Line Combos: HFPens Decides - 20/21 Version

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
In past offseasons I've run some polls to see how HFPens would assemble the lineup. It helps pass the time and keep some conversations moving along. I plan on doing those polls again sometime soon.

Some assumptions and rules:
  1. You are to vote for what you want to see -- not what you expect the coaches to do.
  2. Crosby and Malkin are the top two centers.
  3. Jarry is the starter and DeSmith is the backup.
  4. ZAR will be on the IR to start the season. This means he will not be listed as an option in any of the polls.
  5. In the top 4, defenseman will not play on their "off" side.
  6. I will not be listing players for positions they have not played at the NHL level. For example, I will not be listing Tanev as an option for the third line center.
  7. Due to the amount of one-way contracts, I will not be including Poulin and POJ (or other prospects) as voting options. Feel free to write them in as a vote, though.
  8. A majority vote is not needed to win. But we may have runoff polls if I deem the numbers to be too close.
  9. I will be working my way "down" the lineup.
Let me know of questions or concerns. And let me know your thoughts on bullet point #5 above. Is it fair? Should it be followed for the bottom pairing as well?

Last offseason, HFPens selected this as the top 6:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
McCann-Malkin-Galchenyuk

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And here was the starting lineup in Game 1:

Reactions: Tom Hanks

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is tough. Projections for the Pens are unique because we can go different routes. Could we stack the top 6? Sure. Could we try to make the best 4 lines? Sure.

But... I will sure as hell share a laugh once its all over.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
My preference;

Jake-Sid-Kapanen
Zucker-Geno-Rust
McCann-TB-Poulin
Tanev-Jankowski-Sceviour
E-Rod/Lafferty

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Petts-Riikola
Ceci/Ruhwedel

Reactions: LRS87

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd try to get some scoring out of line 3. Jankowski can score as well as defend and I think this gives them best of both worlds. I won't get into hot takes/debates over the 3rd line. You like TB there and I don't. If you want more out of TB he shouldn't be a C at all. Opens a ton of freedom for him and he can still be a great defensive forward who can be the the guy to take faceoffs after whomever is chased out.

Guentzel,Crosby,Poulin
Zucker,Malkin,Rust
McCann,Jankowski,Kapanen
Blueger,Sceviour,Tanev
Rodrigues/Lafferty

Dumoulin,Letang
Matheson,Marino
Patterson,Ceci
Rikola,Rivoli,

Jarry,DeSmith

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Zucker-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Blueger-Sceviour
Rodrigues-Jankowski-Tanev
Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Matheson-Ruhwedel
Riikola

Jarry
DeSmith

I put Rust with Sid because I don’t think Kappy is going to mesh (not yet anyway). He’s on L2 so I put Jake with him for his playmaking to support Geno.

I bumped up Sceviour as I just have a good feeling about him and think he’s better at making plays than Tanev which is important for that line. L4 is real solid.

I put our best 4 D men in the top 4 because we get 2 rock solid pairs. Not interested in the middle pair being potentially worse just because we need to have baby sitter. Play with that once we get a bunch of wins on the board.

Until Matheson proves something here I’ve got him on the bottom pair. I had to put Ruhwedel in then because I think he’s a better match than Riikola for Matheson (though Riikola is better).

Ceci can **** right off.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Jake-Sid-Rust
Zucker-Geno-Kapanen
McCann-Jankowski-Poulin
Sceviour-Bleuger-Tanev

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Ceci

TJ/CDS

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Rule No. 7 says don’t include Poulin..........4 out the first 7 lineups have Poulin :laugh:

Edit: Randy did say feel free to write him in

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Assuming no Poulin, because his QMJHL start is shaky enough where I may pick to just let him play a full year in the Q:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Blueger-Tanev
Rodrigues-Jankowski-Sceviour

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Pettersson-Riikola

Jarry
DeSmith

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I didn’t realize you were joining the @Soggy Biscuit school of hot takes.

I’m happy I wasn’t drinking coffee when I read this

tenor.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I didn’t realize you were joining the @Soggy Biscuit school of hot takes.

It's a valid question. My other question is, some have played 11 games, he's played 5. I can ONLY assume it's that he's hurt...or...?

ETA:

Dang, Cédric Desruisseaux has 21pts in 11 games. 14 goals. Last year he had 14 goals in 56 games. 45 less games to hit the same goal total ain't half bad. 20yo though. That said...hell, invite him to camp!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's a valid question. My other question is, some have played 11 games, he's played 5. I can ONLY assume it's that he's hurt...or...?

ETA:

Dang, Cédric Desruisseaux has 21pts in 11 games. 14 goals. Last year he had 14 goals in 56 games. 45 less games to hit the same goal total ain't half bad. 20yo though. That said...hell, invite him to camp!

I imagine Poulin’s career is pretty much over at this point.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Poulin's team apparently has only played 5 games. NVM

They are 0-5 and looks like they've been slaughtered each game. 12 GF, 27GA. So there is a bit of context to the 6pt in 5GP and being a -5.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Zucker, Crosby, Kapanen
Guentzel, Malkin, Rust
McCann, Blueger, Tanev
Rodrigues, Jankowski, Lafferty/Sceviour

Dumoulin, Letang
Matheson, Marino
Pettersson, Ceci/Riikola

Jarry
Not DeSmith.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Zucker - Crosby - Kapanen
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Blueger - Tanev
Rodrigues - Jankowski - Sceviour

Dumoulin - Letang
Matheson - Marino
Pettersson - Ceci

Jarry
DeSmith
Pretty confident in the top-3 lines, but the 4th line sucks by a lot, it looks like we're back to a bunch of worthless 13th filler players ala Glass and Adams ... the good years you know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad