Prospect Info: HFRedWings Midseason Prospect Rankings #1

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
No Dylan Larkin, Alexei Marchenko, Teemu Pulkkinen, or Petr Mrazek. I think we can finally consider all of them graduated. So I imagine there's going to be some debate over this one.

The first thing I noticed is how much our overall pool has taken a hit with all the graduations. :laugh:

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really close between AA, Svech, and Mantha.

Had AA til Mantha's resurgence, but I'm going with Mantha for the #1 spot right now.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Had AA til Mantha's resurgence, but I'm going with Mantha for the #1 spot right now.

Mantha is the real #1 around the league for trade value and potential.

But I also value actual NHL readiness and a little bit of a hunch.

I am going with AA #1.

p.s. did anyone else think detroit made a trade when you saw Etem traded for Nick Jensen the other day? (there is a 2nd nick jensen)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

That's where I'm at too. I had Svechnikov ahead of this group this summer, but after his disappointing WJC outing, while not completely terrible, could have been better, coinciding with Mantha's resurgence, I decided to go with Mantha as well.

I don't know who to go with for the next spot between AA or Svechnikov just yet though.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Mantha is the real #1 around the league for trade value and potential.

But I also value actual NHL readiness and a little bit of a hunch.

I am going with AA #1.

p.s. did anyone else think detroit made a trade when you saw Etem traded for Nick Jensen the other day? (there is a 2nd nick jensen)

Ha, I could easily see why. My app said Vancouver though, so I wasn't confused, haha. I'd totally do that trade though, I'd love to give Etem a chance.

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
Mantha #1, not close for me. Prospects from the Q take longer to translate to pro hockey, and big guys also take longer to develop.

I'll probably vote the same way as the top 10 stands from the list.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mantha and this one is not close at all for me.

Funny what a quick graduation along with several others in the expected timeline do to this. This is going to be the weakest top 5 we have had in a long time.

I rally see Mantha as the only true elite talent.

I like Svechnikov but he needs to work on his skating. I like Athanasiou but he is a second/third line tweener winger in my opinion. Sproul is having an interesting year, but honestly don't know if that means he has a ton in common with the guy we just mercifully waived yesterday...

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Definitely Mantha...last year was a lost year for him. We see how good Larkin has been...we can only hope Mantha can be half the player Larkin has been.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Mantha was an easy choice for me. Super high ceiling. Finally starting to get it together in the A. Seems like he's just a guy that needs a couple of years to figure it out at each level. Super excited for him on the wings someday.

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
Mantha.

He's always been a "slow learner" in every league but once everything starts to click for him he tends to blow up like the 4th of July.

His play away from the puck is vastly improved as well. He's also showing some great playmaking skills.

Anyone who thinks AA is on the same level is on some serious glue right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the front office has already decided XO and March are on the team next year (out of the guys that lose waiver eligibility next year). So I'm not sure what that means for Sproul and Jensen.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mantha, and it's not really close.

I think the front office has already decided XO and March are on the team next year (out of the guys that lose waiver eligibility next year). So I'm not sure what that means for Sproul and Jensen.
Both get waived and likely clear.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I meant, as far as ranking them as prospects I guess. Where do you put guys with no clear path to the NHL?

Prospects like Jensen I have a hard time ranking. Way closer to the NHL than most guys on this list, but I don't know if he will ever catch on.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I meant, as far as ranking them as prospects I guess. Where do you put guys with no clear path to the NHL?

Prospects like Jensen I have a hard time ranking. Way closer to the NHL than most guys on this list, but I don't know if he will ever catch on.

I have said it a lot, but it is hard to believe Jensen's skating doesn't get him a shot at some point. I hope it is with us, but I believe it will be with someone at some point in the next two years.

Sproul has the kind of tools that he might not pass waivers, especially with the uptick in his defensive reads this year. He is getting a lot more consistent, what frightens me is that if I had to pick a recent player he reminds me of it is Kindl. He just needs to physically engage more, he isn't as adverse to contact but he does bail on plays at times to avoid a hit and it upsets me when he does it.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008

Jensen will get waived and possibly clear. Sproul will take over benchwarming duties and get some games probably.

I'm expecting something like:

Kronwall
Green
DDK
Ericsson
Quincey/Smith
March
XO
Sproul

On the roster next year. One of KFQ or Smith may be gone. Outside chance of Ericsson.

Also a decent chance XO or Sproul get used as part of a trade, imo.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have said it a lot, but it is hard to believe Jensen's skating doesn't get him a shot at some point. I hope it is with us, but I believe it will be with someone at some point in the next two years.

Sproul has the kind of tools that he might not pass waivers, especially with the uptick in his defensive reads this year. He is getting a lot more consistent, what frightens me is that if I had to pick a recent player he reminds me of it is Kindl. He just needs to physically engage more, he isn't as adverse to contact but he does bail on plays at times to avoid a hit and it upsets me when he does it.

Really? That's too bad. Have to defer to you on these GR guys because I know you watch them more than me, but I remember when he got called up against St. Louis he really laid the body a few times. Pretty sure he lit someone up pretty good, actually.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Really? That's too bad. Have to defer to you on these GR guys because I know you watch them more than me, but I remember when he got called up against St. Louis he really laid the body a few times. Pretty sure he lit someone up pretty good, actually.

He shows that element.... Like I said he is much better at it than Kindl, just it isn't a consistent part of his game. Much better this year, it will still need more at the NHL level.

Where it really displays itself is getting blown up to make a play with the puck or to eat it in the corner. If he is the green light hitter he certainly takes it a heck of a lot more than Kindl. When he is going to be the hittie, well he has similar panic problems that make you upset. Occasionally you need to get blown up to make a play or at least it is more understandable when you get hammered and things don't go well, this happens to Smith for instance... What is pretty inexcusable is when you willfully back out on something knowing it can hurt the team just to avoid physical punishment. I still see that a decent amount out of Sproul and it is a problem that gets worse at the next level.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I do think the answer here that people aren't really thinking about is the Wings look like a team that could very well carry eight D-man next year. While unusual not exactly unheard of either for a NHL team worried about waivers to do this. The 14th forward will just be housed in GR. It is far from ideal as it is hard to get the two D-man playing time, but we will see what happens.

I have said for a while I thought Holland would be active from the time period of last trade deadline through this off-season and I think it is still shaping up that way. So a lot remains to be seen in my opinion, especially since I think DeKeyser has actually hurt his contract somewhat this year as has Sheahan so that could help in terms of our cap flexibility in the off-season.

Would love to do the Buff trade and cull some of our access that way and get this murky picture cleared up. But we have to extend him if we sink in the assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->