• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Pretty funny that unproven juniors players are getting picked over a guy who just scored 48 points in 57 games in the AHL.

Also LOL if you think anyone but Guryanov has the highest ceiling of this group.

I guess you would agree that Adam Mascherin > Denis Guryanov then, right? One year younger, similar AHL production and a proven junior track record.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I guess you would agree that Adam Mascherin > Denis Guryanov then, right? One year younger, similar AHL production and a proven junior track record.

No but anyone trying to outsmart themselves by picking Damiani over Guryanov right now has no business evaluating talent.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
The only thing funny about that was Gurianov putting up 5 points in the KHL after getting drafted by the Stars.

#HighOctaneOffense

You bitch about everything so never know when you really have something valid to complain about.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
No but anyone trying to outsmart themselves by picking Damiani over Guryanov right now has no business evaluating talent.
Based on?

Damiani was one of the best players this year in the OHL on a mediocre Kitchener team and took massive strides in his development.

Guryanov had an okay draft+4(!!) year and is behind his development curve relative to his peers.

Pretty simple stuff.

Reactions: M88K

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
The more I think about it, the more I feel "potential-wise" it's tough between Dellandrea and Harley.

What's Dellandrea's true "max" potential? Our own Dylan Larkin type player or similar/close to that? (Larkin is only 22 though so we don't exactly know what his ceiling is either, but I'd happily take current Larkin as Dellandrea's ceiling :))

And Harley's "max" potential is likely somewhere between Klingberg and Ristolainen?

Just best case scenario, what can we get out of these guys at their best, realistically?

And worst case scenario, I still think Dellandrea is a NHL player....so I'm gonna change my vote to him...I'm just really curious to see what he could do in a big role on a good team

If he hits absolute ceiling he’s Ryan O’Rielly. More realistically he will end up as a Mikael Backlund or Brayden Schenn.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
What’re we evaluating this on, anyway? Ceiling? Talent? How close they are? No one really knows.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Pretty funny that unproven juniors players are getting picked over a guy who just scored 48 points in 57 games in the AHL.

Also LOL if you think anyone but Guryanov has the highest ceiling of this group.

Guess that makes Justin dowling our best prospect then eh?
Also puts Joel L'Esperance as our best goal scoring prospect, and who can forget Stars Legend Travis Morin, and Curtis McKenzie certainly turned his AHL scoring into an NHL success story too.
They both did so much for the Stars.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Guess that makes Justin dowling our best prospect then eh?
Also puts Joel L'Esperance as our best goal scoring prospect, and who can forget Stars Legend Travis Morin, and Curtis McKenzie certainly turned his AHL scoring into an NHL success story too.
They both did so much for the Stars.

Could you have used worse examples to make your point?

Comparing Gurianov to 28 year old Dowling or 24 year old L'Esperance or 35 year old Morin or 28 year old McKenzie is stupid.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Gurianov would be a really solid prospect if he was drafted anywhere outside of the 1st round. Gets shit on though cause Nill made a stupid choice in drafting him so early and unfortunately the guys taken after him have already made their impacts

The guy needs to work on his consistency/effort in the defensive end but let's not pretend he doesn't have potential. We saw it right here and throughout the season in the AHL and NHL what he's capable of offensively.

Reactions: Bfantz

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
What’re we evaluating this on, anyway? Ceiling? Talent? How close they are? No one really knows.

Is it not some combination of all of that?

How good can this player be.
How likely is this player to to make the NHL.
How skilled is this guy - does he have NHL skill in one area or multiple areas.

Those are the three main things I look at.

Then if I see players as being close, things like age and NHL readiness play into it. That is why I have Dellandrea ahead of someone like Harley. Skill wise and top end potential.. I'll take Harley over Dellandrea. Likelihood of making the NHL, transitioning those juniors skills/abilities and doing it soon? Dellandrea all day. Hence Dellandrea #2 and Harley #3 on my board.

But I'm sure everyone looks at doing their rankings differently.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Gurianov would be a really solid prospect if he was drafted anywhere outside of the 1st round. Gets **** on though cause Nill made a stupid choice in drafting him so early

The guy needs to work on his consistency/effort in the defensive end but let's not pretend he doesn't have potential. We saw it right here and throughout the season in the AHL and NHL what he's capable of offensively.

