Line Combos: HFPens Decides - 4th Line Wingers

Who do you want as the 4th line wingers? Select two.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Current lineup as per HFPens:

Zucker (100%)-Crosby-Kapanen (77%)
Guentzel (66%)-Malkin-Rust (97%)
McCann (94%)-Blueger (67%)-Tanev (59%) [54% for this winger pairing]
hhh-Jankowski (89%)-jjj
lll

Dumoulin (100%)-Letang
Matheson (56%)-Marino
Pettersson (97%)-Riikola (63%) [60% vote for this pairing]
Ceci/Ruhwedel

Jarry-DeSmith

Poll #11 - Who do you want as the 4th line wingers? Select two.

Poll will be open for a few days, unless it is a blowout.

Jankowski won the 4th line center spot fairly convincingly.

In this poll, vote for the wingers (who are still available) you want to see on the 4th line. Select two.

Some assumptions and rules:
  1. You are to vote for what you want to see -- not what you expect the coaches to do. This is for the opening day lineup. Yes, it'll change throughout the season.
  2. Crosby and Malkin are the top two centers.
  3. Jarry is the starter and DeSmith is the backup.
  4. ZAR will be on the IR to start the season. This means he will not be listed as an option in any of the polls.
  5. In the top 4, defenseman will not play on their "off" side.
  6. I will not be listing players for positions they have not played at the NHL level. For example, I will not be listing Tanev as an option for the third line center.
  7. Due to the amount of one-way contracts, I will not be including Poulin and POJ (or other prospects) as voting options. Feel free to write them in as a vote, though. [okay, I guess I lied about Poulin not being listed]
  8. A majority vote is not needed to win. But we may have runoff polls if I deem the numbers to be too close.
  9. We are assuming a starting line-up for 4 full lines and 3 full pairings. We are also assuming only one extra forward and two extra defenders. @NMK11
Let me know of questions or concerns.

Previous threads:

Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - 20/21 Version
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Jake Guentzel
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Third Line Center
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Marino's Partner
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Give Sid a RW
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Letang's Partner
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Zucker
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - Rust
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - 3rd Line Wingers
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - 3rd Defense Pairing
Line Combos: - HFPens Decides - 4th Line Center

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rodiour, and it's up to the guys behind them to move them.

I would add that the acceptability of Poulin being used on the 4th line here waxes and wanes with what happens to the Q season. If it's a very Q truncated season left after the NHL season starts, then the case for keeping Poulin with the big show increases, even if he doesn't play at all.

Reactions: Gurglesons

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

I would add that the acceptability of Poulin being used on the 4th line here waxes and wanes with what happens to the Q season. If it's a very Q truncated season left after the NHL season starts, then the case for keeping Poulin with the big show increases, even if he doesn't play at all.

Is there a year of ELC burning if he stays in NHL?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is there a year of ELC burning if he stays in NHL?

If he plays more than nine games, yes (along with the waiver exemption clock and time to UFA) but I'm not that concerned by that. That's three-four years away, and right now the priority should be throwing everything at winning another cup in the two shots we've got before we decide whether to extend Geno and Tanger, before Rust, Kapanen and McCann get their next contracts, and maybe before the core are no longer able to sustain the idea of winning cups due to Father Time. I am happy to run the risk of awkward decisions in 23 because we kept Poulin up, or maybe even him busting, if I think that seriously increases his ability to contribute in this two year window.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If Poulin doesn’t light the team on fire during training camp and can’t break into the top 9 as a regular during the season, I’d rather not burn a year of his eligibility playing him on L4...

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Yeah, by all accounts the Q is in real risk.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I went with Lafferty and Angello, but I hope someone from WBS emerges in training camp. I don't want Poulin on the 4th line, and if Rodrigues/Sceviour are more then depth players we are in deep trouble.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I went with Lafferty and Angello, but I hope someone from WBS emerges in training camp. I don't want Poulin on the 4th line, and if Rodrigues/Sceviour are more then depth players we are in deep trouble.

Not sure I see that much in Lafferty except a 12/13 forward at best. Still depth is good and he's still waiver exempt. Angello haven't seen enough at NHL level but the Penguins seem pretty good at identifying how good players are. Have we really been hurt by moving on from any prospects? We don't know what Addison will be yet but anyone like that I wouldn't include because of the player that came back (Zucker). I'm talking prospects in minor trades or just letting them walk.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Not sure I see that much in Lafferty except a 12/13 forward at best. Still depth is good and he's still waiver exempt. Angello haven't seen enough at NHL level but the Penguins seem pretty good at identifying how good players are. Have we really been hurt by moving on from any prospects? We don't know what Addison will be yet but anyone like that I wouldn't include because of the player that came back (Zucker). I'm talking prospects in minor trades or just letting them walk.

Muzzin is the main one that comes to mind.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Muzzin is the main one that comes to mind.

He didn’t play any games in the Pens system at all but yeah he’s one.

Sundqvist is doing well on the Blues but at the time he wasn’t great and there wasn’t a spot for him. Can’t be assed looking but I imagine he would have been lost to waivers before he would have been ready here if not traded.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He didn’t play any games in the Pens system at all but yeah he’s one.

Sundqvist is doing well on the Blues but at the time he wasn’t great and there wasn’t a spot for him. Can’t be assed looking but I imagine he would have been lost to waivers before he would have been ready here if not traded.

He likely gets dealt for Sheahan instead of Wilson I imagine.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Might have been claimed on waivers before we even got to that point.

20/20 hindsight but being patient with Sundqvist would have been awesome for us now - assuming he'd fit our system - but shit happens. Does count as a prospect where moving on hurt us imo.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Might have been claimed on waivers before we even got to that point.

20/20 hindsight but being patient with Sundqvist would have been awesome for us now - assuming he'd fit our system - but shit happens. Does count as a prospect where moving on hurt us imo.

Yeah, but comparatively look at Boston or Arizona and what they’ve burned through.

Pretty remarkable what two regimes have done in terms of asset analysis in what we’ve moved on from.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Shoulder surgery.... pffft.

SnarlingBeautifulDoe-max-1mb.gif

8479944-e1538416971153.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad