Line Combos: HFPens Decides: Complete the Second Line

Who do you want to see on a line with Malkin and Galchenyuk?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Vote for what you want to see.

Kahun won the popular HFVote for "who do you want to see as the other winger with Sid and Jake?" And in doing so, defaulted Galchenyuk as one of Malkin's wingers. The current lineup:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk/XXX-Malkin-XXX/Galchenyuk
XXX-XXX-XXX
XXX-Blueger-XXX

Some assumptions, as of 8/2/2019:
  1. Blueger will be the fourth line center.
  2. Hornqvist can only play right wing.
  3. If in the top-6, Bjugstad will only be a right wing. Otherwise, he can be a center or RW in the bottom-6.
  4. Similarly, McCann will only be a left wing in the top-6. If in the bottom-6 he can be a center or LW.
  5. As a result, Bjugstad or McCann will likely be the third line center.
  6. Rust, Galchenyuk, Simon, Tanev, and ZAR can play either wing.
  7. Despite being listed as such on certain websites, Galchenyuk and ZAR are not centers.

Next up is completing the second line! Vote for who you want to see playing with Malkin and Galchenyuk.

If you vote someone who can play LW or RW, please let me know where you want them to be played.

Thanks!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
ZAR or McCann should be the answer here based on their on ice results. I think it's possible that Tanev could work well in that spot, but to say he should be in the spot is pretty crazy. He's like the 4th option in my eyes for that spot, after ZAR, McCann and Rust.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Tough one. That line needs some jam, so going with Horny in an attempt to recreate Sykora-G-Malone. Could also definitely see McCann or Rust doing well there.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d like to see Tanev get a good look, mainly because I want to see if I can justify his contract with comparisons to Hags or Kunitz on G’s LW...if he can’t cut it there, I wouldn’t be surprised to see ZAR there...even though he’s been good in spot duty there, I don’t think he’s quick enough on the forecheck to be a long term answer there...the third option would be McCann but I think he’s a drop off on the forecheck/board battle front which is probably the most important quality in a winger for the offensive pair of G-Gally

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hornqvist really intrigues me next to those two. If Chucky/Geno can generate a lot of SOG, having him there as a net front/forechecking presence who can cover defensively a bit seems like it could work well.

Only issue is we break up Simon-Bjugs-Hornqvist.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hornqvist really intrigues me next to those two. If Chucky/Geno can generate a lot of SOG, having him there as a net front/forechecking presence who can cover defensively a bit seems like it could work well.

Only issue is we break up Simon-Bjugs-Hornqvist.

I really like the idea of Hornqvist there but does the line have enough speed with him there? Are they going to get back in time, are they going to put enough pressure on with forechecking? Or would it be a line that's good once set up but struggles to get there?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Guess the two questions in my mind would be

A) Is Chucky going to be better on the left or the right?

and

B) Is the line going to need more physicality or more speed more urgently?

Reactions: Pens and Flames

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
And suddenly the forward "depth" manifests:

source.gif

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
I really don't wanna see Rust or Horny play their off wing on the 3rd line. Voted for Rust. Though in a vacuum, McCann is the most exciting choice.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I'm starting to think the plan is for Tanev to take a spot on Sid's wing to be the new Kunitz. This would make a whole lot of sense with the contract they gave him if they see his game comparable to Kunitz's. If he is a version of Kunitz, then this was a great signing.

This changes all scenarios of the remaining lines as well.

Beer

Reactions: Pens and Flames

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I really like the idea of Hornqvist there but does the line have enough speed with him there? Are they going to get back in time, are they going to put enough pressure on with forechecking? Or would it be a line that's good once set up but struggles to get there?

I think Chucky can check the box on speed, and imo Malkin is gonna have to be the puck carrier/transition no matter who we put there.

Rust is good too, can kinda do whatever the line needs him to do and is prob better in transition but since both aren’t really playmakers I think Hornqvist probably has more offensive upside in that spot, while creating more chaos. I also think he wins more pucks and battles.

(Simon is an underrated idea too but idk if he’s as good as Horny on the forecheck and walls. His skillset of below the goal line playmaking/defensive aptitude could be real interesting there tho.)

All three are good options, but I do believe Hornqvist at his best is better than the other two.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don’t even know if Malkin’s line necessarily needs to be “fast” as long as it’s supported well. You know, by like not putting JJ behind it.

Yeah I agree that the performance of the pairing behind him is more important than the wingers he’s with.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Galchenyuk’s speed is not bad, but it’s not anything special.

I don’t even know if Malkin’s line necessarily needs to be “fast” as long as it’s supported well. You know, by like not putting JJ behind it.

Malkin needs a guy that can go get the puck from the corners. Sadly I think Horny has lost a step and he can't do it. ZAR is a slower and less talented Horny

Rust USED to be able to do that and I'm not sure what's up with him, so he's out.

For me that leaves McCann and possibly Tanev

Reactions: Andy99

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
I went with Tanev.

There are four-five choices that makes sense and I don't really think one is better than the other, but I like the trickle-down effect it has on the other lines if Tanev fits on the second line. For example:

Guentzel - Crosby - Kahun
Tanev - Malkin - Galchenyuk (whatever wing you wanna play them on)
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
McCann - Blueger - Rust

That fourth line is something else. I don't think there's many teams that can match that depth, assuming everything works out which it rarely does...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->