Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018 (Poll #7)

Who is the Oilers #7 Prospect?

• Joe Gambardella

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hayden Hawkey

• Philip Kemp

• Ryan Mantha

• John Marino

• Graham McPhee

• Joel Persson

• Patrick Russell

• Dylan Wells

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Trust me I love Maksimov and I think if all goes right (unlikely) we’ve got the second coming of Neal on our hands. Middle ground I think is a Perron type, low end is Pouliot.

He’s got the shot, McLeod’s got the wheels. I think in today’s game the skating ability is more important.

I feel like skating is getting a bit overrated nowadays. It's starting to remind me of how size was seen before. Lots of great players with size, so GMs start to think that every player with size will be great.

To me, great skating can only take the player as far as the rest of the package will allow him. I think McLeod is a guy who has some major issues(that aren't necessarily too hard to fix) in that package that, if not corrected, will limit him to a guy who skates around really fast, doesn't accomplish much and frustrates you to no end.

Maksimov doesn't have those issues(physicality, consistency, board work, work ethic) and I'd even probably call them strengths. That's why I think Maksimov has the higher floor while having basically the same kind of upside.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Skating isn’t overrated. Mediocre skating can be overcome with other skills but it’s really important.

Reactions: Aerrol

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Skating isn’t overrated. Mediocre skating can be overcome with other skills but it’s really important.

I think he is more referring to people skating is the be all and end all nowa days. There are plenty of fantastic and fast skaters in the NHL who have other attributes that are below average so it makes them pretty bad players. While I agree that skating is incredibly important today more so than 5-6 years ago, it is a bit overrated. People seem to think if a player can't skate like McDavid he will suck (a bit over dramatic but still holds true to most of these boards).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Im going with Marody. I think he could surprise some people.

I'm the opposite. I think he's being a bit overhyped and I don't see him getting more than a cup of coffee in the NHL. He's a poor mans' Purcell IMO, has some skill but I don't see much desire in his game.

He just kind of plods around the ice looking to pounce on mistakes, don't think that'll work in the NHL. Has some sneaky good skill though, good vision. I could see him being the type of player that becomes a great AHLer but never amounts to much in the NHL, tweener.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'm the opposite. I think he's being a bit overhyped and I don't see him getting more than a cup of coffee in the NHL. He's a poor mans' Purcell IMO, has some skill but I don't see much desire in his game.

He just kind of plods around the ice looking to pounce on mistakes, don't think that'll work in the NHL. Has some sneaky good skill though, good vision. I could see him being the type of player that becomes a great AHLer but never amounts to much in the NHL, tweener.
Fair, let's see what happens this year

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

While I have no problem with Marody. I still believe his trade and the signing of a few other uni guys is Chia Pet and Co telling us that the depth of the organisation is not as deep as some would like to believe

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I dont understand why the flyers traded marody.

When did he sign?

Was he not signing with philly?

The Flyers have one of the best prospect pools in the league and in the last 4 years they drafted 9 more forwards in the first three rounds (at the time they dealt Marody they knew they had two firsts going into this draft)

Konecny (Marody’s Draft) Rubstov/Laberge/Allison/Twarynski (2016) Patrick/Frost (2017) Farabee/O’Brien (2018)

Safe to say they felt they had the internal depth to absorb his loss and turn a 6th into a 3rd.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The Flyers have one of the best prospect pools in the league and in the last 4 years they drafted 9 more forwards in the first three rounds (at the time they dealt Marody they knew they had two firsts going into this draft)

Konecny (Marody’s Draft) Rubstov/Laberge/Allison/Twarynski (2016) Patrick/Frost (2017) Farabee/O’Brien (2018)

Safe to say they felt they had the internal depth to absorb his loss and turn a 6th into a 3rd.

And a 3rd is likely the most you may get but arguably hes a 2nd rounder in a redraft.

But you answered none of my questions....... i dig your response regardless i guess.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm quite high on Morody, but Caleb Jones is still in that second pairing upside range so I'll have to go with him. I think he might be a decent trade chip for us this season if he picks up his game at the AHL level.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don’t think I’ll ever vote for a goalie. So much up and done

Brossoit 6
Ellis 11
Wells 9
Skinner 18

Funny what one year does

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Agreed. A prime example of how amazing skating can turn forgettable skills into a steady NHLer is Carl Hagelin. He can't shoot, stick handle, or pass especially well, his defensive positioning isn't great, but the man can fly and that's earned him a steady middle 6 role on the Pens.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Wow...............unbelievable that Samorukov only has 2 votes. One from me. I think you guys need to look into him a bit more. Check out the shift by shift videos posted on here. By all reports he was a stud at the summer rookie camp. He is big, skates well, and solid defensively. I think after the rookie camp we will have at least another 30% of you talking all about Dimitri.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Wow...............unbelievable that Samorukov only has 2 votes. One from me. I think you guys need to look into him a bit more. Check out the shift by shift videos posted on here. By all reports he was a stud at the summer rookie camp. He is big, skates well, and solid defensively. I think after the rookie camp we will have at least another 30% of you talking all about Dimitri.

Love Samorukov, looked outstanding in his time with the Condors late in the year. Needs to bring that level of play consistently.

He's 9th on my list (7th at this time last year). Which is awesome. Speaks to the depth we now have.

I can't vote for him over Jones.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I'm quite high on Morody, but Caleb Jones is still in that second pairing upside range so I'll have to go with him. I think he might be a decent trade chip for us this season if he picks up his game at the AHL level.

Like you said second pairing upside range. I'd rather use another for a trade chip as Jones has some versatility.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I honestly believe that if his last name wasn't Jones, he wouldn't get nearly the same amount of hype.
Jones put up just under a point a game(62 in 63 games) his last year in the WHL, and was an absolute force for Team USA in winning the u20 title that year. He played a team high 36 minutes in the gold medal game. They hype has absolutely nothing to do with his name.

Reactions: Aerrol

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Trust me I love Maksimov and I think if all goes right (unlikely) we’ve got the second coming of Neal on our hands. Middle ground I think is a Perron type, low end is Pouliot.

He’s got the shot, McLeod’s got the wheels. I think in today’s game the skating ability is more important.
No one on our team has the shot. so someone who can snipe would be a welcome addition.
We have plenty of Pontus Abergs now ie guys who could skate.
Ryan friggin Nugent Hopkins probably is the best shot on the team these days.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
No one on our team has the shot. so someone who can snipe would be a welcome addition.
We have plenty of Pontus Abergs now ie guys who could skate.
Ryan friggin Nugent Hopkins probably is the best shot on the team these days.
I think Draisaitl asks you wtf you're on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad