HF's top 20 NCAA drafted prospects

• Thread starter Vic Rattlehead*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i've watched some minnesota games (well, i could watch all of them as they always seem to be on during the weekends) and i'll first say that I haven't payed close close attention to chucko during those games, so it's not like i've been actively scouting him. but my impression of him in general is that he doesn't really standout most of the time at this point, which isn't a bad thing, but then he'll do some noticeable stuff like throw a nice hit, make good play, etc etc. in short, he's a rookie doing a pretty good job and will get better as he gets more experience.

haven't noticed tons of offensive skills from him but i think he does have enough to score some goals and put up some points, he makes some nice moves sometimes

zajac i dunno, haven't seen him, i always forget what college players are on what teams and there's usually a game on i'd rather eb watching anyways

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
jake1 said:
I hear from people who have seen a lot of UND games that Zajac has been a work of art in his own zone this year. His offense has been spotty (as has the whole team's), but he has never stopped working and has been real responsible all over the ice. A comment made earlier that Chucko might be ranked higher because the rankers value "more than just offense" suggests Zajac is some kind of Spehar-like cherry-picker. Nothing could be further from the truth. This kind of uninformed homer commentary from a UND basher helps no one understand the players.
That "more then just offence" comment wasn't directed at Zajac, it was a seperate comment. I am most certainly not a UND basher, I am more of a "I don't care about UND anymore then any other College team" type of guy.

Zajac supporters can get a little sensitive.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
MrMastodonFarm said:
That "more then just offence" comment wasn't directed at Zajac, it was a seperate comment. I am most certainly not a UND basher, I am more of a "I don't care about UND anymore then any other College team" type of guy.

Zajac supporters can get a little sensitive.
As do Chucko supporters (mainly Flame fans)

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
As do Chucko supporters (mainly Flame fans)
We'll you've certainly backed that up. I couldn't care less that you think Zajac is a better prospect then Chucko, for the most part I would agree. Your crazy Zajac is god view of things makes me giggle however.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
Lets be honest here. Chucko is projected as a checking line player. Zajac is projected as a first line center.

I'll take Zajac's 112 points in the BCHL and his 24 points in the NCAA over Chucko's 87 and 16. I'll also take his defense and speed any day.

Chucko is going to be a checking forward. Thats it.

where did this perception that Chucko was drafted as a checker come from (other than he was taken by the Flames so he must be a checker)?

he was listed as a future PF prior to his draft year, and people who watch him still think he has that upside. Zajac (who I'm sure is a great player I don't care really) is basically a full year older, so sure he's outscored Chucko along the way. I've already conceded that he's probably the better prospect...but I don't think the difference is first line centre versus generic checker. but I guess we'll see

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
I'm a Dallas fan so my team doesn't have any prospects on that list..

I watch all of the Gopher games that I can though, and I have a varied opinion of Chucko. Early in the year he was excellent with Potulny & Irmen. He gave the other two guys room to work, he created problems in front of the net, and got the benefit of some garbage goals.

Chucko reminds me alot of Brendan Morrow. Not the most skilled guy out there, but he works hard, plays physically, and makes whatever line he's on better. Based on what I see currently - KC isn't going to set any scoring records in the NHL, but I would love to have him in my team's system.

On the rest of the list.. I also noted the exceptions of Potulny & Irmen. Those guys carry the Gophers - hence the team's recent struggles. I would also note the absence of Hagemo & Briggs from the Gophers as well as Pavelski, Joudrey, Klubertans, and Bruckler from Wisconsin. I don't claim to know whether any of those players deserve to be in the top 20, but they are all standouts on some very good teams.

Phanuthier*

Zajec vs. Chucko:

First off, I need to say this. I have NEVER seen Chucko play. I saw him skate in a couple 30 second highlight reels on various internet sites, but other then that, I don't really know dick squat about him.

What I do know, however, is that on the Salmon Arm Silverbacks fan message board, many who watch the BCHL and Salmon Arm said Chucko was a better player overall then Zajac. Now, I don't know if more thought Chucko was better then Zajec or vis versa, but from what I read, it doesn't seem clear cut that one is better then the other.

On top of that, Chucko is a power forward, and generally speaking, power forwards take a longer time to develop then skilled forwards. Maybe Chucko is progressing at a impressive pace for a power forward? Also taking into account age, that could be some brownie points for Chucko.

Secondly, as said, Chucko is a year younger. Maybe DJ Powers (Oilers Chick?) put alot of stock into learning curves? And how fast Chucko has improved over the coarse of this season?

Thirdly, style of play... Zajac seems to be more of a skilled player (ala Sundin? Again, I don't know squat about either of these players). Chucko is more of a power forward (Deadmarsh? Roberts? I heard someone compare him to Iginla once, skating, corners, crashing the net ect, but don't shoot the messenger!) - maybe there's some stock put into their style of game? Power forwards are more highly coveted then skilled players. Just take a look at Jeff Carter and Ryan Getzlaf and see how GMs, scouts and fans just drool over them.

And lastly... defensive play, is Zajac actually better? I know Zajac was always pimped for his skill, but I always thought Chucko was the better defensive player of the two? And that Chucko was more of a defensive player while Zajac high-gunned it for Salmon Arm? At least thats what most Salmon Arm fans seemed to say.

Who's better then the other though... I'm glad to see Chucko right up there. Whether he's better then Zajac or Nystrom or Greene or Stafford or whatever, I don't really care. Downgrading another prospect (eg. Zajac) does not make Chucko any better. All I know is Chucko, according to all reports, is improving vastly and his game is picking up and that he's maturing quickly.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Splatman Phanutier said:
Chucko is more of a power forward (Deadmarsh? Roberts? I heard someone compare him to Iginla once, skating, corners, crashing the net ect, but don't shoot the messenger!) - maybe there's some stock put into their style of game?
Ummmmmm.... maybe in Sutter's wet dreams. Granted, I never saw Iginla play at KC's current age, but I can guarantee you that Chucko is no Iginla. No way...

Phanuthier*

EndBoards said:
Ummmmmm.... maybe in Sutter's wet dreams. Granted, I never saw Iginla play at KC's current age, but I can guarantee you that Chucko is no Iginla. No way...
Well Sutter's wet dreams turned into reality with Phaneuf, so I wouldn't count that out... ;)

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Chucko is much more likely to end up as Jay Pandolfo than anything resembling a power forward.

Phanuthier*

DownFromNJ said:
Chucko is much more likely to end up as Jay Pandolfo than anything resembling a power forward.
Did you have anything there to back that up?

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Good defensive physical player who did some mild scoring in college and as a kid. Works hard and is focused. Sounds like the Devil's unsung hero to me.

Since before the draft this kid reminded me of Pandolfo.

Phanuthier*

DownFromNJ said:
Good defensive physical player who did some mild scoring in college and as a kid. Works hard and is focused. Sounds like the Devil's unsung hero to me.

Since before the draft this kid reminded me of Pandolfo.
So since Chucko is a good defensive player, plays physical, works hard and can score decently in collage, it means that he'll be nothing more then a 4th liner in the NHL?

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
No, Jay Pandolfo is a checking forward who has contributed a lot of NJ's playoff runs.

I'd be very happy to have a Jay Pandolfo character in the Devil's system. If Chucko wants to make it past the 3rd line, he has to prove he can score. Hell, Pandolfo scored a lot more than Chucko at that age.

If you think Chucko is going to be a Jarome Iglina, I have a bridge you might be interested in.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
DownFromNJ said:
If you think Chucko is going to be a Jarome Iglina, I have a bridge you might be interested in.
Did Splatman say Chucko was going to be Jarome Iginla? No, no he didn't. They are however similar players when they were drafted, Chucko has proven he can score. You have made some boneheaded comments on a player you know nothing about.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
DownFromNJ said:
Some mild scoring in College?

He has played half a College season, dou don't mind holding off summing up his College career before it has barely started?

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Don't know much about Chucko?

I know he has an inaccurate shot, average stickhandling skills, decent passing skills, decent speed and good defensive play. I know he finishes he checks very well, fights in the corners, and isn't afraid to muck it up.

I also know he's highly overrated by Flames fans and the person who wrote the top-20 NCAA prospect article.

Phanuthier*

DownFromNJ said:
Don't know much about Chucko?

I know he has an inaccurate shot, average stickhandling skills, decent passing skills, decent speed and good defensive play. I know he finishes he checks very well, fights in the corners, and isn't afraid to muck it up.

I also know he's highly overrated by Flames fans and the person who wrote the top-20 NCAA prospect article.
Well, who's to argue with a guy who has watched Chucko play for half a season as a freshman 18 year old in NCAA?

Your right, the writer (Oilers Chick, I believe - which makes an Oiler fan overratting a Flame prospect) who watches the NCAA extensively, the previous poster who gave a pretty reasonable and balanced evaluation of Chucko, The Hockey News for calling him a "2nd line, 2-way player" and also rated one of the top 10 NHL prospects in the NCAA. Not to mention the Flames scouts who thought enough of him to draft him, and drop down a few picks from 19 to get him (or Zajac, the other player they were reporedly interested after Chipchura was taken).

BTW, prospect guru, you might be interested in reading this:
http://www.gophersports.com/sportsNews/press_release.asp?news_id=9520&sport_id=mhock
It's a good article about adjusting to NCAA hockey.

As well, you might be interested in reading some of Iginla's profile before he became a superstar. They weren't all that glamourous either. It's proven that most power forwards take longer to develop. I'm not expecting Chucko to be Iginla or Shanahan or Tkachuk or Bertuzzi, but I'm also not writing him off as a Chris Clark, Jay Pandelfo or Chris Dingman either.

PS: Other articles you might want to read before ridiculing Chucko:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/draft/draft04/tracker/player?playerId=91
Kris Chucko is more of a project that his linemate, Travis Zajac (No. 24), but has much to offer. He is a powerful forward who has skill, a good shot and a great attitude.

"He had a lot of scouts scrambling to get into see him near the end of the season," said another scout. "He brings a lot to the table."

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/Notebooks/draftday1_0243.htm
"He can score, he's gritty, and after watching him in the playoffs, you need the type of player who can score in the paint while he's being tugged on , and he can do that."

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=4000
Chucko is excellent at driving the net with the puck and can stickhandle in a phone booth

Average stickhandling, eh? This was done by a Canucks fan.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
No, Jay Pandolfo is a checking forward who has contributed a lot of NJ's playoff runs.

I'd be very happy to have a Jay Pandolfo character in the Devil's system. If Chucko wants to make it past the 3rd line, he has to prove he can score. Hell, Pandolfo scored a lot more than Chucko at that age.

of course Panfolfo was an 18 year old 12 years ago, and scoring has changed a touch since then...I believe 3 or 4 guys in the NCAA had over 90 points that year...but sure if you think you've got Chucko's upside figured out after 20 college games, good on ya (and no I don't think he's going to be Iginla either)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Splatman Phanutier said:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=4000
Chucko is excellent at driving the net with the puck and can stickhandle in a phone booth

Average stickhandling, eh? This was done by a Canucks fan.

That may have been true when he had more time to maneuver in the BCHL but I haven't seen too much fancy stickhandling from Chucko with the Gophers. That just doesn't seem like his game so far at this level.

Phanuthier*

cagney said:
That may have been true when he had more time to maneuver in the BCHL but I haven't seen too much fancy stickhandling from Chucko with the Gophers. That just doesn't seem like his game so far at this level.
Well how many games has he played in the NCAA? 30? He's a freshman and he needs time to adapt, just like any other player.

Give him a few years. As above, power forwards generally take longer to develop their game. I'm not betting that Chucko is the next Bertuzzi, but I'm not writing him off either (although he has vastly improved over the past few weeks, according to everything I've been reading). At this point, I really have absolutely no expections for Chucko - in fact, I really don't think I know anything about him, dispite everything I've read. I'll reserve judgement on Chucko once he's ready to make the jump to the NHL or AHL. Until then, just let Chucko stay in NCAA and develop his game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah i haven't noticed real great stickhandling from chucko in the games i've seen...but again, he's a rookie, i don't expect him to light the world on fire yet, he's still adjusting. reminds me though of one game i was watching where chucko was coming down on a defenseman 1 on 1 to the outside, and he did a simple little fake inside a bit go outside and get a shot off (maybe he drove to the net before shooting, can't remember) and the gopher announcers were crowing like it was the greatest move ever, hehe. i mean hey it wasn't bad but that's also a move that any 4th liner could also pull if they thought of it. and i'm not bashing chucko here, i just laughed that the announcers were going on about it like he did something amazing

i'm gonna be curious to see if a guy like billy ryan might make it into next years rankings...with some experience and more size, he could be a really really good player.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
His stick handling has been poor. Playing with Irman and Potulny was not good for him. He cant keep up the play when it gets to him. He has on occasion made some nice moves. but often times he makes a good play and skates by the guy and looses the puck, or fumbles it. It looks like his stick handeling will come around to be avg.-to better than. Danny Irmen had 24 points his fresh man year. Chucko has 16 thus far. Irmen has 35 this year. Irmen an 84 B day and Chucko an 86 B day. He is young for the NCAA by todays standards and he is a power forward. He will get better. If his junior year he looks poor than i say yeah he is over rated.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I get just about every Minnesota game on tv thanks to directv, and while I haven't been overly impressed with Chucko's skill level, I was blown away with a few hits of his. Damn can he throw the body. One game a few weeks back they were showing the hit of the game, only to see Chucko come out a few seconds later and crush someone in a great open ice hit, one of the better hit's I've seen this year. Can't recall who it was against. I'm not a big fan of Minnesota, but they are on tv almost every friday night if not every friday and most saturdays.

I don't really care if he's a good prospect or not but I will say for sure he can throw some big hits. If his offensive game doesn't work, fans will enjoy his physical game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad