Prospect Info: HFsens Lottery Mock Draft (part deux) - #4 OV

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t think there is any chance that we (or any other team, for that matter) pass on Svech with the 2nd overall. Things only start getting murky at 3rd and above.

I'd go Svech myself, but the list of analysts going with Zadina seems to be growing;

Marek (SN), MKeens, Cosentino (SN), Peters (ESPN), Pronman (Atlantic, Midseason), Slawson (THW).

There's enough there imo to believe that one or more teams might be higher on Zadina than Svech, and if that team happens to win the 2nd OA spot, Svech slides to 3rd.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Svechnikov reminds me so much with his effortless skating and how easy he scores goals Valeri Kharlamov. Probably the best soviet hockey player of all times.

I remember that during the 72 Summit Series Harold Ballard floated the rumour that he had (supposedly) offered Kharlamov $1 million to play for the Leafs that season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Svechnikov reminds me so much with his effortless skating and how easy he scores goals Valeri Kharlamov. Probably the best soviet hockey player of all times.

Kharlamov fully grown
HEIGHT173 cm / 5'8"WEIGHT73 kg / 161 lbs
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Svechnikov at 18
HEIGHT191 cm / 6'3"WEIGHT85 kg / 187 lbs
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Svechnikov is a power forward that can skate ... Kharlamov was a speedster who could fly. Huge Bobby Clarke fan.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'd go Svech myself, but the list of analysts going with Zadina seems to be growing;

Marek (SN), MKeens, Cosentino (SN), Peters (ESPN), Pronman (Atlantic, Midseason), Slawson (THW).

There's enough there imo to believe that one or more teams might be higher on Zadina than Svech, and if that team happens to win the 2nd OA spot, Svech slides to 3rd.
Mckeens has Svechnikov 2nd, and I'd rather roll the dice with a name generator than use the other guys.

I'd be surprised if there is a single list, that isn't looking for a hot take, that doesn't have Svechnikov 2nd.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nice to see Tkachuk coming in second ahead of some of the others.

It will be interesting where Bobby Mac has him ranked after the lottery. He is supposed to do an abbreviated version. Polling 10 NHL scouts and ranking the players is a far better guage imo than these polls or derogatory unsubstantiated posts on how things may be. They had Tkachuk 4 and Boqvist 5 .. so its close. Will Boqvist pass him ?... stay tuned. That last ranking was done in January so Tkachuk may have got more attention due to the recent WJC. Boqvist could pull ahead if he finishes this U18 really strongly. Other players stock could very well have risen as well .. Quinn Hughes (absent from this poll) had a really good finish and went to the frozen four. Wahlstrom is scoring goals at the U18. Dobson is still in the Q playoffs and his team is looking good to go to the finals. Bouchard finished the year strong leading the Knights.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mckeens has Svechnikov 2nd, and I'd rather roll the dice with a name generator than use the other guys.

I'd be surprised if there is a single list, that isn't looking for a hot take, that doesn't have Svechnikov 2nd.
Looks like mkeen's has updated to his final ranking, I had the Feb rank linked, not sure how much of a gap there can be if he's flipping them over a two month sample. Dismiss it if you want, but my point was all it takes is one team that values Zadina over Svech, it's not like this type of thing hasn't happened countless times before.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Looks like mkeen's has updated to his final ranking, I had the Feb rank linked, not sure how much of a gap there can be if he's flipping them over a two month sample. Dismiss it if you want, but my point was all it takes is one team that values Zadina over Svech, it's not like this type of thing hasn't happened countless times before.

Of course it could happen... Picking someone other than the widely expected player could also happen at 1st overall. Assuming Dahlin, Svechnikov go 1 , 2 I think there is more of a battle or less consensus as we move down to 3 , then 4 and again at 5.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What I'm getting at is I don't think any team are looking for hot takes, which is what I consider those guys doing. I don't think it's close, Svechnikov is closer to Dahlin than he is to 3rd, I'd wager quite a lot that NHL teams agree.

I mean, I have heard a few teams don't have Zadina in their top 5

Reactions: bert
Oct 10, 2010
Tkachuk and Bouchard both will be drafted by us but unfortunately King Karlsson won't be back :(

edit sorry for the bold font no idea why it's doing that

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Call me crazy but I could see Bergevin taking Tkachuk at 3

Yeah, you could be right. Berg is the type of guy to value intangibles more than skill. That being said, Montreal doesn't exactly have a lot of elite talent up front so I'd be shocked if they pass on Svechnikov or Zadina.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah, you could be right. Berg is the type of guy to value intangibles more than skill. That being said, Montreal doesn't exactly have a lot of elite talent up front so I'd be shocked if they pass on Svechnikov or Zadina.

Unless we get a real surprise the top 2 is locked with Dahlin and Svechnikov.

After that is where it gets interesting. Zadina is more talented than Tkatchuk, but Tkatchuk plays the more valuable position that Montreal really really needs.

Given the fact that they've been looking for a C for years and years without success, and now they have a shot at the best C in the draft, I'd be really surprised if they grabbed the winger.

We know how hard it is to get a top C prospect in this league, and this draft doesn't have many top end Centers.

Bergevin has been criticized a ton for not being able to get that center, I can't imagine they would pass on this opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad