Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018 (Poll #6)

Who is the Oilers #6 Prospect?

• Filip Berglund

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Gambardella

• Philip Kemp

• Ryan Mantha

• John Marino

• Aapeli Rasanen

• Oliver Rodrigue

• Patrick Russell

• Dmitri Samorukov

• Tyler Vesel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Jones, Samorukov, Maksimov, Marody, Lagesson, McLeod, Bear, Benson are all ranked pretty close in my eyes. Can't remember anytime since I've been a fan that we have had this many quality prospect.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Jones, Samorukov, Maksimov, Marody, Lagesson, McLeod, Bear, Benson are all ranked pretty close in my eyes. Can't remember anytime since I've been a fan that we have had this many quality prospect.

Call me conservative or sceptical but I do not have the same feeling

We have quite a few prospects where there is no middle ground on them.

Even our top guys. Vouchers and Yamamoto come with question marks. Bouchard with his skating and Yamamoto being able to put up with NHL level of physical play.

Benson it is about him staying health. Bear is interesting and the problem is finding a spot on the d for him.

We have some interesting toys in the toy box yes. But we must show patience

Reactions: Aerrol

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Have we ever had a list of propsects this big and thought "yeah he's got a shot at playing in the NHL"

Obviously a lot of them wont, but I'm really liking the depth of this prospect pool!

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Maksimov: 62GP 34G 46A 80Pts 72PIM +23
McLeod: 68GP 26G 44A 70Pts 26PIM -2
3rd yr in CHL vs 4th yr in CHL. I know they are only 3 months apart but there is a reason why one was a 5th rounder and the other went in top 50.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Have we ever had a list of propsects this big and thought "yeah he's got a shot at playing in the NHL"

Obviously a lot of them wont, but I'm really liking the depth of this prospect pool!
We have had much better lists.. This is actually a pretty sad looking list after the first 2 names.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't think it's a poor prospect pool. There's obviously a lot of potential there and now it's just up to development to see how many can reach their ultimate ceiling.

I strongly believe if this same group of prospects was in the Tampa Bay org or any other team known for successful development... most would say this draft pool is one of the strongest in the NHL.

Reactions: MessierII

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Call me conservative or sceptical but I do not have the same feeling

We have quite a few prospects where there is no middle ground on them.

Even our top guys. Vouchers and Yamamoto come with question marks. Bouchard with his skating and Yamamoto being able to put up with NHL level of physical play.

Benson it is about him staying health. Bear is interesting and the problem is finding a spot on the d for him.

We have some interesting toys in the toy box yes. But we must show patience

I'm similar, but slightly more optimistic. I do think our prospect pool on paper is better than it has been in forever (barring 1OAs of course), but I also have seen a lot of promising prospects totally flame out. I really thought one of Rajala, Yakimov, Chase, Gernat, or Zharkov would have panned out for us.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
They never had stable partners all year. Lowe was often with Mantha or Jones. Bear and Lowe were rarely together. If I remember correctly Bear played a lot with Simpson. Jones also saw a lot of time with Gryba. Which funny enough was bad for Jones' game. Gryba really struggled with the Condors.

On top of that, the Condors never had a real top unit, it was always by comitee. I think Lowe and whomever he was paired with usually saw the top comp, but there isn't data to back that up, this is just off memory. They really spread the minutes and tried to pair a vet with one of the kids (Bear, Jones and Mantha) each night.

It’s hard to find accurate ice time totals for the AHL, but Prospect-Stats has Bear’s eTOI/GP at 13:54 and Jones’ at 15:11. Those numbers seem low, so maybe theres a chance I'm not understanding the stat, so if someone wants to clarify, please do.

In the final three games of the year (Bear was back from the Oilers) they tried Bear and Jones together and I liked that a lot. I think they work well together and really push each other. If it were up to me that would be the top pair in Bakersfield all year next season.

As for claiming Jones was the worst defenceman in Bakersfield, I saw something different. He had rough patches and moments of idiocy, but around Christmas and into January (before he got hurt) he was excellent to my eye. When he came back from injury he needed time to find his game again. Then again down the stretch (last 10 games) he was excellent.
I have game sheets from every game although they don’t show ice time unfortunately but they do show how the D were paired. The guy who gives me the sheets gives me pretty solid reports and Jones struggled harder than anyone down there without question. He did like you said though finish strong in the last 10 games or so. Hopefully that’s more indicative of his play going forward but either way after the year he had its intellicatually dishonest to have him in your top 5. Bear has been better for a couple of years now and too many other guys had much better years. Unfortunately as a prospect your only as good as your most recent year. Guys who hit major roadblocks almost never reach their ceiling.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
For fun I made a 23 man roster of our prospects with fewer than 100 NHL games played.

Safin-Marody-Puljujarvi
Russell-McLeod-Yamamoto
Currie-Benson-Maksimov
Rasanen-Vesel-Gambardella
McPhee

Lagesson-Bouchard
Jones-Bear
Berglund-Persson
Samorukov

Skinner
Wells
Rodrigue

Reactions: Aerchon

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
For fun I made a 23 man roster of our prospects with fewer than 100 NHL games played.

Safin-Marody-Puljujarvi
Russell-McLeod-Yamamoto
Currie-Benson-Maksimov
McPhee

Lagesson-Bouchard
Jones-Bear
Berglund-Persson
Samorukov

Skinner
Wells
Rodrigue
Centre and Left D a little weak. Other than that looks promising. Definitely the most promising pool I’ve seen in my lifetime.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
3rd yr in CHL vs 4th yr in CHL. I know they are only 3 months apart but there is a reason why one was a 5th rounder and the other went in top 50.

Both have played 3 full seasons in the OHL. Kirill split 2016 and 2017 between Saginaw and Niagra. The reason one was a 5th rounder and one was top 50 is because one just made the cutoff for the 2017 draft while the other just missed it. Kirill was drafted after only his second season where he had 38 points in 66 games. In his third season Kirill had 80 points in 62 games. In McLeods second season he had 42 points in 68 games (a bit better), but was NHL draft ineligible. In his third season Mcleod had 70 points in 68 games. After this season he was draft eligible. Just imagine where Kirill would have gone if his draft eligibility was after his 3rd OHL season as well. Kirill was a steal last year based on this year of work.

Reactions: Draiskull

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Centre and Left D a little weak. Other than that looks promising. Definitely the most promising pool I’ve seen in my lifetime.

That is what is so wonderful. Center and LD are our two strengths. We won't be looking for a top 6 Center anytime in the next decade. On LD the only thing we are lacking is a surefire top pairing if Klef can't bounce back.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I have game sheets from every game although they don’t show ice time unfortunately but they do show how the D were paired. The guy who gives me the sheets gives me pretty solid reports and Jones struggled harder than anyone down there without question. He did like you said though finish strong in the last 10 games or so. Hopefully that’s more indicative of his play going forward but either way after the year he had its intellicatually dishonest to have him in your top 5. Bear has been better for a couple of years now and too many other guys had much better years. Unfortunately as a prospect your only as good as your most recent year. Guys who hit major roadblocks almost never reach their ceiling.

You've spelled intellectually wrong.

Also the idea that disagreeing with you makes me " intellectually dishonest" is ridiculous. There is no fact involved. This is all subjective. I think Jones showed well this year. You (or your friend) disagree.

I did some digging into rookie pro seasons for age-20 defencemen and there are a ton of solid NHL D that struggled. My favourite example is Oscar Klefbom. He put up 1G 9A 10P over 48GP in his rookie pro year (technically he was playing pro in Sweden, but this was his first NA season). Oilers fans were extremely nervous about him. Then he broke out in year two, joined the Oilers midway through the year and never looked back.

I will say though, at least statistically almost every guy that I looked at broke out in year two. So I do think Jones needs to find a way to produce more consistently next year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Safin-Marody-Puljujarvi
Russell-McLeod-Yamamoto
Currie-Benson-Maksimov
McPhee

Lagesson-Bouchard
Jones-Bear
Berglund-Persson
Samorukov

Skinner
Wells
Rodrigue

Good and balanced group. I don't think its overly optimistic to think 4 forwards, 2 defense, and a goalie can come in and be regular NHLers from that group.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You've spelled intellectually wrong.

Also the idea that disagreeing with you makes me " intellectually dishonest" is ridiculous. There is no fact involved. This is all subjective. I think Jones showed well this year. You (or your friend) disagree.

I did some digging into rookie pro seasons for age-20 defencemen and there are a ton of solid NHL D that struggled. My favourite example is Oscar Klefbom. He put up 1G 9A 10P over 48GP in his rookie pro year (technically he was playing pro in Sweden, but this was his first NA season). Oilers fans were extremely nervous about him. Then he broke out in year two, joined the Oilers midway through the year and never looked back.

I will say though, at least statistically almost every guy that I looked at broke out in year two. So I do think Jones needs to find a way to produce more consistently next year.
Oscar Klefbom not a great comparable. While he struggled offensively he wasn’t -25. Klefbom still played top pair and was good enough to earn a call up. Klefbom is a better comparible for Bear at the same age although I’d put Bear ahead of him at this point as he was more successful the minors. It’s one thing to struggle offensively making the jump to the AHL it’s another to be a defensive train wreck for long stretches.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Are you saying yes its a good and balanced group, or are you saying there aren't 7 NHL regulars in that group?
I’m saying that it’s overly optimistic to believe that four forwards, two defencemen and one goalie from that group will make it as regular NHL’rs.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I am staying on the Lagesson train, to the end :)

Maksimov is a very good choice here though.

A dark horse, who is not in the conversation currently, is Berglund imo. I'll try to watch him more this year. If he improves his skating he could be having a big break-out year in the SHL. He was veeeeeery impressive in the SHL playoffs this season, and basically improved any time he was given more responsability and when games became important.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I’m saying that it’s overly optimistic to believe that four forwards, two defencemen and one goalie from that group will make it as regular NHL’rs.

JP & Bouchard are on that list. Both elite blue chip prospects. Both "should" be regular NHLers at some point. JP already basically is.

That leaves 3 forwards from: Yama (Already played NHL), Benson, McLeod, Maxi, Safin, Marody +...

One defenseman from: Bear (Already played NHL), Jones, Lagesson, Berglund +...

One goalie from a pretty well ranked group.

Not saying top 6/4 superstars, just useful NHL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->