2. Andreas Athanasiou - 63.04%
3. Evgeny Svechnikov - 77.05%
4. Xavier Ouellet - 69.70%
5. Vili Saarijarvi - 52.00%
6. Axel Holmstrom - 40.48%
7. Tyler Bertuzzi - 32.08%
8. Robbie Russo - 34.62%

maxresdefault.jpg

robbie-russo-of-the-grand-rapids-griffins-takes-warmup-prior-to-a-picture-id495310258

Another close one. Russo edges out Hicketts for the 8th spot. Will Hickets end up taking the 9th spot? I definitely like Frk, Jensen, and Turgeon more for this spot than Hicketts personally.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Definitely going with Frk here. Not a big Jensen guy, would probably go with Sproul over him.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
We've really raided our prospects cabinet huh? Used to be a lot more exciting prospects well within our top 10. Now, not so much.

True but we also lost some pieces via trade (Backman, Janmark) and some of the exciting pieces from a few years back are looking like long shots today (Sproul and maybe Cally)

Went with Jensen here though I suspect Hicketts will (undeservedly IMO) take this one.

jaster

Might be back on probation.
Jun 8, 2007
Between Turgeon and Coreau for me. Went with Coreau because pro vs amateur.

Sproul and Frk are busts. Nosek and Nastasiuk are scrubs. Hicketts, though I love his game, is too small. Jensen was a fav of mine, but he's failed to take the next step.

What the hell is Athanasiou doing at #2??

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Between Turgeon and Coreau for me. Went with Coreau because pro vs amateur.

Sproul and Frk are busts. Nosek and Nastasiuk are scrubs. Hicketts, though I love his game, is too small. Jensen was a fav of mine, but he's failed to take the next step.

What the hell is Athanasiou doing at #2??

I understand Frk just recently returned to relevancy, but what he has done so far this year is at least a little intriguing don't ya think?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I understand Frk just recently returned to relevancy, but what he has done so far this year is at least a little intriguing don't ya think?

I think it has earned him press box rotation next year.

Went with Jensen again.

Once again I have to say I have Hicketts below De Haas, really surprised at the love he has in these polls.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sproul has been fairly good this year as well.

Sproul has made big strides this year. As most of you know I have been very hard on him in the past. I am really pleased with what he has brought. A lot more engaged and a ton better in his own end this year. Now his offense has dipped a little while he concentrated on his own end, but honestly he was never seeing the league at all without getting to at least passable defensively and he is probably there now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Went with Jensen again.

Once again I have to say I have Hicketts below De Haas, really surprised at the love he has in these polls.

What # overall would that be for Hicketts for ya?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What # overall would that be for Hicketts for ya?

Would have to run it down.... So here goes...

1.) Anthony Mantha
2.) Evgeny Svechnikov
3.) Xavier Ouellet
4.) Andrea Athanasiou
5.) Tyler Bertuzzi
6.) Vili Saarijarvi
7.) Nick Jensen
8.) Tomas Nosek
9.) Ryan Sproul
10.) Robbie Russo
11.) Martin Frk
12.) Dominic Turgeon
13.) Axel Holmstom
14.) Jared Coreau
15.) Zach Nastasiuk
16.) Alexander Kadeykin (If I knew he would come stick it out in GR it might change my feelings on him and put him higher)
17.) James De Haas
18.) Joe Hicketts
19.) Christoffer Ehn
20.) Joren Van Pottelberghe
21.) Julius Vahatalo
22.) Chase Pearson
23.) Jake Paterson
24.) Adam Marsh
25.) Patrick Holway

That would be my top 25, expect plenty of change by the time we do the annual summer one after the draft. Realize my list will be very different than a lot of people. I have serious questions about Holmstrom and Hicketts and it knocks them down the list as the flags are just too much for me to ignore when looking at them from a NHL projection standpoint.

AA is extremely close to overtaking XO for me, really a coin toss for me. The uniqueness of Bertuzzi and where I think he will play in the NHL elevates him for me despite his rookie struggles.

Hicketts comes in at 18 for me. I am rooting for the kid, but seriously I don't see how he overcomes his reach and slightly above average skating at his size. Especially with right-handed weaponry in the farm system with size. I just think he maxes out as an exceptional European pro or very good AHL player. I hope he proves me wrong.

Axel Holmstrom is the hardest guy for me to rank in our prospect pool. With skating pickup he unquestionably vaults, but his skating isn't actually any better this year versus last and that is a major red flag. He is as bad a skater as Andersson was and people hate Andersson skating to this day and honestly it has improved immensely to be where it is.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Eh, maybe. I'd have to watch him more closely this season, I've only seen highlights. But up through last year, I loathed his game. The exact opposite type of player I find value in. I of course hope he proves me wrong and provides value to Detroit some day. I never root against any prospect.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Went with Jensen again.

Hicketts has NHL-level hockey sense though. I see him as a total long-shot because of his size, but he at least has upside. De Haas is a nobody. His best-case scenario is as a replacement-level #6 defenseman.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Hicketts has NHL-level hockey sense though. I see him as a total long-shot because of his size, but he at least has upside. De Haas is a nobody. His best-case scenario is as a replacement-level #6 defenseman.

Agreed. Hicketts at worst will be a very good AHL/European player. He does have NHL upside. If he was bigger, he'd be the best defense prospect on the team.

James De Haas won't even be an AHL player. He'll probably end up in the ECHL or the DEL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Agreed. Hicketts at worst will be a very good AHL/European player. He does have NHL upside. If he was bigger, he'd be the best defense prospect on the team.

James De Haas won't even be an AHL player. He'll probably end up in the ECHL or the DEL.

If he was bigger, he also would have been drafted, and odds are we don't have him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

De Haas is a 6'4" 210 lbs guy that skates well. He would have to make it as a stay at home D-man, but guess what those guys feature in this league.

Hicketts has great vision and good puck skills. However, he is flat out small and he isn't a great skater. I cannot think of the last guy we said oh don't worry he is small but he also isn't very fast either, great combo...

Keep in mind Joe Hicketts is a left handed shooting smaller player too, so it isn't like he brings the much craved right handed shot that could help him out.

I guess anything is possible we don't have a lot in terms of left-handed offensive D-man with Smith not panning out and DeKeyser lacking game breaking ability there. But still it is hard to see how he comes in at his height with his reach. It also supposes they don't draft someone that has that ability and immediately knocks him down a peg organizationally.

De Haas isn't great by any means, but he has a NHL frame, NHL skating and has flashed some of the other abilities. I think he has a better shot at reaching the league than a 5'6" guy that doesn't skate elite to make up for it.

As I said though I will be rooting for Hicketts to make it. Ton of heart and some tools. For instance if you give Hicketts De Haas' frame and skating he would have gone in the top 10 in the draft, but unfortunately that isn't how it works. There are limits to where you can overcome that, I have a feeling the NHL is going to be an extremely tough one for Hicketts. But who knows maybe he is the next Francis Bouillon.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would have to run it down.... So here goes...

1.) Anthony Mantha
2.) Evgeny Svechnikov
3.) Xavier Ouellet
4.) Andrea Athanasiou
5.) Tyler Bertuzzi
6.) Vili Saarijarvi
7.) Nick Jensen
8.) Tomas Nosek
9.) Ryan Sproul
10.) Robbie Russo
11.) Martin Frk
12.) Dominic Turgeon
13.) Axel Holmstom
14.) Jared Coreau
15.) Zach Nastasiuk
16.) Alexander Kadeykin (If I knew he would come stick it out in GR it might change my feelings on him and put him higher)
17.) James De Haas
18.) Joe Hicketts
19.) Christoffer Ehn
20.) Joren Van Pottelberghe
21.) Julius Vahatalo
22.) Chase Pearson
23.) Jake Paterson
24.) Adam Marsh
25.) Patrick Holway

That would be my top 25, expect plenty of change by the time we do the annual summer one after the draft. Realize my list will be very different than a lot of people. I have serious questions about Holmstrom and Hicketts and it knocks them down the list as the flags are just too much for me to ignore when looking at them from a NHL projection standpoint.

AA is extremely close to overtaking XO for me, really a coin toss for me. The uniqueness of Bertuzzi and where I think he will play in the NHL elevates him for me despite his rookie struggles.

Hicketts comes in at 18 for me. I am rooting for the kid, but seriously I don't see how he overcomes his reach and slightly above average skating at his size. Especially with right-handed weaponry in the farm system with size. I just think he maxes out as an exceptional European pro or very good AHL player. I hope he proves me wrong.

Axel Holmstrom is the hardest guy for me to rank in our prospect pool. With skating pickup he unquestionably vaults, but his skating isn't actually any better this year versus last and that is a major red flag. He is as bad a skater as Andersson was and people hate Andersson skating to this day and honestly it has improved immensely to be where it is.

For what it's worth, mine would be:

1. Mantha
2. Svechnikov
3. Athanasiou
4. Ouellet
5. Saarijarvi
6. Bertuzzi
7. Holmstrom
8. Frk
9. Sproul
10. Turgeon
11. Russo
12. Nosek
13. Jensen
14. Nastasiuk
15. Kadeykin
16. Hicketts
17. Coreau
18. Ehn
19. Vahatalo
20. Marsh

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
For what it's worth, mine would be:

1. Mantha
2. Svechnikov
3. Athanasiou
4. Ouellet
5. Saarijarvi
6. Bertuzzi
7. Holmstrom
8. Frk
9. Sproul
10. Turgeon
11. Russo
12. Nosek
13. Jensen
14. Nastasiuk
15. Kadeykin
16. Hicketts
17. Coreau
18. Ehn
19. Vahatalo
20. Marsh

At the end of the midseason rankings, I was going to make a personal top 20 thread, for what it's worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad