8. Robbie Russo - 34.62%
9. Joe Hicketts - 32.43%
10. Ryan Sproul - 23.08% - 73.81%
11. Nick Jensen - 31.82%

jensen.jpg

3598.jpg

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Went with Ehn. He looked solid at the WJC and has a good bottom-6 toolkit: skating, defensive play. faceoffs...

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Better than Nasty and Turgeon in this regard?

It's very difficult to compare. I'm going to say he's at least the best skater among those three but other than that... Completely different competition and a different style of play make it difficult.

But that's definitely a good trio to have.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
No one will agree with me, but Coreau is the only player left that has any NHL potential.

He's been killing it since last season. .927 SV% last year (25 games)
.930 SV% this year as the uncontested #1.

Goalies take a while to develop but he is only 24, which is young for a goalie. Detroit might have something in him. Maybe only a backup, maybe a starter, but he will play in the NHL in some capacity.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Jensen has an impressive flow in one of the pics there!

I fully credit Wings' scoring drought this season to the lack of well maintained, voluptious flows within the team. Since Z abandoned the glorious look, there is no one left to satisfy the hockey Gods. Oh captain oh captain, why have thou forsaken us?!!!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No one will agree with me, but Coreau is the only player left that has any NHL potential.

Goalies take a while to develop but he is only 24, which is young for a goalie. Detroit might have something in him. Maybe only a backup, maybe a starter, but he will play in the NHL in some capacity.

I don't think that's crazy, but plenty of goalies have managed to put up good AHL numbers then can't hack it in the NHL. Ones with much better pedigrees than Coreau. So it's kind of a crapshoot in my eyes.

Also, I don't really see why Turgeon doesn't have NHL potential.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Your assertion about Coreau isn't the slightest bit controversial. Your assertion about no one else on the list having any NHL potential is a moronic, wise-guy comment that shows a lack of knowledge about developmentally appropriate, post-draft play. Why on earth would someone summarily dismiss prospects who were drafted less than 12 months ago? Sure Aubry, Mitch and Frk don't look like they are going to make it, but none of the others have so much as touched North American professional hockey (apart from Nosek and Paterson). Hell, Nosek proved that he could play on our fourth line today.

Several years ago I thought Nesty had no ****ing chance of making the NHL. Fast forward a couple of years and he has almost 100 NHL games to his name. Yes they are statistical longshots, but some will in fact make it in some capacity.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I can buy what you are selling but It doesn't change my vote for this round

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I don't think that's crazy, but plenty of goalies have managed to put up good AHL numbers then can't hack it in the NHL. Ones with much better pedigrees than Coreau. So it's kind of a crapshoot in my eyes.

Also, I don't really see why Turgeon doesn't have NHL potential.

Fair enough. There have been goalies with better pedigrees than Coreau and have failed. On the flip side though, there have been goalies with "worse" pedigrees that have came out of nowhere and taken the league by storm. Goalies are a crapshoot but Coreau is at the age where goalies start to figure things out.

Now, I've only seen one Winterhawks game, but Turgeon reminds me of a worse version of Nastasiuk. He is not good offensively, but is good defensively. Team USA never thought to pick him for their WJ teams except for the U17. It's my opinion that he has been getting by on name recognition, and I'm sure being Pierre's son was the reason why he had a "First Round Grade." I'm sure his name will allow him to stick around in pro hockey longer than he should. Barely being a PPG player in your final season of junior hockey is a major disappointment, especially for someone who had a first round grade. Players with a legitimate first round grade aren't supposed to below average offensively. Not many would consider Bertuzzi a great offensive player but he significantly outproduced Turgeon in their final years for example.

Your assertion about Coreau isn't the slightest bit controversial. Your assertion about no one else on the list having any NHL potential is a moronic, wise-guy comment that shows a lack of knowledge about developmentally appropriate, post-draft play. Why on earth would someone summarily dismiss prospects who were drafted less than 12 months ago? Sure Aubry, Mitch and Frk don't look like they are going to make it, but none of the others have so much as touched North American professional hockey (apart from Nosek and Paterson). Hell, Nosek proved that he could play on our fourth line today.

Several years ago I thought Nesty had no ****ing chance of making the NHL. Fast forward a couple of years and he has almost 100 NHL games to his name. Yes they are statistical longshots, but some will in fact make it in some capacity.

You do realize that outside a few of these guys, a majority will not be NHL players. I'm sure if we looked at this list from 5 years ago, we'd see that a significant majority never even made it to the big show. Outside of 3-4 prospects on this list (if Detroit is lucky), most will never make it.

I can run through a majority of these guys if you like.

Turgeon- No offensive game that will translate to the Pro level. Barely being PPG in your 19-20 season is a major disappointment. Similar to Zach Nasty in my eyes. Will stick around longer in pro hockey than he should because of his name, which is the same reason he had a first round grade.

Frk- Can barely skate. Has a very good shot. Not much else that will translate to the NHL. Poor man's Pulkkinen. Detroit has no room for slow players that can shoot. One is enough.

Zach Nasty- Struggling in GR. Sent to the ECHL where he is doing well. If he makes the NHL (doubtful) it will be as a 4th line center, similar to Joakim Andersson in my eyes.

Nosek- After a decent year last year he has struggled in GR this year. He played a few games on the 4th line and wasn't noticeable. He'll be back in Europe soon enough. He didn't receive the call up this year because he was playing well, he received the call up because of his age and the fact that he's a "safe" player.

I can address other players if you'd like but I figured these are the ones left that people would consider to have NHL potential.

I'm sure I'll be wrong about a few of those guys, but these are just my opinions. The further down the list we go the less of a chance these guys will have to make the NHL.

I can buy what you are selling but It doesn't change my vote for this round

Fair enough. Maybe you'll vote for him next round.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
You do realize that outside a few of these guys, a majority will not be NHL players. I'm sure if we looked at this list from 5 years ago, we'd see that a significant majority never even made it to the big show. Outside of 3-4 prospects on this list (if Detroit is lucky), most will never make it.

That's obviously true but it's kind of ironic that you're saying Coreau is the only player left that has any NHL potential. Many of these guys are 4-5 years younger than Coreau and are further ahead than him at their age. So it doesn't make sense to be so definite.

Not saying anything bad about Coreau, I have him at #15.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
That's obviously true but it's kind of ironic that you're saying Coreau is the only player left that has any NHL potential. Many of these guys are 4-5 years younger than Coreau and are further ahead than him at their age. So it doesn't make sense to be so definite.

Not saying anything bad about Coreau, I have him at #15.

That is true, and if Coreau was a skater I'd look really silly to say the least. Coreau is a goalie and is 24 which is plenty young for a goalie and is also the time where they hit their stride. Most goalies don't become starters until they are 25-26 anyway. Things have been going well for Coreau and he may just take that newfound confidence and run with it.

I do understand where you are coming from though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad