HF's top 20 NCAA drafted prospects

• Thread starter Vic Rattlehead*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I have to say that Zajac is listed far too low on this list.

Zajac is better than Chucko, without a doubt. On the same team Zajac outperformed his linemate every night defensively and on the scoresheet. Chucko is doing good on Minnesota but Zajac is doing better at UND. Plus, Zajac was one of Conte's favorite players at the draft last year, which definately gives him points in my book.

He might or might not be better than Stafford. I was really impressed by Stafford at the WJCs, but Zajac by all reports (wish I could see him live, but I live in NJ) is outperforming Stafford on both ends of the ice.

I have no faith in Jessiman, and I can't see anything to justify his high rating.

Zajac is better than #11.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
This list is so bad and yes because Zajac is so low. Ask and Sioux fan and they will tell you Zajac has been a much better player then Stafford this year, Stafford has a year in the NCAA ahead of Zajac also.

Stafford played really well in the WJC, maybe that has something to do with it.

Vic Rattlehead*

Well, I'm happy to see both Mark Stuart and Andrew Alberts getting their recognition for their great play in NCAA.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Fozz said:
Stafford played really well in the WJC, maybe that has something to do with it.
Thats not Zajac's fault....he had Carter, Richards and Bergeron as the 1/2/3 and everyone knew the coach would go with a checker as the 4th liner. He had no chance to make team Canada.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Thats not Zajac's fault....he had Carter, Richards and Bergeron as the 1/2/3 and everyone knew the coach would go with a checker as the 4th liner. He had no chance to make team Canada.

It's not about Zajac vs. Stafford. Stafford's third because he was arguably the United States' best forward at the tournament. Maybe he hasn't had a great year at ND, but when he played a higher level of hockey, he was fantastic. That's a reason for Stafford's ranking. Zajac may too low, but you can't ignore Stafford's performance at the WJC just because Zajac wasn't there.

Vic Rattlehead*

Hossa said:
It's not about Zajac vs. Stafford. Stafford's third because he was arguably the United States' best forward at the tournament. Maybe he hasn't had a great year at ND, but when he played a higher level of hockey, he was fantastic. That's a reason for Stafford's ranking. Zajac may too low, but you can't ignore Stafford's performance at the WJC just because Zajac wasn't there.

What about Mark Stuart? What do you think of his future?

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
What about Mark Stuart? What do you think of his future?

Admitedly, I defer to DJ's superior knowledge on everything NCAA hockey (she really knows her stuff), and think that the top 4 in that group (Eaves, Stafford, Montoya, Stuart), are the four best prospects in NCAA hockey at the moment. How you rank those four is a question, but they're all reasonably close.

With Mark Stuart, what you see is kind of what you get. I really like his make-up, his character, and I think he'll be a very solid NHL defenceman. I don't see a lot of upside, to be completely honest, but he's a pretty solid bet to be a second pairing guy in the NHL. I think he fits well into the mold of what Boston is doing in developing their blueline, although dealing Morrisonn changed that a bit. Toivonen and/or Raycroft will love the guy, as will his team-mates. I like the fact that for a stay-at-home type, he is mobile. That's one thing that is really important in becoming a stud defensive defenceman. I know with Chris Phillips in Ottawa, part of the reason he's incredibly valuable as a defensive defenceman, is that he's mobile. Stuart's not that fast (very few d-men in the NHL could beat Phillips in a foot race), but he's not Ken Danyeko either. It is that type of Phillips/Cory Sarich type of player that I see in Stuart.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hossa said:
I know Stafford played well at the WJC but if that is going to be the standard to be used with this list then Montoya should be outside the top ten. He has had a poor year with Michigan and a poor WJC.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I saw Stafford a few times this year and he wasn't playing as well as he could. At his best he has impressed me more than Zajac has though.

The Chucko vs. Zajac issue is interesting. Zajac has outperformed Chucko from an offensive standpoint but Chucko's being a year younger is important in this respect. Chucko seems like a more agressive player, finshing all of his checks and driving to the net whenever he gets the chance. Zajac on the other hand looks very smooth and has a nice goal-scoring touch. His skills are pretty evident. I'd lean towards Zajac as of now but I'm interested in seeing how Chucko develops.

I like Matt Carle a lot. He could have been higher.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
I know Stafford played well at the WJC but if that is going to be the standard to be used with this list then Montoya should be outside the top ten. He has had a poor year with Michigan and a poor WJC.

I'm not sure what the standard was. All I'm saying is that Stafford has proven he can be a stud at that level. Zajac has not. Montoya, Eaves, Stuart, they have as well. Yes, Montoya struggled this year, but he proved the year before he can play at that level. I'm not saying it's the reason they're ranked high, but rather that those players have proven themselves to be top players at that next level. The guys below them have not. That is one reason for how the rankings shaped up, I believe.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
cagney said:
I saw Stafford a few times this year and he wasn't playing as well as he could. At his best he has impressed me more than Zajac has though.

The Chucko vs. Zajac issue is interesting. Zajac has outperformed Chucko from an offensive standpoint but Chucko's being a year younger is important in this respect. Chucko seems like a more agressive player, finshing all of his checks and driving to the net whenever he gets the chance. Zajac on the other hand looks very smooth and has a nice goal-scoring touch. His skills are pretty evident. I'd lean towards Zajac as of now but I'm interested in seeing how Chucko develops.

I like Matt Carle a lot. He could have been higher.
Stafford had a year and a half to show his best, Zajac is only a freshmen and I think this second half we will eally see him take off. His last 4 games have been nothing short of remarkable two way hockey. Thats while hitting 3 posts, 2 shorthanded. Potential I don't know if there are many from the 2004 draft that matches Zajac, Ovehckin and Malkin are obvious but I even think Zajac has more NHL potential then Parise. Thats saying alot.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
Stafford had a year and a half to show his best, Zajac is only a freshmen and I think this second half we will eally see him take off. His last 4 games have been nothing short of remarkable two way hockey..
Oh come off it, we all know you cream yourself at the thought of Zajac.. but "nothing short of remarkable two-way hockey" let it go man.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
Zajac is better than Chucko, without a doubt. On the same team Zajac outperformed his linemate every night defensively and on the scoresheet. .

Zajac outperformed Chucko EVERY NIGHT?

good grief

we know that Zajac was nearly a year older, but of course that's been discussed before. I don't pretend to know who is better, and I"m willing to concede it's likely Zajac, but some of the statements here....

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
MrMastodonFarm said:
Oh come off it, we all know you cream yourself at the thought of Zajac.. but "nothing short of remarkable two-way hockey" let it go man.
Ask any sioux fan how he played last series. He was the best player by a good margin. He was allways a threat shorthanded, set up his linemates far too many times and was physical.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yes zajac is obviously an amazing player, sure fire NHLer to win the selke every year while being top 5 in scoring, he's so awesome and his skills are amazing, he's a future hall of famer. who would have thought he'd go outside the top 15 in a weak draft class

:shakehead

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
looooob said:
Zajac outperformed Chucko EVERY NIGHT?

good grief

we know that Zajac was nearly a year older, but of course that's been discussed before. I don't pretend to know who is better, and I"m willing to concede it's likely Zajac, but some of the statements here....
I think he meant UND teamates and no he has had the occasional bad games.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Jason MacIsaac said:
I think he meant UND teamates and no he has had the occasional bad games.
I don't know what he will accomplish at the NHL level but he is doing alot more then Chucko at the moment. Zajac is faster, better defensivly, more skilled and a better playmaker/scorer, the only thing Chucko has on Zajac is hitting and intensity.

Edit: I suppost Chucko is also a better leader. Zajac will be one to lead by example.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
MacIssac

Some of my favorite Stafford moments were early in his freshman year so experience wasn't a factor at that time.

I've said that I like Zajac's game but I certainly wouldn't call him elite. I think he's going to be a very good college player but I haven't seen anything yet that places him as a future NHL star.

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

And you've proven yourself to be horribly biased in favor of any Flames prospect that comes up in discussion. This statement is nothing but hypocrisy.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
RangerFan13 said:
And you've proven yourself to be horribly biased in favor of any Flames prospect that comes up in discussion. This statement is nothing but hypocrisy.
Ya, you are right. Mind you, I have never said anything like "The amazing footwork of Dustin Boyd has fans at every level dreaming of what this modern day Maurice Richard can do in the NHL"

Jason's view on Zajac is whacked, we all have our bias, but what he says about Zajac, while never seeing him play I'd imagine, is embaressing.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
MrMastodonFarm said:
Ya, you are right. Mind you, I have never said anything like "The amazing footwork of Dustin Boyd has fans at every level dreaming of what this modern day Maurice Richard can do in the NHL"

Jason's view on Zajac is whacked, we all have our bias, but what he says about Zajac, while never seeing him play I'd imagine, is embaressing.
Almost as "embarrassing" as your spelling. You would have no problem with my views on Zajac if I didn't bring Chucko into it. You are the most bised Flames fan. I have yet to see you give a usefull bit of information about a Flames prospect. You just can't seem to get it in your head that Zajac is better then Chucko at the present time by some bit at the NCAA level and that the Flames may have made the wrong choice by tradeing down to get Chucko instead of taking Zajac. I remember you argueing about Ramholt to me last year when you never seen him play and I had season's for the Eagles.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
Jason MacIsaac said:
Almost as "embarrassing" as your spelling. You would have no problem with my views on Zajac if I didn't bring Chucko into it. You are the most bised Flames fan. I have yet to see you give a usefull bit of information about a Flames prospect. You just can't seem to get it in your head that Zajac is better then Chucko at the present time by some bit at the NCAA level and that the Flames may have made the wrong choice by tradeing down to get Chucko instead of taking Zajac. I remember you argueing about Ramholt to me last year when you never seen him play and I had season's for the Eagles.

I hate "spelling" comebacks... so lame.

Would be more effective if you took care of your own end though.

Vic Rattlehead*

MagnusJondus said:

:lol :lol :lol

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Lets be honest here. Chucko is projected as a checking line player. Zajac is projected as a first line center.

I'll take Zajac's 112 points in the BCHL and his 24 points in the NCAA over Chucko's 87 and 16. I'll also take his defense and speed any day.

Chucko is going to be a checking forward. Thats it.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
MagnusJondus said:

You wouldn't see them if there was actually an argument from the other side how Chucko will is the better prospect other then the constant moaning that MrMastodonFarm has been bringing to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad