HF's 2004 Moderator Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctynan44

Feb 27, 2002
Insomnia
#22 New Jersey

The Devils will be taking a chance on the Dman with a good upside but is a gamble......Jeff Schultz

Last edited by a moderator:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
#23 Ottawa

The Ottawa Senators select Oscar Hedman

The Senators are going by the best player available strategy, while at the same time Hedman fills the need for a blue-chipper on defense.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
#24 NY Rangers

With the 24th selection, the Rangers select D Wes O'Neill.

Other than Fedor Tyutin and Ivan Baranka, the Rangers lack potential top four defensive prospects. O'Neill will be a project, but defensemen with his combination of size and skill are always in demand. With seven picks in the top 51, the Rangers can afford to take a chance O'Neill and hope that in three to four years he can emerge as a stud on their blueline.

Jim_Harnock

Feb 27, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
www.harnock.com
#25 Edmonton (from Philadelphia)

With the 25th overall pick, Edmonton selects, from Salmon Arm of the BCHL, centre Travis Zajac.

Again, the Oilers move to address the dearth of skilled offensive centres/forwards in the organisation. Initially inclined to select a defenseman with this pick, the team could not overlook the enormous potential of Zajac and the chance to improve on the shallow offensive talent pool we have down the middle. Perhaps a risky selection, given that Zajac played Junior A rather than Major Junior, but he's proven he has great offensive instincts and he'll be heading into a solid hockey program at North Dakota in the fall, which should help his development.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
#26 Vancouver Canucks

With the 26th overall pick Vancouver approaches the podium and is thrilled to select from London of the OHL, centre Dave Bolland.

This is a no-brainer pick for the Canucks, who grab the best player left in the talented, fearless Bolland. Their system is more or less devoid of any prospects with offensive ability, so Vancouver is very pleased with their selection.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
#27 Washington

For the Caps I want Sami Lepisto. The Caps could use some help on D as well and I think Lepisto is severely underrated, and I think will be a good PP QB in the future, a #3 d-man. I think his WJC performance was for real, and I think his playmaking skills are better than Steve Eminger and it's hard to miss on Finnish draftees ;)

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
#28 San Jose Sharks

The [shadow=teal]San Jose Sharks[/shadow] select from Moncton C Bruce Graham

I got a lil nervous when the Devs made their pick...thank goodness for Schultz. San Jose lacks size among their forwards and Graham definitely has that. His skill level is huge as well and could be a big force if he puts it all together. He has good speed and a great work ethic which are key traits among Shark forwards. Teammate of Shark prospect Steve Bernier...the Sharks definitely know who they are getting in Graham.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
#29 Washington

The Caps are suddenly up again, this time we will take Petteri Norkelainen, not because I like Finns this time, but because he hadds size down the middle and is solid both ways with and without the puck. I think he can get his offensive skills together, and if he starts producing more, look out.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
#30 The Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning

With the 30th pick, the Tampa Bay Lightning select Czech forward Jakub Sindel.

Sindel gives the Bolts a fast and skilled forward who can score. Something they don't have a lot of in their prospect pool. Sindel seems to be a high risk, high return type of prospect. The Bolts have such a young and deep team that they can afford to take the risk.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People can comment if they like...I know my pick of Sami Lepisto will not be all that popular.

Jon Burke

go kim johnsson said:
People can comment if they like...I know my pick of Sami Lepisto will not be all that popular.

I just think it's a little early that's all. You could probably snag him in the second round. But hey, every year a team makes a bit of a "reach" pick. You were this year's, I guess.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Well, hopefully the HF staff knows their players, because in this mock first round, the Capitals come away from the draft with FIVE players HF staff called first rounders:

Alexander Ovechkin
Mike Green
Jeff Schultz
Oscar Hedman (taken in the fifth round, #132!?)
Sami Lepisto (taken in the third round, #66)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad