HFVan Hockey League 2020-21

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Draft clock will start today. Running from 9AM PST to Midnight PST, the clock will have the following limits, subject to change if we fall behind: 1st - 4 hours 2nd - 3 hours 3rd - 3 hours 4th - 2 hours 5th - 1 Hour If you are going to be unable to make your pick in the time window provided, send a list to someone

Reactions: Weylspin

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
It's Harley a Surprise When Weyl Makes Deals at the Draft
Screenshot (38).png

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
We have a trade to announce..

Detroit trades pick #27 to Toronto in exchange for picks 36th OA, 68th OA and Toronto’s own 3rd round pick in 2022

:wings Acquires: 36th OA, 68th OA, 2022 TOR 3rd

:leafsAcquires: 27th OA.

Reactions: Dabeast

Nail

Mar 21, 2014
Vegas releases the following pending free agents:

Cody Eakin
Tobias Rieder
Gerald Mayhew
Frans Nielsen
Sam Gagner
Joakim Nordstrom
Dion Phaneuf
Malcolm Subban
Marian Gaborik
Vladislav Kamenev
Mirco Muller
Hunter Miska
Cliff Pu
Mario Kempe

Reactions: Dabeast

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
:vegas Signs:
Leo Komarov 1 x 1M
Mathieu Olivier 1 x 800K
Henri Jokiharju 2 x 1.5M
Tyler Benson 2 x 800K
Jonathen Dahlen 1 x 900K
Kieffer Bellows 2 x 900K
Ryan Suzuki 3 x 900K ELC
Grigori Denisenko 3 x 1.775M ELC

Reactions: Nail and Dabeast

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
:sharksBrinson Paschinuk, Carson Focht
:leafsAcquires: Carson Bantle, 2022 5th SJ

=====
:flamesAcquires: Artturi Lehkonen
:islesAcquires: Matt Murray, 2021 MTL 5th
======
Dzingel All The Way
:coyotes2Acquires: James van Riemsdyk (50% retained)
:canesAcquires: Ryan Dzingel, 2022 ARI 1st, *Cond. 2022 ARI 3rd

* ARI 3rd becomes ARI's 2022 4th if James van Riemsdyk does not make the NHL playoffs in 2021-22

======

:rangers Acquires: Henri Jokiharju
:vegas Acquires: 44th OA(Mason Lohrei), 2022 NYR 4th
======
Fine Kunin The Roster
:edmontonAcquires: Filip Zadina, Luke Kunin
:hawksAcquires : William Karlsson (50% retained for the next 2 seasons), Sami Niku

======

Last edited:

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Meet the HFVHL: Washington Capitals' GM E D

Opening-Night-Red-Carpet0059-1-750x500.jpg

---
Staff: How do you feel about your team's performance this season, and how does that line up with your original expectations?

E D: I thought my team performed admirably in the regular season. We had many young rookies step in and make an incredible impact on the roster, including Josh Norris, Eeli Tolvanen, Oliver Wahlstrom and Ilya Sorokin. We had expectations we would be on the lower end of the standings this year but our guys certainly played well above what I expected them to. Getting that invaluable playoff experience is key for these guys, and when we begin to compete, they'll be better off thanks to this season. The future looks bright in the Capital!

Staff: Speaking of the young rookies, your team has seen quite the overhaul since your first year in Washington. Could you talk more about the youth movement, moving on from the old core, what you think your new young core needs, and how soon you expect to be contending?
E D: When I took over as General Manager, we anticipated being a competitive team quickly. Our issues were in goal, with troubles in net every year resulting in early exits or missing playoffs. At that time I understood that we needed to change course and quick, otherwise we would be wasting years trying to push for a playoff spot with little improvement while our veterans like [Steven] Stamkos, [Blake] Wheeler and [Evgeni] Kuznetsov aged out of their primes.

Some shrewd moves (and some less than favorable ones) have changed our roster landscape entirely. We look at all our fresh young faces now with the club and see some key contributors, with many prospects like Cole Perfetti, Kirill Marchenko, Brendan Brisson who should slide into the roster in the next few years. We've identified that our biggest needs are drafting high impact players to lead this next core, ideally on our backend. With the addition of [Fabian] Lysell in this most recent draft, we feel confident with the forwards in the wings. Our hope is seriously begin to contend after another 2 to 3 more seasons of development and growth for our young guys as they progress in their roles.

Staff: Aside from the names you just mentioned, who do you think makes up the young core that will make you a contender in 2-3 seasons? And which of those shrewd moves helped you the most in forming this young core?
E D: While we await our rookies to take their next steps we have had already established players step into leadership roles, which I believe has played a big part in our quick success here. Our newly minted captain Conor Garland is leading the charge up front, while we additionally have forwards like Robby Fabbri and Troy Terry finding their footing in top 6 roles. On the backend we are led by the Norris nominated Tyson Barrie, to go along with other defensive staples like Vince Dunn and Jonas Brodin. Additionally, we look forward to welcoming back Tony DeAngelo to our team, who we believe has improved in his demeanor after taking our mandatory 12 week course on workplace harassment, cultural appreciation, and how to create and use a proper twitter burner account. He should be a big addition to our lineup once he returns.

While at the time many of my trades were poorly received by both fans and other GMs, I believe some of my deals in shipping out core players have allowed me to acquire this special new core. Especially the Kuznetsov trade which allowed me to land not only a future top line winger in Oliver Wahlstrom, but arguably the next hottest goaltender in Ilya Sorokin, who we immediately knew we would need to lock up long term. As a GM, I have proven my trading abilities are exceptional, having one trade of the year in 2019/20 and coming a close 2nd in this recent campaign.

Staff: Now that you've mentioned him, I have to bring this up. You've been quite outspoken about Tyson Barrie being, in your words, snubbed of the Norris Trophy this season. Is there anything else you'd like to say on the matter?
E D: Thank you for bringing this up. It has been hard to speak out about this when I have not had a good platform, especially with the league keeping things hush hush. I do believe that there is a league-wide campaign to disparage and besmirch Tyson and this has been proven after the award voting. Tyson was one of the very few defencemen to lead their team in points in HFVHL, let alone having the most actual points in the ENTIRE LEAGUE by a defenceman. Anything less than Hall of Fame talk is ridiculous for the caliber of season he had. People dismissed him when he had a poorer season than usual last year, but then he puts up a career pace year and no one gives him his props. Utterly ridiculous and shameful. I'll anticipate my fine by the league in the mail for this outburst.

Staff: Well, I wish you luck on your crusade here. Let's move on and talk about the draft. You managed to snag Fabian Lysell with your first pick of the draft. What do you think of him as a prospect, and when do you anticipate that he'll be joining your NHL roster?
E D: We were excited to acquire another top 10 selection this draft and very pleased to have the opportunity to draft a talented and skilled player in Lysell. We see him as being a big presence as a skilled top 6 player, with his speed, his puck handling skills and his motor that never seems to stop. We have heard of behind the scenes issues with Lysell but that isn't anything we haven't dealt with before in Washington. The combination of skill and effort he displays on a nightly basis was too tantalizing to pass up. We hope Fabian can begin his NHL career after another season or two oversees developing his game in the SHL.
Staff: You're down to just a 5th round pick for the rest of the draft. Are there any plans to move around or acquire more picks? Obviously you don't have to reveal them, but are there any players you're hoping to grab?
E D: We have made several attempts to secure another selection but unfortunately they have fallen through. There ideally were a pair of defensemen we saw that had 1st round potential that were available in the 2nd round, with a deal to acquire then falling through at the last minute (involving one of my defencemen but will not name which one). There will always be a thirst to acquire more youth in our system but for now we are happy with what we have and will only make deals that make sense to our team. While there aren't many great options this draft in the later rounds, we have eyes set on one player in particular to select with our 5th rounder that we believe will be a slam dunk pick.

Staff: Let's talk about your plans for free agency. Are you planning on re-signing any of your pending UFAs? Are there any positions on your roster you'd like to upgrade through the UFA market?
E D: We actually have some exciting news coming down the pipeline regarding one of our free agents on our back end. We are finalizing the details on a contract with Jonas Brodin, who was a huge presence on our back end while Tony [DeAngelo] was taking his classes. We're happy to be keeping him here. We may be looking to acquire an additional piece at forward, as our top 6 is missing an additional scoring threat after the deadline trade of Jordan Eberle. We will be keeping our options open though for depth scoring, though we already anticipate there will be many players will vying for roster spots come training camp.

Staff: I know you said you hope to be a top contender in the next 2-3 seasons, but what's the goal for next season?
E D: Next season will be an adjustment period as we see who takes steps forward to show they belong on the roster moving forward. We anticipate that while we may push for a playoff spot, we are not actively competing with those at the top of the league. Our goal this season is to determine who can help us to reach the next level and analyze where the holes in our lineup may be. Ideally we will add another top prospect in the 2022 draft, but we will see how the year shakes out before we get ahead of ourselves.

Staff: What are the lessons you've learned in the time you've been GM in Washington? Have any of your philosophies or opinions changed over the years?
E D: I've definitely learned a great deal on evaluating players in trade talks, as if you look at some of my original deals compared to ones in recent seasons, I have made some improvements. I've also come to learn the value of development and draft selections. My first couple years I had bare and minimal draft picks, and after 2020, my prospect cupboard has begun to become full. I used to believe that a few key players could get you over the hump, but I realize now it takes a very deep team effort. I'd like to thank GMs who have been kind and helpful in teaching me and providing guidance, including my former AGM Misko, Weylspin, Maticus, Try, Vanilla, Fosco and of course, Goon from hfvhl. The rest of the GMs are big, unsupportive meanies to be quite honest.

Staff: Anything else you want to talk about?
E D: I'd like to add one final comment. Please stop sending Conor Garland pictures or videos of helmets being thrown at him, or even throwing helmets at him in the street! We have been very supportive during this hard time for Conor but the repeat harassment from certain individuals is causing a very negative affect on him. Please stop.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Trades from yesterday I didn’t post yet:

To ANA: 2021 PIT 3rd 84TH ov
To NSH: 2021 ANA 4th 117TH ov + 2022 BOS 5th

To Anaheim: CAR 2021 4th, FLA 2021 4th
To Carolina: VEG 2021 3rd

To PIT: 56th Overall
To CHI: 2022 FLA 2nd + 2022 WPG 5th

Canucklehead19

Jun 20, 2018
Victoria
Montreal Canadians would like to do the following roster moves. We would like to say a special thanks to Kovalchuk, Crawford and Jack Johnson(MR.Banna Pancakes) for their services.

Release

Greg Pateryn
Brandon Manning
Ilya Kovalchuk
Cory Crawford
Zack Smith
Juho Lammikko
Dan Renouf
Dmitri Sheshin
Andy Welinski
Jack Johnson
Brandon Pirri