Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
:edmonton

HFOil's Top-20 Oilers Prospects

Eligibility: <30 career NHL games played, <25 years old.

1. Evan Bouchard - RD (83.3%)
2. Dylan Holloway - C/LW (77.2%)

. . .

Previous rankings (couldn't find one for 2019)

Prospect Info: - HFOIL 2020 Prospect Rankings (Poll #20)

1. Philip Broberg
2. Evan Bouchard
3. Dylan Holloway
4. Dmitri Samorukov
5. Tyler Benson
6. Raphael Lavoie
7. Ryan McLeod
8. Ilya Konovalov
9. William Lagesson
10. Tyler Tullio
11. Filip Berglund
12. Carter Savoie
13. Olivier Rodrigue
14. Kirill Maksimov
15. Michael Kesselring
16. Cooper Marody
17. Philip Kemp
18. Stuart Skinner
19. Maxim Beryozkin
20. Aapeli Rasanen

Prospect Info: - HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018 (Final Rankings)

1) Evan Bouchard
2) Kailer Yamamoto
3) Ethan Bear
4) Tyler Benson
5) Ryan McLeod
6) Kirill Maksimov
7) Caleb Jones
8) Stuart Skinner
9) Cooper Marody
10) Ostap Safin
11) William Lagesson
12) Filip Berglund
13) Dmitri Samorukov
14) Olivier Rodrigue
15) Joel Persson
16) Aapeli Rasanen
17) Philip Kemp
18) Cameron Hebig
19) Graham McPhee
20) Tyler Vesel

Prospect Info: - HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2017 (FINAL RANKINGS)

1) Jesse Puljujarvi
2) Kailer Yamamoto
3) Caleb Jones
4) Ethan Bear
5) Tyler Benson
6) Laurent Brossoit
7) Ziyat Paigin
8) Jujhar Khaira
9) Dylan Wells
10) Joe Gambardella
11) Nick Ellis
12) Ryan Mantha
13) Dmitri Samorukov
14) Ostap Safin
15) Aapeli Rasanen
16) Kirill Maksimov
17) Filip Berglund
18) Stuart Skinner
19) Markus Niemelainen
20) John Marino

Let me know who to add.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Every year we do these I hope to see Ostap Safin near the top of our chart.

Alas, another year of disappointment:(

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Voted McLeod since he did very well in the AHL at a young age and will most likely be in the lineup come opening night.

Reactions: Faelko

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Every year we do these I hope to see Ostap Safin near the top of our chart.

Alas, another year of disappointment:(

He showed some flashes last season, this season he needs to bring some consistency if he ever wants to be a NHL player.

Reactions: GOilers88

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yup, for me it's not about who's more NHL ready but who has the higher potential.

With the game changing so much towards speed we've got a real gem here.
It's why I voted Samorukov. He has more skill and ability than Broberg has and has had for year. Broberg has the skating on him imo and that's it

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yup, for me it's not about who's more NHL ready but who has the higher potential.

With the game changing so much towards speed we've got a real gem here.

Thankfully Holloway is also a burner. I just have a hard time gauging his offensive upside until I see him play against pro's. I'm guessing that he has 60 point upside but he might have more than that. I still envision Broberg as a quicker, less physical but more talented version of a younger Darnell Nurse. If he has a similar progression and a higher peak than what Darnell hit this last season, that would be one hell of a player. Hopefully Broberg is healthy and having a big offseason leading up to his rookie pro season in NA.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Voted McLeod since he did very well in the AHL at a young age and will most likely be in the lineup come opening night.

I don't think that he has the offensive upside to be ranked that high. Are you basing your projection on NHL readiness or NHL impact once/if they're ready?

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Took a flyer on McLeod. Last season, he played a controlled and disciplined game - thanks to Tippett making him focus on the D-game only. Generally, we saw a smart player that's comfortable in a 3rd /4th line role, anywhere on the ice.
This season, I'm expecting Tippett to give him more leash and play a deeper O-zone game....McLeod can be trusted to hustle and back check as needed.
Hope Holloway, McLeod and Broberg hit it out of the park this season!!! We all win!

Reactions: snipes

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I disagree that Samo has more skill. IMO he is more technically sound, physical and stronger than Broberg, but doesn't have more offensive skill.
I'd disagree there.

Broberg should offensive skill a single time in his entire career at the U18 and that's it

Since then Samorukov put up better numbers offensively (yes it's hard to compare directly but looking at NHLe is the easiest way to compare).

Broberg has random flashes of ability or gets most of his points in 1/2 games. Samorukov is much more consistent.

His defensive ability also appears to be light years ahead of Broberg and is much more physical.

At the end of the day I think both have a high end of a second pairing defender but I think Samorukov has a better chance to hit that. Broberg still has too many flaws imo. Broberg had the tools but his toolbox is non existent. Still very raw.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'd disagree there.

Broberg should offensive skill a single time in his entire career at the U18 and that's it

Since then Samorukov put up better numbers offensively (yes it's hard to compare directly but looking at NHLe is the easiest way to compare).

Broberg has random flashes of ability or gets most of his points in 1/2 games. Samorukov is much more consistent.

His defensive ability also appears to be light years ahead of Broberg and is much more physical.

At the end of the day I think both have a high end of a second pairing defender but I think Samorukov has a better chance to hit that. Broberg still has too many flaws imo. Broberg had the tools but his toolbox is non existent. Still very raw.
Kinda like how Nurse’s toolbox was non existent up until recently.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Feelin' Raphie. I'm quite sure he'll make it as an NHL player, even if it's just a PK guy. Dude is smooth out there.

Wanted to vote Konovalov but undersized goalies just don't seem like the play unless they are absolute top tier. I DO have faith in him though and I can see him as a backup so we'll see.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Feelin' Raphie. I'm quite sure he'll make it as an NHL player, even if it's just a PK guy. Dude is smooth out there.

Wanted to vote Konovalov but undersized goalies just don't seem like the play unless they are absolute top tier. I DO have faith in him though and I can see him as a backup so we'll see.
Lavoie? Smooth? PK guy?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Kinda like how Nurse’s toolbox was non existent up until recently.
And? Nurse was a much better prospect. Had more offensive ability and was much more physical.

Nurse was always high risk high reward. I don't see Broberg having the skill to be a top pairing guy. I think a good second pairing guy is his peak but his likelihood of reaching it is lower than a guy like Samorukov

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Lavoie? Smooth? PK guy?

Yeah him the man, I think PK guy is his absolute bottom. Only watched him like 10 times but I came away impressed every time and he just looked clinical. I can see him as a 2-3 line kind of guy 25 goal career high.

Not that high on Broberg tbh, hope he proves me wrong.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
And? Nurse was a much better prospect. Had more offensive ability and was much more physical.

Nurse was always high risk high reward. I don't see Broberg having the skill to be a top pairing guy. I think a good second pairing guy is his peak but his likelihood of reaching it is lower than a guy like Samorukov
Nurse was seen in a similar light to Broberg, limited offensive tools but an exceptional skater.

Broberg probably had more puck skills at the same age.

Whether he puts it together or not, who knows.

I didn't ever expect Nurse to be how good he is now anyways.

Samorukov is just so positionally sound, hits like a truck, has some puck moving ability, so I think hes a safer bet to hit his ceiling than Broberg, but I also think his ceiling is lower than Brobergs.

I guess its a good problem to have for our left side on D.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah him the man, I think PK guy is his absolute bottom. Only watched him like 10 times but I came away impressed every time and he just looked clinical. I can see him as a 2-3 line kind of guy 25 goal career high.

Not that high on Broberg tbh, hope he proves me wrong.
I dont think Lavoie skates well enough to be a PK guy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nurse was seen in a similar light to Broberg, limited offensive tools but an exceptional skater.

Broberg probably had more puck skills at the same age.

Whether he puts it together or not, who knows.

I didn't ever expect Nurse to be how good he is now anyways.

Samorukov is just so positionally sound, hits like a truck, has some puck moving ability, so I think hes a safer bet to hit his ceiling than Broberg, but I also think his ceiling is lower than Brobergs.

I guess its a good problem to have for our left side on D.
I could see Samorukov being a more valuable D cause he seems custom built for the playoffs.

Sound strong positionally, enough luck moving ability. And an uncanny clean physicality.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Close one for me. Broberg is the higher potential, but Samorukov could be a middle pair left handed Larsson (with some differences) as early as this season

I weigh higher on potential ceiling so went with Broberg

Last edited:

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
As others have said, when it comes to a prospect list I value potential higher and Voted broberg.
Even though a player like McLeod I expect makes the team as our 4C I’d list him closer to 5-6 on this list and graduates. It’s been years since we could say our 5th best prospect was making the big team

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I went with Broberg here.

He needs to play actual games before I could make any assessment. 300 games is the threshold for Ds to see what they're capable of doing. He's a safe bet to be middle pairing but I'm curious if he's able to top out as a #2. Again, we won't know what he'll turn out to be until he's gotten experience at the NHL level.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad