Klefbom
Brossoit
Gernat(for versatility)
Chase
Khaira
Simpson

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This thread is hilarious. Shows how strange some people think.

Marincin is the only and best answer to this question. Although technically that isn't very fair cause he already has 40 some games under his belt and appears to no longer be a prospect.

Marincin is showing extremely well in a top 4 role against an extremely tough Western Conference. He is the most successful player of that group and still has tons of room to grow/improve.

Sure you can say Leon could/would/should be better eventually. Same with Nurse. But both those guys are nothing at the moment... So... yeah... by definition Marincin is the best prospect.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Marincin is the only and best answer to this question. Although technically that isn't very fair cause he already has 40 some games under his belt and appears to no longer be a prospect.

Marincin is showing extremely well in a top 4 role against an extremely tough Western Conference. He is the most successful player of that group and still has tons of room to grow/improve.

Sure you can say Leon could/would/should be better eventually. Same with Nurse. But both those guys are nothing at the moment... So... yeah... by definition Marincin is the best prospect.

I think more people value upside over NHL readiness when talking about these rankings.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
hmmm
  1. Draisaitl
  2. Nurse
  3. Marincin
  4. Klefbom
  5. Chase
  6. Khaira
  7. Brossoit
  8. Yakimov
  9. Moroz
  10. Musil

Eirhead*

I would rate Draisaitl as a 9.0D on the hf prospect scale. Because of the European transition and weaknesses in his skating, I don't think he's a sure fire superstar, but I do believe he has a higher ceiling than Nuge.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Disagree, Ekblad is a way better prospect than Andrew Ference. Doesn't matter how you put it. Upside is what counts not what they have done.

For the record I am not sold on Marincin, I am surprised how many people fell in love with him. He is smart, good positionally is decent at a first pass, but, he doesn't have a lot of offensive upside, he is tall but pretty week. I saw alot of guys push him of pucks last year. Personally I think a lot higher of Klef, but, hey that is just me. Still like Marincin. just not as sold as many are.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Disagree, Ekblad is a way better prospect than Andrew Ference. Doesn't matter how you put it. Upside is what counts not what they have done.

For the record I am not sold on Marincin, I am surprised how many people fell in love with him. He is smart, good positionally is decent at a first pass, but, he doesn't have a lot of offensive upside, he is tall but pretty week. I saw alot of guys push him of pucks last year. Personally I think a lot higher of Klef, but, hey that is just me. Still like Marincin. just not as sold as many are.

I see where u are going with this but Ferrence isn't a prospect and Marincin is. I am not going to go check but I also hardly expect Ferrence was drafted as high as Marincin or had his kind of upside.

If you completely ignore what Marincin has done to date, and I am not sure why u would, he still should be 3rd or 4th on the list.

His high potential combined with his success to date puts him as our best prospect no questions asked
Edit.

There are more than a few who like klefbom more than Marincin but that is only based off of potential.

So far Marincin is notably better.

The reasons I love Marincin are second best skater on the club behind Hall. Between his skating and stickwork he is very rarely out of position or out of the play.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Strictly on upside.

Draisaitl
Nurse
Yakimov
Slepyshev
Marincin
Klefbom

I rate Klef and Marincin very high so if Yak and Slep are better, those are four elite prospects. I hope you're right and they are that good, but not because the two defenders are not as good as projected.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I see where u are going with this but Ferrence isn't a prospect and Marincin is. I am not going to go check but I also hardly expect Ferrence was drafted as high as Marincin or had his kind of upside.

If you completely ignore what Marincin has done to date, and I am not sure why u would, he still should be 3rd or 4th on the list.

His high potential combined with his success to date puts him as our best prospect no questions asked.

well you love Marincin which is fine, no way do I put him ahead of Nurse or LD thought.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I rate Klef and Marincin very high so if Yak and Slep are better, those are four elite prospects. I hope you're right and they are that good, but not because the two defenders are not as good as projected.

Really like what I saw from Slepyshev and Yakimov during the WJC and their 2-way game is what Oilers sorely needs.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
well you love Marincin which is fine, no way do I put him ahead of Nurse or LD thought.

That is fine. To each their own.

I am just pointing out the combo of proven NHL success plus his elite blue chip, for a defenseman high end potential, puts him above someone with only potential.

Nurse for example, as high as he is drafted, historically speaking is unlikely to be the best D man from his draft year. Defense is just too hard to predict.

Since Leon is a forward maybe you could argue he "should "end up better.

However what Marincin has accomplished so far really puts him in some elite territory.

Edit.

Oh and Marincin was drafted as an offensive defenseman. The fact that he has improved so drastically defensively and can bring his offensive along as he gets more experience.

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
I voted Draisaitl but to me Draisaitl/Nurse are more or less interchangeable in terms of best prospect. I also think Dillon Simpson should be added to the poll once those two are gone.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse for me. His upside is higher than Draisaitl's IMO. Plus I love the aggressive style of game Nurse plays.

Nurse
Draisaitl
Marincin
Klefbom
Yakimov
Khaira
Moroz

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Immediate impact is Marincin without a question.

Total upside, I go with Nurse. I think the biggest thing that put Jones ahead of him was Jones' significant edge in production, but when Nurse was made the guy on SSM, he stepped up

I think Nurse has a chance (not a guarantee) of being a meaner Pietrangelo. That's a rare talent.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Draisaitl, but not because "shiny new toy" syndrome.

Nurse is a great prospect, physical, great skating, but has been noted to make poor D zone decisions. I think hell rely on his althetiscm more so than his hockey IQ (purely from scouting reports)

LD is almost opposite, his skating is a weakness right now, and he relies on an unreal hockey IQ. I think he can improve this area with solid training. He is also trying to improve his D zone play, which is a great sign.

I think he can make improvements in easier areas, but already has high hockey IQ

OVOXO*

Simpson is getting underrated. His development has been ridiculous. He's probably on par with Klefbom.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Didn't get a chance to vote but:

1 - Nurse
2 - Kelfbom
3 - Marincin
4 - Draisaitl
5 - Moroz
6 - Khaira
7 - Chase