Prospect Info: HFOilers Ranks: Top 20 Oilers Prospects #17

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Poll #16 Winner: With 17.35% of the Vote:

EwanykOKC3.jpg

Travis Ewanyk

Thanks to all who votepd in poll sixteen.

HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects
1) Leon Draisaitl - C - Prince Albert Raiders - WHL - 56.44%
2) Darnell Nurse - D - Soo Greyhounds - OHL - 94.20%
3) Martin Marincin - D - Edmonton Oilers - NHL - 47.20%
3) Oscar Klefbom - D - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 47.20%*
5) Bogdan Yakimov - C - Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk - KHL - 47.33%
6) Jujhar Khaira - C - Everett Silvertips - WHL - 29.05%
7) Dillon Simpson - D - UND Fighting Sioux - NCAA - 32.67%
8) Greg Chase - RW - Calgary Hitmen - WHL - 37.90%
9) Mitchell Moroz - LW - Edmonton Oil Kings - WHL - 29.84%
10) Laurent Brossoit - G - Bakersfield Condors - ECHL - 32.08%
11) Martin Gernat - D - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 29.91%
12) Tyler Pitlick - RW - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 31.48%
13) David Musil - D - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 30.97%
14) Marco Roy - LW - Blainville-Boisbriand Armada - QMJHL - 51.09%
15) Anton Slepyshev - LW - Salavat Yulaev Ufa - KHL - 67.31%
16) Travis Ewanyk - C - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 17.35%
*Poll #3 was a tie

On to Poll #17:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
For the last few rounds, i doubt most people have watched 20 games a year of the player so their opinion is really not worth time.

If publications want the real list they will get it from scouts that see the players play.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
For the last few rounds, i doubt most people have watched 20 games a year of the player so their opinion is really not worth time.

If publications want the real list they will get it from scouts that see the players play.

A lot of these players have played in the CHL and AHL. What makes you think those leagues are hard to see in 2014?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Went with Laleggia again.

Might not be the most likely to play in the NHL, but I don't think there's anyone on the list more talented than him.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well if Ewanyk went #16... McCarron has to be right there with him in the rankings... very similar type player but I'd say slightly more upside with his size.

Based on pure skill alone... LaLeggia should be picked by now... but the old "small one-dimensional dman" argument is working against him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like the scouting report on Lagesson. Give him a few years to develop in college (that's his goal right?) and he could be a gem.

Oct 15, 2008
Well if Ewanyk went #16... McCarron has to be right there with him in the rankings... very similar type player but I'd say slightly more upside with his size.

Based on pure skill alone... LaLeggia should be picked by now... but the old "small one-dimensional dman" argument is working against him.

Most people dont watch ECAC hockey.

Out of sight, out of mind. I dont know how McCarron skates, but Travis Ewanyk has NHL wheels.

Laleggia is skilled but small, and was drafted as an over-ager. I dont pretend to know about his game or even watch him other than very briefly, but just looking at his stats alone, I wonder if he is progressing? His point totals seem to be staying the same or even declining as he becomes an older player in his league.

Perhaps someone with more viewings/knowledge can chime in and explain why that is?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Most people dont watch ECAC hockey.

Out of sight, out of mind. I dont know how McCarron skates, but Travis Ewanyk has NHL wheels.

Laleggia is skilled but small, and was drafted as an over-ager. I dont pretend to know about his game or even watch him other than very briefly, but just looking at his stats alone, I wonder if he is progressing? His point totals seem to be staying the same or even declining as he becomes an older player in his league.

Perhaps someone with more viewings/knowledge can chime in and explain why that is?

Sorry, no actual views on him beyond what you're probably exposed to, which is highlight packages and hearing what scouts say. However, I think we can probably come to a good conclusion on your question by looking at the stats of the players around him over his college career.

2011-12, he explodes onto the scene, scoring 38 points for fourth on his team and first on his team in defense.
2012-13, his scoring dips to 29, and then 25 finally, albeit playing less games both season than his first, best season.

Changing factors? Fairly big. In the first year, Drew Shore gets 53 points, Jason Zucker collects 46 and Nick Shore has a 41 point campaign.

The next year, only Nick Shore remains and gets just 34 points to lead the team, down from Drew with 53 the year before!

Finally, in 2013-14, Even Nick is gone, and Trevor Moore leads the team with just 32 points.

Now, this is all just going off stats and doesn't tell the full picture, but it looks like Joey LaLeggia probably benefited greatly from having other offensive players around him. Once the best two moved on, his numbers plummeted. That could be the reason for his statistical regression; I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Reason for hope? He's been the top-scoring defenseman on his team each season anyway, and has been 3rd or 4th in team scoring for his three seasons. He also could be improving his game in areas that don't show up as easily on the scoresheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad