OT: HFPens Community Lounge: All Are Welcome (No, Not You)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
From the 'We're Having Weather in SoCal Department': we're having weather in SoCal and it's a.) hilarious when Angelenos have no clue what sleet or hail are and b.) I think the clouds had Taco Bell for dinner because gas isn't supposed to expel solids this quickly.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Hope you aren't actually hurt

fdqD3i.gif

Sore but otherwise fine, I think... Mother Nature low bridged me for sure.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Thanks. I've seen videos on Hades and it certainly looks and sounds good. The only roguelike I think I've ever played was Enter the Gungeon and I think I only played that for 20 minutes.

Certainly not a roguelike, but I saw that the Borderlands Collection for Switch was only $30...
I like borderlands 2 quite a bit more than the other two. The first is a mediocre single player game at best imo.

I like hades way more than any of them though for what that's worth.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Did you try before you bought, or order online? I don’t venture out during covid, but my back is killing me.

I tried it first. That doesn’t always tell you though if your sitting for long periods. I’ll try to find what I bought add link it here.

I try to set a timer every hour to do a quick 5 min walk/stretch. Usually do a 30 min walk before & after work too.

My back is usually alright except when the belly expands too much :laugh: I do get neck pain sitting too much. So I just got to make sure when I’m home even just getting up off the couch every so often helps and a heated neck pad but movement is the most beneficial

Also how’s your posture? I’ve seen those devices or straps to help with it but not sure how effective they are.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I tried it first. That doesn’t always tell you though if your sitting for long periods. I’ll try to find what I bought add link it here.

I try to set a timer every hour to do a quick 5 min walk/stretch. Usually do a 30 min walk before & after work too.

My back is usually alright except when the belly expands too much :laugh: I do get neck pain sitting too much. So I just got to make sure when I’m home even just getting up off the couch every so often helps and a heated neck pad but movement is the most beneficial

Also how’s your posture? I’ve seen those devices or straps to help with it but not sure how effective they are.
Idk sometimes i catch myself slouching, but overall i think it is ok. I think my main problem is that I am sitting on a kitchen chair with no cushion or adjustments haha.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Idk sometimes i catch myself slouching, but overall i think it is ok. I think my main problem is that I am sitting on a kitchen chair with no cushion or adjustments haha.

Lol yeah that chair wouldn’t help.

Here’s what I have

RENBERGET Swivel chair, Bomstad black - IKEA

I also have an adjustable foot rest.

Make sure the monitor isn’t too high or low either.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Did you try before you bought, or order online? I don’t venture out during covid, but my back is killing me.
Which part of your back? Is it upper or lower? You could just need to tighten your core and strengthen your back. A lot of people with bad posture have their shoulders rolling inward which means their chest is pulling them in and you also slouch.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Which part of your back? Is it upper or lower? You could just need to tighten your core and strengthen your back. A lot of people with bad posture have their shoulders rolling inward which means their chest is pulling them in and you also slouch.
I guess I would call it my middle back? My whole body could use a strengthening lol.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Got the new hat at home. The old cats are surprisingly indifferent/fine towards her, but Onyx is still a little defensive. There's been a little bit of hissing/growling, but it's all been initiated by Onyx and it's really not bad overall.

I think they'll be fine with each other by the end of the weekend, which makes me really happy to see.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Got the new hat at home. The old cats are surprisingly indifferent/fine towards her, but Onyx is still a little defensive. There's been a little bit of hissing/growling, but it's all been initiated by Onyx and it's really not bad overall.

I think they'll be fine with each other by the end of the weekend, which makes me really happy to see.

Game on lol

BlueUnlinedBluebottlejellyfish-max-1mb.gif

PS Congratulations :DD

Last edited:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal

What hat did you buy and is it for you or the cat?

Just leave her be for a few days. Daisy never really got on with Sox and Spyder and they lived together for over 10 years :laugh:

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What hat did you buy and is it for you or the cat?

Just leave her be for a few days. Daisy never really got on with Sox and Spyder and they lived together for over 10 years :laugh:

Yeah I think they'll be fine within a few days. Onyx is already super chill with me, she's currently laying on my stomach as I'm watching TV. The cats can be in the same room together and be fine, it's just if they get too close Onyx gets a little scared.

I tried keeping them separate by putting up a baby gate and leaving a door open, but Onyx keeps climbing the gate so I let her out. Nala (13 year old tabby) is mostly indifferent towards her and a little curious, she's already fine with Onyx. Kiara is a little scared but I also think she wants to play with Onyx, I saw her get into her pounce position when eying up Onyx to play with her. It's mostly Onyx being scared of the other 2 at this point, and she's only been here for 18 hours. I imagine it will be fine by next weekend.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Anyone have a good office/desk chair recommendation?

Depends on what your budget for 'good' is.

I'm extremely thankful for an absurdly kind gift that allowed me to replace my broken chair with a legitimately amazing chair somewhere around June or July. 'Good' here cost $1,000...but with my back it's more than worth it for the pain it allows me to avoid. The next step up would have been Herman Miller territory, which was just too expensive for me to justify.

I tried to do 'good' on an budget the last time and that chair lasted me about 7 years...which was a definitely upgrade over the <$100 chairs I was used to, but I don't feel like it was good enough or lasted long enough to be worth the mid-range $350 I paid for (which was a luxury price as far as I was concerned after never spending more than $50 on a chair prior).

I'm not good at explaining stuff like this. My chair doesn't look like it's worth $1,000. My chair doesn't feel like it's worth $1,000. But then I get into bed after sitting in it almost all day and actually get sleep and I wonder if my chair is magic. I'm blaming this chair for my console gaming going down about 5000% since I got it...I'm infinitely more comfortable and leave with less pain sitting at my computer desk for the first time ever. It used to be the sitting at the desk part was the thing that made me not want to be a writer; now I'm sitting here trying to think of things I can work on here because I'm in too much pain to sit anywhere else in my apartment. I guess that'll happen when your computer chair costs more than your couch. Oh, and if you try to lift it...that's when you realize where the big differences come in that make the price difference between mid-range and great comes in. This f***ing chair weighs nearly as much as I do...thankfully a luxury cost comes with it arriving fully assembled. Also color choice...anytime I can get anything in falling between somewhere between chartreuse & olive I'm going to be stupidly happy. Bonus points for being a very cool chair, even in the heart of summer, without the need to swap padding out for mesh.

Steelcase Gesture, I believe is the one I have. Highly recommended if you just robbed a hedge-fund manager, have the ability to splurge on such an item, or have back issues.
s-l640.jpg

Having everything fully adjustable and lockable while being ergonomic, comfortable, and cool runs the cost up a lot and makes for one of the few times I've been able to really understand how a price can jump so much from a good item and a great item. Plus with everything being made out of steel and a lifetime warranty, this thing will be with me for a long-ass time, rather than being something I'll be replacing again in a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogthateats

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Depends on what your budget for 'good' is.

I'm extremely thankful for an absurdly kind gift that allowed me to replace my broken chair with a legitimately amazing chair somewhere around June or July. 'Good' here cost $1,000...but with my back it's more than worth it for the pain it allows me to avoid. The next step up would have been Herman Miller territory, which was just too expensive for me to justify.

I tried to do 'good' on an budget the last time and that chair lasted me about 7 years...which was a definitely upgrade over the <$100 chairs I was used to, but I don't feel like it was good enough or lasted long enough to be worth the mid-range $350 I paid for (which was a luxury price as far as I was concerned after never spending more than $50 on a chair prior).

I'm not good at explaining stuff like this. My chair doesn't look like it's worth $1,000. My chair doesn't feel like it's worth $1,000. But then I get into bed after sitting in it almost all day and actually get sleep and I wonder if my chair is magic. I'm blaming this chair for my console gaming going down about 5000% since I got it...I'm infinitely more comfortable and leave with less pain sitting at my computer desk for the first time ever. It used to be the sitting at the desk part was the thing that made me not want to be a writer; now I'm sitting here trying to think of things I can work on here because I'm in too much pain to sit anywhere else in my apartment. I guess that'll happen when your computer chair costs more than your couch. Oh, and if you try to lift it...that's when you realize where the big differences come in that make the price difference between mid-range and great comes in. This f***ing chair weighs half as much as I do...thankfully a luxury cost comes with it arriving fully assembled. Also color choice...anytime I can get anything in falling between somewhere between chartreuse & olive I'm going to be stupidly happy. Bonus points for being a very cool chair, even in the heart of summer, without the need to swap padding out for mesh.

Steelcase Gesture, I believe is the one I have. Highly recommended if you just robbed a hedge-fund manager, have the ability to splurge on such an item, or have back issues.
s-l640.jpg

Having everything fully adjustable and lockable while being ergonomic, comfortable, and cool runs the cost up a lot and makes for one of the few times I've been able to really understand how a price can jump so much from a good item and a great item. Plus with everything being made out of steel and a lifetime warranty, this thing will be with me for a long-ass time, rather than being something I'll be replacing again in a few years.
Thank you for the write up. In my very brief research, I have found several mentions of Herman Miller and Steelcase. I was a little shocked when I saw the price, but the more that I think about it, it makes sense to me not to cheap out on an item that I will be using for 8+ hours a day. It’s nice to read a review from a real person and not some sleazy website that is making money from affiliate links and ads.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Thank you for the write up. In my very brief research, I have found several mentions of Herman Miller and Steelcase. I was a little shocked when I saw the price, but the more that I think about it, it makes sense to me not to cheap out on an item that I will be using for 8+ hours a day. It’s nice to read a review from a real person and not some sleazy website that is making money from affiliate links and ads.

Built to last a lifetime and comes with a lifetime warranty to match, which helps make that up-front cost go down slightly easier. The mid-range chairs are generally built to last 5-10 years from my research and limited personal experience.

FWIW I'll probably only be able to eat because of slimy affiliate links once I launch my site, but I know what you mean. It was difficult to weed out which reviews were honest and which ones were salesmen trying to push a product.

If nothing else the brand Steelcase lives up to the name when it comes to build quality. I'm having a real hard time imaging steel sagging the way my old chair did. It's only been ~7 months, but it still looks the way it did the day it arrived despite me spending 12+ hours a day in it.

Fully adjustable arm rests are a luxury I never knew I needed.

Reactions: dogthateats

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@Empoleon8771 . . . so cute. How are the kiddies getting along? Continuing to trend in the right direction?

More or less the same, it's definitely going well so far. I've been keeping them separated for most of the afternoon because I don't want to overwhelm them, but they definitely seem pretty chill overall. I can tell they're getting better because their eyes aren't becoming super dilated when they get close to each other, because dilated eyes are a sign of a scared car I believe.

I think it took my cats a good 2-3 days before they were fine in the same room as each other, but it's only been a day so far and they can tolerate that right now. Just can't let them get too close to each other, they want to sniff each other but it scares both of them when they do that :laugh:

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad