Rankings:
1. Anthony Mantha - 77.38%
2. Andreas Athanasiou - 63.04%
3. Evgeny Svechnikov - 77.05%
4. Xavier Ouellet - 69.70%
5. Vili Saarijarvi - 52.00%

-d3f3f38563efe551.jpg

19127930-mmmain.jpg

It's going to be tight for a little while I think. For me, it's between Holmstrom and Bertuzzi.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Still Little Bert, I like how his game should translate. Rough rookie year at the AHL level from a production standpoint, but I still like his tools and how he plays the game.

Cannot vote Axel in the top 10 until he can skate, so the same will happen when we run down the top 10 later this summer. He will not be a part of mine.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The 'tuzz. He's doing quite well, considering his icetime and linemates. I'm much more confident about him than I am about Holmstrom, who is arguably the worst-skating Wings prospect I have ever seen. Maybe Axel can get that figured out. But if he doesn't improve a LOT and soon, I don't see him as an NHL player. On the other hand, I think Bert is very NHL-projectable. He might not be a huge scorer, but I could totally see him fitting in on the third line.

I'm also not sold on Hicketts. In particular, his strengths are things that aren't going to help him a lot at the pro level; he gets a lot done on compete level, hockey sense, strength, defensive ability, and ruggedness. By all accounts a great leadership guy. He's good but not great offensively, and a good but not spectacular skater. But that's not enough to stand out when he's closer to 5'6 than the 5'8 he's listed at. His lack of reach is going to be seriously exploited at the pro level, and his lack of major wheels to make up for it will be a significant difficulty. I just don't see it.

Russo is a wildcard. I need to see more, but I'm impressed.

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Is it just me, but is the depth of our prospect pool significantly lower these days? Now that all the Calder Cup kids have graduated, outside of the top 3 there's no-one that really excites me for the future right now.

Voted for the Nephtuzzi.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Is it just me, but is the depth of our prospect pool significantly lower these days? Now that all the Calder Cup kids have graduated, outside of the top 3 there's no-one that really excites me for the future right now.

Voted for the Nephtuzzi.

That's not really a bad thing, we've had so many players graduate over the last 3 years. Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Dekeyser, Glendening, Mrazek, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Larkin, Marchenko. It was bound to take its toll on our prospect pool. And we're missing a few draft picks over the last 5 years too that hurt the quality of the net pool as well. But still, despite all of this, we have a very good prospect pool that'll undoubtedly get even better this summer.

Anyway, I went with Bertuzzi. I see Bertuzzi and Holmstrom as both being middle 6 players, but I think Bertuzzi is the more likely NHL player of the two.

This is going to be the first poll I'm going to ride out the full 48 hours too because of how close it is. I'll post the next one tomorrow, or a runner off if there's a tie.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The Wings reportedly having a 1st round grade on Turgeon has always been very intriguing to me.

Will he be in the AHL next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad