Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018 (Poll #8)

Who is the Oilers #8 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Congratulations to poll #7 winner:

40sT2Pe.png

Caleb Jones

HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018
1) Evan Bouchard - RD - London Knights - OHL - 74%
2) Kailer Yamamoto - RW - Spokane Chiefs - WHL - 93%
3) Ethan Bear - RD - Bakersfield Condors - AHL - 49%
4) Tyler Benson - LW - Vancouver Giants - WHL - 36%
5) Ryan McLeod - C - Mississauga Steelheads - OHL - 37%
6) Kirill Maksimov - RW - Niagara IceDogs - OHL - 48%
7) Caleb Jones - LD - Bakersfield Condors - AHL - 35%

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Took Jones the last four polls so now it’s Marody. Skinner probably wins this but it’s too early for a goalie.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Getting to the point where I don't feel as comfortable with my votes due to lack of knowledge but when with Lagesson. I like what I've seen out of him so far.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I’ll be voting Lagesson til he wins now. Primarily because I think he’s got a great shot at being an NHLer for a decade.
I'm positive he'll make it but I doubt he'll be more than a bottom pair guy. My next 3 picks are Marody, Skinner, Laggeson in that order. Went with Marody on this one.

Reactions: Aerchon

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Safin again for me. I can understand the case for a number of guys here but Ostap is my guy here.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
McPhee and Persson aren't getting any love which is surprising to me. If Marody is getting love as a prospect at his age, why not Persson?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
McPhee and Persson aren't getting any love which is surprising to me. If Marody is getting love as a prospect at his age, why not Persson?

How old do you think Marody is? He’s 21, which is the same age as Bear and Jones, and younger than Lagesson. Persson is also 24. I’m probably going to vote for Persson soon, but he’s in a lower tier

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How old do you think Marody is? He’s 21, which is the same age as Bear and Jones, and younger than Lagesson. Persson is also 24. I’m probably going to vote for Persson soon, but he’s in a lower tier

I thought that Marody was 22. Regardless, what Persson did is pretty damn impressive.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Absolutely it is. Just Marody is far from the negative “at his age” category of prospects

Fair enough. I like Marody minus his skating. If he improves that part of his game he could be a steal for us for what we gave up to get him.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm positive he'll make it but I doubt he'll be more than a bottom pair guy. My next 3 picks are Marody, Skinner, Laggeson in that order. Went with Marody on this one.
You know that very few actually make it, right? You can’t be positive.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You know that very few actually make it, right? You can’t be positive.

Yep. I said the exact same things about Musil because of how well he read the game, and despite looking decent in his 4 game stint, he’s not in North America anymore. Lander was also a guaranteed NHLer who was out of North America at 25. There was a huge crowd on here who wanted Lazar over Nurse because worst case scenario, he was going to be a 3C. Even “safe” prospects aren’t safe bets

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I really Safin I think of everything works out for him he can be a good third line wing with some nice offensive upside. I can’t vote for Marody, I’ve never seen him play or watched his shift by shift videos.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Siikanen should probably be added to the voting list soon as well... I think he has better upside than several that are on there now.

Niemelainen was looking pretty solid when he was drafted but has tumbled down pretty hard in his 2 seasons since his draft.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Siikanen should probably be added to the voting list soon as well... I think he has better upside than several that are on there now.

Niemelainen was looking pretty solid when he was drafted but has tumbled down pretty hard in his 2 seasons since his draft.

Not sure I would use "upside" to describe Siikanen.

I don't think there's a single Finn in the league who put up numbers as low as he did in his draft year.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Not sure I would use "upside" to describe Siikanen.

I don't think there's a single Finn in the league who put up numbers as low as he did in his draft year.

Well come on... you have to use a bit of perspective here... he's a 7th rounder.

I'm just saying I think he has better upside than some of the lower players that are currently up there on the board (some of whom probably won't be chosen in the top 20 either).

Siikanen has an April birthday which puts him in the latter half of his draft year group as far as youth goes... he has decent size as well.

He put up .71 pts/game in the top Finnish Junior league which was 9th best ppg figure among the under 18's.

Those ahead of him were:

Nordgren picked in the 3rd round but I had him ranked MUCH higher.

Kakko likely will be picked top 10 in the 2019 draft.

Killinen... went in the 4th round.

Kivenmaki went in the 7th as well to Detroit... I had him ranked much higher as well.

Lundell... already a ppg player at 16 and not even eligible until 2020.

Maccelli... nearly a ppg and not eligible until 2019.

Nikkanen... solid numbers and not eligible until 2019.

Tanus... decent numbers but smallish and is a late birthday (August) which saw him go undrafted.

So of all the eligible u18 players in the top Finnish Junior league... Siikanen had the 5th best pts/game.

I think he was a solid 7th round pick and yes I think he has some decent upside.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeFLB

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well come on... you have to use a bit of perspective here... he's a 7th rounder.

I'm just saying I think has better upside than some of the lower players that are currently up there on the board (some of whom probably won't be chosen in the top 20 either).

Siikanen has an April birthday which puts him in the latter half of his draft year group as far as youth goes... he has decent size as well.

He put up .71 pts/game in the top Finnish Junior league which was 9th best ppg figure among the under 18's.

Those ahead of him were:

Nordgren picked in the 3rd round but I had him ranked MUCH higher.

Kakko likely will be picked top 10 in the 2019 draft.

Killinen... went in the 4th round.

Kivenmaki went in the 7th as well to Detroit... I had him ranked much higher as well.

Lundell... already a ppg player at 16 and not even eligible until 2020.

Maccelli... nearly a ppg and not eligible until 2019.

Nikkanen... solid numbers and not eligible until 2019.

Tanus... decent numbers but smallish and is a late birthday (August) which saw him go undrafted.

So of all the eligible u18 players in the top Finnish Junior league... Siikanen had the 5th best pts/game.

I think he was a solid 7th round pick and yes I think he has some decent upside.

Outside Henrik Borgstrom(who didn't play pro to keep NCAA eligibility), every Finnish forward in the NHL played almost their entire draft year in the Finnish men's league.

Basically everyone had far better 16 year old seasons in the Jr A SM Liiga than Siikanen did as a 17 year old.

He's a long shot to even become a decent Finnish pro let alone an NHLer.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well again... I'm not comparing Siikanen to Yamamoto or Bouchard here in terms of his ability to crack the NHL.

I'm just saying he has just as much of a chance or better at cracking the NHL (slim as that may be) as Oiler prospects up on that list like Vesel, Gambardella, McPhee etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad