Prospect Info: HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018 (Poll #15)

Who is the Oilers #15 Prospect?

• Vincent Desharnais

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Gambardella

• Hayden Hawkey

• Colin Larkin

• John Marino

• Markus Niemelainen

• Patrick Russell

• Tyler Vesel

• Nolan Vesey

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Congratulations to poll #14 winner:

LQL9dPA.png

Olivier Rodrigue

HFOil Top 20 Oilers Prospects 2018
1) Evan Bouchard - RD - London Knights - OHL - 74%
2) Kailer Yamamoto - RW - Spokane Chiefs - WHL - 93%
3) Ethan Bear - RD - Bakersfield Condors - AHL - 49%
4) Tyler Benson - LW - Vancouver Giants - WHL - 36%
5) Ryan McLeod - C - Mississauga Steelheads - OHL - 37%
6) Kirill Maksimov - RW - Niagara IceDogs - OHL - 48%
7) Caleb Jones - LD - Bakersfield Condors - AHL - 35%
8) Stuart Skinner - G - Swift Current Broncos - WHL - 30%
9) Cooper Marody - C - Michigan Wolverines - NCAA - 42%
10) Ostap Safin - RW - Saint John Sea Dogs - QMJHL - 25%
11) William Lagesson - LD - Djurgarden IF - SHL - 31%
12) Filip Berglund - RD - Skelleftea AIK - SHL - 37%
13) Dmitri Samorukov - LD - Guelph Storm - OHL - 41%
14) Olivier Rodrigue - G - Drummondville Voltigeurs - QMJHL - 41%

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
In comparing Rasanen to this year's draft class... to me he looks like the equivalent of a mid 4th rounder... which imo is tops of the prospects left on the list.

I would have rated Niemelainen and Yakimov higher before they fell off the earth in their development.

I think Rasanen and Hebig(about a mid 5th rounder equivalent prospect) are the two left that I'd rate as having the highest chances at making an impact at the NHL level.

Lowe, Siikanen and Mantha (if he can overcome his injury issues) are longer shots at carving out an NHL spot at some point.

Wildcard being a goalie... I'd probably lean towards Starrett but not sure where I'd rank him as they are so variable from year to year.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Rasanen for me, I think he's got the best shot of being an NHLer. I want to see another season for Persson, he came too much out of nowhere, and could easily fall off the map.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think Persson is the last quality prospect but still a few interesting names floating around.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kept voting Persson with no luck, so I just voted McPhee. I think that he could surprise as he's made some big strides since being drafted.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
Voted Keegan Lowe, wont be more than 6/7 at the NHL level or top pairing AHL but was the most consistent defenseman for Bakersfield last year. The rest of the prospects are long shots to even play an NHL game.

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
He’s #21 for me.

imago

1) Evan Bouchard
2) Kailer Yamamoto
3) Ethan Bear
4) Tyler Benson
5) Caleb Jones
6) Kirill Maksimov
7) Joel Persson
8) Ryan McLeod
9) Cooper Marody
10) Tyler Vesel
11) Stuart Skinner
12) Ostap Safin
13) Olivier Rodrigue
14) Filip Berglund
15) Dmitri Samorukov
16) William Lagesson
17) Dylan Wells
18) Philip Kemp
19) Apelli Rasanen
20) Cameron Hebig

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Voted Keegan Lowe, wont be more than 6/7 at the NHL level or top pairing AHL but was the most consistent defenseman for Bakersfield last year. The rest of the prospects are long shots to even play an NHL game.

I've heard so little from Bakersfield last year. Nothing that would make me think Lowe should ever see the NHL level competition. What/where/how did you come to the conclusion there is even a depth nhler in Lowe?

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
I've heard so little from Bakersfield last year. Nothing that would make me think Lowe should ever see the NHL level competition. What/where/how did you come to the conclusion there is even a depth nhler in Lowe?

Conjecture, formed from various news articles and radio interviews over the year. He played 2 NHL games last year during garbage time, 4 total in his career. Did not look out of place but had zero wow factor. Played well enough to earn a new contract at 150k and 225k over the next 2 years to play in the AHL. Over the years of these rankings I have thought more NHL ready prospects were often ranked lower than boom/bust prospects (less likely to play in the NHL but higher end potential) and ended up lower than my personal rankings:

2017 Jujhar Khaira @ 8
2016 Anton Slepyshev @ 9
2016 Jordan Oesterle @ 11
2016 Tyler Pitlick @ 16
2015 Anders Nilsson @ 16

Although I don't like Lowe as much as any of the above mentioned players at the time of those rankings, I think he has a decent chance to play some NHL games over the next two years. Right or wrong I value players with lower potential but more likely to play NHL games apparently more than most people.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Conjecture, formed from various news articles and radio interviews over the year. He played 2 NHL games last year during garbage time, 4 total in his career. Did not look out of place but had zero wow factor. Played well enough to earn a new contract at 150k and 225k over the next 2 years to play in the AHL. Over the years of these rankings I have thought more NHL ready prospects were often ranked lower than boom/bust prospects (less likely to play in the NHL but higher end potential) and ended up lower than my personal rankings:

2017 Jujhar Khaira @ 8
2016 Anton Slepyshev @ 9
2016 Jordan Oesterle @ 11
2016 Tyler Pitlick @ 16
2015 Anders Nilsson @ 16

Although I don't like Lowe as much as any of the above mentioned players at the time of those rankings, I think he has a decent chance to play some NHL games over the next two years. Right or wrong I value players with lower potential but more likely to play NHL games apparently more than most people.

Thanks for this.

I too value lower top end but hreat floor depth type players.

Lagesson is my next pick to have a great bottom pairing career.

I was very high on all those players you listed.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Is Lowe still considered a prospect at age 25?

The criteria I’ve always used is under 65 NHL games played and under the age of 26. I will make certain exceptions, for example Ty Rattie (49 NHL GP), I consider graduated.

To be honest though, Lowe was a tough one. Personally, I’d say he’s an “AHL Vet” not a prospect, but he is a unique case. I doubt he makes the top-20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->