But when does that potential translate into something tangible? Like your clip just reminds me of his KHL highlight package.. lots of flash with zero finish. "Potential" only goes so far if you never put those chances in the net. Yes, he can skate and get past defenders but can't score on the rush. Sound like another Russian who was just bought out??

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
But when does that potential translate into something tangible? Like your clip just reminds me of his KHL highlight package.. lots of flash with zero finish. "Potential" only goes so far if you never put those chances in the net. Yes, he can skate and get past defenders but can't score on the rush. Sound like another Russian who was just bought out??

Took him some time in AHL to start burying those chances too but this year we saw he has that ability. Now whether or not that happens at this level is obviously a big question mark but he certainly has the ability to make it happen. Worked with Hintz so hopefully Gurianov can follow his path. This past season was a big step forward for him too so hopefully he can build off of that. Offensive ability isn't my concern with him though. He needs to pick up his defensive game/effort otherwise he won't even play or get his chances offensively.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Could you have used worse examples to make your point?

Comparing Gurianov to 28 year old Dowling or 24 year old L'Esperance or 35 year old Morin or 28 year old McKenzie is stupid.
When McKenzie was 22 he put up 65p in the AHL, more than Gurianov has ever dreamed of scoring at the same level, but if it is stupid to compare players who've produced more for basically their entire AHL career than another player because he's a few years younger, why is it and i'm not quoting you here "Pretty funny that unproven juniors players are getting picked over a guy who .."
Gurianov is older, has never produced anything significant at any level he's played at
Damaini is younger, has a higher ceiling, has an actual hockey IQ and has actually produced significant numbers.
But yes, 1 dimensional winger who finally hit 20 goals in the ahl, finishing behind like 60 other players at the same level, but also set a depressingly low career high at the same time is definitely the prospect to believe in.

Reactions: Satan

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Took him some time in AHL to start burying those chances too but this year we saw he has that ability. Now whether or not that happens at this level is obviously a big question mark but he certainly has the ability to make it happen. Worked with Hintz so hopefully Gurianov can follow his path. This past season was a big step forward for him too so hopefully he can build off of that. Offensive ability isn't my concern with him though. He needs to pick up his defensive game/effort otherwise he won't even play or get his chances offensively.
I have a feeling gurys gonna have a good year . His first few games he was called up last year he looked really good . When they called him up again later on , they were battling for a playoff spot and there was no room for error so he barely played . This year he should get to start with Dallas and be given more of an opportunity rather than 2 shifts in the top 6 than on the bench .

Reactions: Kcb12345

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
When McKenzie was 22 he put up 65p in the AHL, more than Gurianov has ever dreamed of scoring at the same level, but if it is stupid to compare players who've produced more for basically their entire AHL career than another player because he's a few years younger, why is it and i'm not quoting you here "Pretty funny that unproven juniors players are getting picked over a guy who .."
Gurianov is older, has never produced anything significant at any level he's played at
Damaini is younger, has a higher ceiling, has an actual hockey IQ and has actually produced significant numbers.
But yes, 1 dimensional winger who finally hit 20 goals in the ahl, finishing behind like 60 other players at the same level, but also set a depressingly low career high at the same time is definitely the prospect to believe in.
Hintz hasn’t put up better numbers in the ahl either and he’s shaping up to be way better than Mackenzie ever dreamed of . There’s a difference when all your goals are scored off tap ins or garbage goals that you wouldn’t score in the nhl . Guryanov drives offence with his speed , puck handling and has a wicked shot . The nhl is way faster then the ahl so players like guryanov and hintz have a better chance of translating there scoring to the nhl than someone like L’Esperance , Mackenzie etc.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Gurianov would be a really solid prospect if he was drafted anywhere outside of the 1st round. Gets **** on though cause Nill made a stupid choice in drafting him so early and unfortunately the guys taken after him have already made their impacts

BuT DaMiANi Waz aMaziNG iN ThE OhL

Oh wait half his points came from the powerplay.

joshik

In Duchene we believe
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
Yeah the first one is a little mind boggling the 2nd one though is spot on accurate.
Gurianov should absolutely be below Dellandrea, along with several other prospects for that matter
everybody is talking how Ty is better Faksa and everybody is ranking him higher than Gury who is potential top6 with speeeeed and better hands. I don't know about you guys but I valuable more players that score 40+ points than players don't score and are good defensively (Faksa, Janny, Cogs, Comou wtf i don't even know his name).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad