are adjusing to it themselves, simply doesn't make sense.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Why should kids even go to school ? Have their parents teach them everything. All biases included. It's much more effective and efficient this way.

School is just so the government always knows where we are!

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Serac

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
school teaches you so much stuff you'll never need, but teaches you basically nothing about life. its something that bothers me alot

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Hey, some parents still do that. :laugh:

There's going to be an inherent bias regardless of who these kids learn from. If they can get this information from multiple sources (parents, teachers, friends, counselors, doctors, etc.), wouldn't that be beneficial instead of relying solely on teachers to divulge whichever sex ed they apparently feel like teaching?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Even putting aside the LGBTQ portion of the new sex-ed curriculum (not that I'm diminishing it) but the old one doesn't teach CONSENT. That is actually so f***ed.

Reactions: Max Money

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Hey, some parents still do that. :laugh:

There's going to be an inherent bias regardless of who these kids learn from. If they can get this information from multiple sources (parents, teachers, friends, counselors, doctors, etc.), wouldn't that be beneficial instead of relying solely on teachers to divulge whichever sex ed they apparently feel like teaching?

Sure. And proper thorough teaching of the subject at school is a great first step in that process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->