OT: HFPens Disco: PS5? New loafers? New glasses? Booze? Food? Dogs? Cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Anyone watch The Haunting of Hill House or Bly Manor? I generally don't care for horror type stuff, but they are both really good.
The Haunting of Hill House took a very unique spin on a fun horror book, I enjoyed the book and when it first aired, I was really into it and watched it again to see if I could find all of the ghosts again.

Bly House took a bunch of short stories that end in a more grim fashion and spun it into a more bittersweet romantic ending, bad accent aside, the narration was interesting, but still very enjoyable. A lot less in the "horror" that Hill house was and was more of a romantic thriller.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Haunting of Hill House took a very unique spin on a fun horror book, I enjoyed the book and when it first aired, I was really into it and watched it again to see if I could find all of the ghosts again.

Bly House took a bunch of short stories that end in a more grim fashion and spun it into a more bittersweet romantic ending, bad accent aside, the narration was interesting, but still very enjoyable. A lot less in the "horror" that Hill house was and was more of a romantic thriller.
I am glad I don't know enough about accents to notice them being bad. I guess I'd be more likely to notice if they were bad american accents. In world excuse: the narrator was doing all the voices her self as she told the story, give her a break.

The two were very different and I think that's a good call. It's so hard for a show to recapture what worked the first time if you just try to do basically the same thing again.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Shoe attack time

BD4E64A2-9F30-471C-AED6-D54D09BE2DED.jpeg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am glad I don't know enough about accents to notice them being bad. I guess I'd be more likely to notice if they were bad american accents. In world excuse: the narrator was doing all the voices her self as she told the story, give her a break.

The two were very different and I think that's a good call. It's so hard for a show to recapture what worked the first time if you just try to do basically the same thing again.
The thing is if they did the ending the same way the bly house short stories were based on, it'd be far too similar to the ending of Hill house but in the end they had that bitter sweet ending anyway. Bly house felt a little too similar, doesn't capture the thrills and story that Hill house had.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I decided that I'm going to turn my 3rd bedroom into a small gym instead of renewing my LA Fitness after COVID ends, but what's shocking is that prices for weights are still absurd right now. I knew they were really expensive a few months ago, but I'm surprised that they haven't really dropped at all. Treadmills are still reasonably priced, so I may just get a treadmill, a bench and whatever weights I can scrap off of Ebay or Craigslist at first, but I was hoping to get an actual set.

I found a 150 lb dumbbell set with a rack for $415, and after looking on Camel Camel for a price history, I saw that it jumped from $200 to $400 overnight when the pandemic hit and has alternated between $450 and $550 since June. That is downright absurd. I get that weights are more expensive because there is more of a demand and less supply for them right now, but this just feels like greedy capitalism.

It actually seems like Dicks has dumbbells at various stores at this point for only $1.10 per lb, so it may be worth going store to store to get a decent set (say 2 10s, 15s, 20s and 25s). You'd have to jump around from store to store, but you can get that for about $160, as opposed to $350 that is in some of these sets.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I decided that I'm going to turn my 3rd bedroom into a small gym instead of renewing my LA Fitness after COVID ends, but what's shocking is that prices for weights are still absurd right now. I knew they were really expensive a few months ago, but I'm surprised that they haven't really dropped at all. Treadmills are still reasonably priced, so I may just get a treadmill, a bench and whatever weights I can scrap off of Ebay or Craigslist at first, but I was hoping to get an actual set.

I found a 150 lb dumbbell set with a rack for $415, and after looking on Camel Camel for a price history, I saw that it jumped from $200 to $400 overnight when the pandemic hit and has alternated between $450 and $550 since June. That is downright absurd. I get that weights are more expensive because there is more of a demand and less supply for them right now, but this just feels like greedy capitalism.

It actually seems like Dicks has dumbbells at various stores at this point for only $1.10 per lb, so it may be worth going store to store to get a decent set (say 2 10s, 15s, 20s and 25s). You'd have to jump around from store to store, but you can get that for about $160, as opposed to $350 that is in some of these sets.

Get some exercise bands. They're way cheaper than weights. And they're versatile and can travel with you. I love mine.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Get some exercise bands. They're way cheaper than weights. And they're versatile and can travel with you. I love mine.

And a pull-up bar and/or push up handles.

Edit: a multi-use bench which you can use for situps is also a good investment. You can get the actual bar and weights later, but having a good bench already makes it easy.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This is good advice, I'll add this to the list of stuff I wanted to get.

And a pull-up bar and/or push up handles.

Edit: a multi-use bench which you can use for situps is also a good investment. You can get the actual bar and weights later, but having a good bench already makes it easy.

I planned on getting a treadmill, a bench and a rack and set of dumbbells to start. I'll also add exercise bands and a yoga mat to that as well. I'm not trying to make it a full blown gym because the room isn't big enough to support that, I just want it to be something that can be used for healthy maintenance.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I just did 10 minutes of jumping rope, a 10 minute ab video, a 30 minute body weight exercise video, another 10 minute ab video, and then finished it off with 5 minutes of jumping rope.

BLAH

This is good advice, I'll add this to the list of stuff I wanted to get.

I planned on getting a treadmill, a bench and a rack and set of dumbbells to start. I'll also add exercise bands and a yoga mat to that as well. I'm not trying to make it a full blown gym because the room isn't big enough to support that, I just want it to be something that can be used for healthy maintenance.

For what it's worth, I also love my Schwinn exercise bike. I bought mine 9+ years ago, but it looks like the current 130 Upright model is closest to what I have:

Schwinn 130 Upright Bike

I mean, I also hate running.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The thing is if they did the ending the same way the bly house short stories were based on, it'd be far too similar to the ending of Hill house but in the end they had that bitter sweet ending anyway. Bly house felt a little too similar, doesn't capture the thrills and story that Hill house had.
It's a lot more slow burn for sure. Hill House is better imo, but I liked Bly a lot too. It's a steady creepiness compared to a bit more of a rollercoaster with hill house.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
For what it's worth, I also love my Schwinn exercise bike. I bought mine 9+ years ago, but it looks like the current 130 Upright model is closest to what I have:

Schwinn 130 Upright Bike

I mean, I also hate running.

I thought about this too, but my general stance is that I hate running while I like biking. So if I want to bike, I'll just break out my bike and go bike somewhere. I'd rather have a treadmill to exercise because I can just put the incline on 15% and walk, while I can go on a bike ride if I want to bike.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Speaking of kittens, I saw this really cute cat for adoption that I really need to tell myself to not adopt :laugh:

Sure, the cat is cute as f*ck, but 3 cats for a 25 year old guy is getting quickly into "crazy cat man" territory.
Embrace it, you're already over halfway there.

And to weigh in on your home gym, exercise bikes are great in that if you're planning on watching a game or regular TV, it's easy to do so when your head is stationary. It's a lot harder when you're bobbing up and down on a treadmill. Just something to think about, I found myself getting random exercise because I'd just sit on my bike trainer and watch the pens or read.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I thought about this too, but my general stance is that I hate running while I like biking. So if I want to bike, I'll just break out my bike and go bike somewhere. I'd rather have a treadmill to exercise because I can just put the incline on 15% and walk, while I can go on a bike ride if I want to bike.

How long is the winter in Pitt that will stop you from riding?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Embrace it, you're already over halfway there.

And to weigh in on your home gym, exercise bikes are great in that if you're planning on watching a game or regular TV, it's easy to do so when your head is stationary. It's a lot harder when you're bobbing up and down on a treadmill. Just something to think about, I found myself getting random exercise because I'd just sit on my bike trainer and watch the pens or read.

Yeah that's true, but I honestly never had a problem with that when it came to using treadmills. When I used treadmills in the past pre-COVID, all I would do is set the incline to 15%, go at about 3 MPH and hold the rails to stay in place. It's not an effective workout to improve your cardio, but it's great at burning calories.

When I was at LA Fitness last, I'd usually go on Netflix and watch 2 episodes of something (so 45 minutes) while I did that workout.

How long is the winter in Pitt that will stop you from riding?

I probably won't be able to ride from December until March or so. I'm fine with biking in 45-50 degree weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad