• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
How many times does it need to be re-iterated that Nill told Shapiro Guryanov would have been on the team but they didn't have the cap room to call him up?

Everyone acting like Guryanov was **** last season when that's complete BS.

What does that have to do with what I said? None of that means he's guaranteed to be an NHL regular.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
What does that have to do with what I said? None of that means he's guaranteed to be an NHL regular.

I think your take on Oettinger having more upside than Guryanov is hysterical.

I don't think you know what "upside" is if you really think that lmao.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas

One was drafted in 17, the other in 15. Both are still in the A. It’s pretty cut and dry to me.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

What...?

Kindly do explain what you think “upside” is, then.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

No I don't think you know what upside means my man. Oettinger has the potential to top out as a higher level NHL player than Gurianov in my opinion, thus I think he has higher upside.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Is it that crazy to think Oettinger has higher upside? I don't think so.. just as I don't think it's crazy to think Gurianov has higher upside.

I think you can make a case for either one.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
One was drafted in 17, the other in 15. Both are still in the A. It’s pretty cut and dry to me.

I think this is misleading. Oettinger is going to be competing for an AHL back-up spot with Point, while Guryanov is going to be trying to make the NHL. There's almost a full league of difference between them. 2 seasons is not a ton of time to make that up. Then again, I think a goalie has to reach a higher level on an individual level to reach the NHL, and even higher to make a real impact on the team. I know this is pointing out the obvious, but the better player needs to improve less to reach the same upside. I say that because often the assumption is that the younger player has the higher upside.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
There's this dope website called Google where you can look up the definition of words. Pretty cutting edge stuff.

No need for the smart-ass comments - you failing to even attempt to explain your point tells me all I need to know.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, I think Otter has a higher upside, no doubt. Can't see the need to insult or demean someone who thinks that.
The only way he doesn't is if you already have his ceiling very high, so that in your mind, he can't get any better than what you expect. If your definition of upside presumes both are quality prospects, and upside means the relative rank they will actually attain at their respective positions, I still think Otter would win. IMHO, he will be nearly as good as Bishop when he hits his prime and Guri will be a mid level second line, one dimensional scoring FW, with some defensive warts. Yeah, his speed will generate some exciting chances, but there isn't conclusive evidence at any level that he can bury enough of those to be a top, top line forward. Nill seems to have drafted for speed and figured they could teach him to shoot better (similar to the Val pick). I think most teams would draft based on what they have actually accomplished at lower levels.

Of course, just MHO. I believe Otter will be very good, something it doesn't seem many posters here agree with. Maybe its the JC pick, the general idea that first round goalies are a crap shoot, etc. For all our sakes, I hope Otter is everything they think he can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad