HFSJ Quarantine Survival: Burning Question #5: What would be your biggest historical SJS "do-over"?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
j1P4yb.png

jTUcvv.png

I've been somewhat negligent on these survival threads for a couple of weeks via a combination of being surprisingly busy given the world's still in shutdown mode and trying to figure out what alterations I want to make to the whole quarantine survival ouvre. But I figure it's time to get back on track with a new question.

In honor of "do-over" week at The Athletic, it's a fairly open-ended question:

If you could have a do-over on one piece of Sharks history, what would it be?

Any sort of decision-based element of team history is open for nomination. A trade? A FA Signing? A draft pick? A hiring/firing? A lineup decision? A play in a game? Adding black 3rd jerseys? Not naming the team the "Blades"? Leaving the Cow Palace? Allowing SJ Sharkie to rappel from the rafters? You can be as serious or flippant as you wish. And the decision doesn't have to be by the Sharks, it just has to impact them. If it's something the league did that involved the Sharks, that's fair game.

For the sake of the argument, some ground rules on allowable choices:

1) Let's limit ourselves to things that would've been controllable at the time, so elements of random chance like injuries or the sharks giving up or not scoring a particular goal don't count. Or at least they don't count for that moment in itself. You can't say "I wouldn't let player X get hurt because he was useless afterwards. So my do-over would be that he stays healthy and productive" but you can say "I wouldn't acquire Player X knowing that he's going to be useless afterwards."

2) For the sake of not getting bogged down in too much murky hypothesizing, let's assume that player career trajectories aren't altered too much by any changes to the timeline. Just to eliminate "yeah well the Sharks suck at developing players so you just know they would've ruined <insert superstar player here> if they had picked him instead of <insert Sharks draft bust here>" If you want to argue that a guy might not have gotten a chance because of the roster makeup (like the hypothetical Kipper/Nabokov/Toskala discussion from that other thread) sure, that's defensible. But let's not just assume that a player's talent would eventually shine through and not that the failure of a player or team on one end of the decision means that its alternate universe replacements would've stumbled just as hard.

3) Be reasonable with how realistic/sensible the altered choice is. No cherry-picked super-hindsight stuff like "I wish we had drafted this late-round eventual uber-star instead of random 6th round bust #35374". Because those are the sorts of do-overs everyone wants and nobody sees coming. Of course 29 other teams would love to have had Pavel Datsyuk, but that doesn't mean it's a sensible ask to have the Sharks draft him instead of Brandon Coalter or Mikael Samuelsson (the last 2 Sharks picks prior to Datsyuk being selected) or, even worse, picking him over Brad Stuart in the 1st round that year.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
There are so many to choose from, being a cursed franchise.

That said, personally, the Polak trade in 2016. If the Sharks weren't handicapped by that terrible 3rd pairing, that series might've gone at least 7.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I would like to change the decision to not allow the Sharks to get the first overall pick.
If we could have drafted Lindros, We could’ve traded him for legitimate players. That could have set us up for several years.

Reactions: NWSharkie

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

That said, personally, the Polak trade in 2016. If the Sharks weren't handicapped by that terrible 3rd pairing, that series might've gone at least 7.

This was my first thought as well.

I don’t think we would’ve won that series, but Polak certainly hurt the team, Spaling certainly didn’t help, and we certainly gave up two second round picks for the two of them.

That move was just indisputably bad, even at the time that it was made, and the results were also indisputably bad. There might be a move in franchise history that would benefit us more from reversing - be it directly through how bad that move was, or through the butterfly effect - but that one is just plain bad no matter how you slice it.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I don’t think we would’ve won that series, but Polak certainly hurt the team, Spaling certainly didn’t help, and we certainly gave up two second round picks for the two of them.

That move was just indisputably bad, even at the time that it was made, and the results were also indisputably bad. There might be a move in franchise history that would benefit us more from reversing - be it directly through how bad that move was, or through the butterfly effect - but that one is just plain bad no matter how you slice it.

Kurz1.jpg

"Fight me irl"

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Don't trade for Joe Thornton. That was a massive game-changer for the organization, but 15 years later the Sharks don't have a cup. I'd take a chance on the counterfactual.

The other easy pick is some trade/draft that deprived the Sharks of a better player on that 2016 team. If the Sharks draft Pastrnak in 2014 instead of Goldobin, or maybe Burakovsky or even Pesce in 2013, maybe that is just enough to get them over the hump in 2016.

Another answer: 2014: Clowe's flagrant stick-handling gets called, LA wins that game, and the Sharks avoid playing LA in the first place.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Don't trade for Joe Thornton. That was a massive game-changer for the organization, but 15 years later the Sharks don't have a cup. I'd take a chance on the counterfactual.

The other easy pick is some trade/draft that deprived the Sharks of a better player on that 2016 team. If the Sharks draft Pastrnak in 2014 instead of Goldobin, or maybe Burakovsky or even Pesce in 2013, maybe that is just enough to get them over the hump in 2016.

Another answer: 2014: Clowe's flagrant stick-handling gets called, LA wins that game, and the Sharks avoid playing LA in the first place.

So you would of rathered erik johnson over joe thornton?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
A few in can think of:
  • Don't trade for Craig Rivet, keep that first
  • Trade Heatley for something other than Havlat
  • Don't sign Boedker, use that money to sign Eric Staal and/or Grabner

Maybe my memory is not as clear, but wasn't Polak basically bhrought in to get us through the west? That little extra size and strength that to protect the net and bruise up other teams? I thought he had some value in that regard in the Kings and Blues series. Those were heavy series, whereas the Pens was a track meet.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I remember an article before 08-09 season saying that Coach Q interviewed with DW, but DW passed because his price was too high. I'll say my answer is hiring Coach Q and his first season as Sharks HC was 08-09.

...or Mike Haviland :naughty: (had to do it)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So you would of rathered erik johnson over joe thornton?

Sharks probably would have finished out of a playoff position without Joe Thornton, but not dead-last (they were in a bit of a slump and likely to regress). Quick math; IIRC they were 8-12-4 before acquiring Thornton, which translates into roughly a 68-point-pace. Checking the 2006 standings on NHL.com, that would have put them at 27th, giving them (before the lottery) the fourth overall. That could have meant Backstrom, Kessel, Brassard, or Okposo...

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Drafting Forsberg instead of Falloon wouldn't have been that much of a reach, and would've changed the trajectory of the franchise early on. Imagine prime Forsberg playing with Nolan and Damphousse, and the 90s look a lot different for this team.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013

How about the bonino trade. Taking him away from Pens and adding him to our team would have helped too.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Time to stir sh*t up. Pull off the rumored Pronger trade :naughty:
There's a bunch of options, but this is the one that immediately came to mind when I read the thread title. What was the rumored package again? Bernier + Michalek + a 1st?

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
How about the first two rounds of the 03 draft. I dont think its cherry picking like #3 but with our two 1sts and our two 2nds we could have had Ryan Suter and Getzlaf/Parise/Burns in the first instead of Michalek and Bernier, then Patrice Bergeron and Shea Weber in the second instead of Hennessey and Carle

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Bay Area
How about the first two rounds of the 03 draft. I dont think its cherry picking like #3 but with our two 1sts and our two 2nds we could have had Ryan Suter and Getzlaf/Parise/Burns in the first instead of Michalek and Bernier, then Patrice Bergeron and Shea Weber in the second instead of Hennessey and Carle

2003 was such a great draft to tank/rebuild for. And the Sharks best pick comes in the 7th round. :rolly:

2015 might be viewed with similar hindsight. Timo and Jeremy Roy instead of Rantanen/Barzal and Aho.
But as always - can't reverse time. People thought Roy was an excellent pick at the time and worth trading up for.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How about draft Pronger instead of trading down in the 93 draft. Pronger and Nolan coached by Sutter in the late 90s.

Not making that trade has a huge impact on the future of the Sharks though. No Thornton, Boyle, Heatley, Karlsson, and a ton of other notable SJS players without first flipping the Pronger pick for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd from Hartford.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Drafting Forsberg instead of Falloon wouldn't have been that much of a reach, and would've changed the trajectory of the franchise early on. Imagine prime Forsberg playing with Nolan and Damphousse, and the 90s look a lot different for this team.

This, but one alternate would have been to take Scott Niedermayer (who went 1 pick after Fat Balloon). That would have given the Sharks that top-end #1D that they never had back then. Insanely good as Forsberg obviously was, I suspect Niedermayer would have had the bigger impact. (and not to mention, would never have ended up with the Ducks, either)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I guess reversing the Doug Wilson trade would have massive ripple effects on our history and I'm intrigued by what could have changed.

Reactions: drunksage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad