HFOil Draft Playoff Voting Round 2

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Below are playoff matchups from a Fantasy Draft done on the Oilers board. Please vote which team you believe would win a 7 game series for each matchup. One per matchup.

small.png

Jeff Skinner - Ryan Getzlaf - Mats Zuccarello
Mathieu Perreault - Eric Staal - Jason Pomminville
Mike Cammalleri - David Backes - Ales Hemsky
Marcus Kruger - Antoine Vermette - Jared McCann

Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Radko Gudas
Zach Bogosian - Jeff Petry
Matt Hunwick - Stephen Johns

Ben Bishop
Calvin Pickard

VS:

small.png

Johnny Gaudreau - Ryan O'Reilly - Kyle Okposo
David Perron - Vincent Trocheck - Connor Brown
Timo Meier - Mark Letestu - Josh Anderson
Brett Connolly - Riley Nash - Pontus Aberg

Victor Hedman - Matt Benning
Andy Greene - Tyson Barrie
Jacob Larsson - Luke Schenn

Roberto Luongo
Eddie Lack

James Van Riemsdyk - Claude Giroux - Mark Stone
Matt Moulson - David Krejci - Josh Bailey
Daniel Winnik - Travis Zajac - Lee Stempniak
Matt Calvert - Kyle Brodziak - Tom Kuhnhackl

Karl Alzner - Shea Weber
Paul Martin - Troy Stetcher
Jordie Benn - Trevor Van Riemsdyk

Pekka Rinne
Charlie Lindgren

VS..

small.png

James Neal - Connor McDavid - Nikolaj Ehlers
Brock Nelson - Dylan Larkin - Kevin Hayes
Jason Chimera - Martin Hanzal - Jarome Iginla
Lance Bouma - Cody Eakin - Alex DeBrincat

Noah Hanifin - Shayne Gostisbehere
Trevor Daley - Adam McQuaid
Brandon Manning - Anthony DeAngelo

Cam Talbot
Antti Niemi

Alex Steen - Jonathan Toews - Blake Wheeler
Filip Forsberg - Tyler Johnson - Kevin Labanc
Yanni Gourde - Vladislav Namestnikov - Jesper Fast
Scott Wilson - Andrew Copp - Taylor Raddysh

Brian Dumoulin - Brent Burns
Joel Edmundson - Sami Vatanen
Michal Kempny - Madison Bowey

Henrik Lundqvist
Jeff Zatkoff

VS:

small.png

Jamie Benn - Auston Matthews - Nick Schmaltz
Boone Jenner - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Ryan Hartman
Mattias Janmark - Joel Eriksson-Ek - Alex Nylander
Micheal Ferland - JT Compher - Zack Kassian

Zdeno Chara - Justin Faulk
Oscar Klefbom - Josh Manson
Adam Pelech - Steve Santini

Cory Schneider
Tristan Jarry

small.png

Conor Sheary - Sidney Crosby - Jonathan Marchessault
Sam Gagner - Alex Galchenyuk - Phil Kessel
Anthony Beauvillier - Zemgus Girgensons - Beau Bennett
Matt Nieto - Peter Holland - Johan Larsson

Cam Fowler - Anton Stralman
Dan Hamhuis - Brent Seabrook
David Schlemko - Mark Streit

Martin Jones
Peter Budaj

VS..

small.png

David Pastrnak - Tyler Seguin - Corey Perry
Andrew Ladd - Sean Monahan - Jakob Silfverberg
Benoit Pouliot - Calle Jarnkrok - Kris Versteeg
Austin Watson - Alex Burmistrov - Chris Stewart

Jake Muzzin - John Carlson
Brendan Smith - Brandon Montour
Dion Phaneuf - Alex Petrovic

Petr Mrazek
Joonas Korpisalo

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
FIRST.

:wild

I wanted to break down the MIN/EDM match-up, as it was one I really wanted- believe it or not. After all, most teams would not want to face off against a team headlined by Connor McDavid, but there are some serious weaknesses on the Edmonton roster that I felt I could take advantage of. Here are some of them:

1) Are there better offensive teams than the Wild? Sure, and Edmonton has the potential to be one of them. There are also teams better defensively than mine. However, outside of Vancouver- who voters put the Wild handily ahead of- there is not a team in the West that brings the same balance both ways as Minnesota.

2) A good example of a lack of balance on the Oilers is their top line. While it's hard to screw up a line with McDavid, it doesn't have the balls-to-the-wall grinder that #97 seems to really need to be effective. Who, out of Ehlers and Neal, is the one attacking the wall, maintaining possession? If it's Ehlers, he's going to be the second member of his line to have had a broken collarbone before age 25. If it's Neal, you sacrifice the only proven 30-goal scorer of the trio to garbage duty. It's not an ideal situation either way.

3) Beyond that, the Wild have two formidable options for containing McDavid: a pure power-vs.-power top pair in the form of Karl Alzner and Shea Weber, and an old-fashioned shutdown line consisting of Winnik-Zajac-Stempniak. Both options can be paired with any other unit to increase the probability that one or the other is always out against #97. The other? Well...

4) It draws Edmonton's second- and only other- scoring line. Larkin had the sophomore slump to end all sophomore slumps last year, but beyond that, his 45% on the draw and ineffectual physical play means his NHL future is perhaps on the wing. Again, I don't have a problem with the Zajac line seeing them- or any of my others, in fact. Giroux (55%) Krejci (51%) and Brodziak (50%) can all win their share of draws, another strength of my team overall when compared to Edmonton.

5) Outside of their top six, the Oilers really have nothing going elsewhere offensively. Iginla and Chimera are the very bottom of their reserves as not only scorers but NHL players, while Bouma and DeBrincat are either unproven or unsuited to regular duty. In fact, Minnesota's top goal getter among their bottom sixers is Martin Hanzal, and will he have time to score while also being tasked with taking premier shutdown matchups? Probably not. Again, there needs to be balance, and it's not evident here.

6) However, Edmonton's biggest flaw by far is on defense. The top pair consists of two players who aren't even as old as Jaromir Jagr combined, and two left-handed ones to boot. You're asking an extremely young and porous unit to be better in all three zones while one of them has to also adjust to playing on their off-side. Let's not forget that Ghost was actually benched this year because of his struggles doing exactly that.

7) But perhaps the biggest sin is pushing Trevor Daley out of position. For being a top-four guy on the back-to-back champs, you'd think fans would know by now that he thrived in Pittsburgh precisely because he wasn't on his right side. I mean, there was an entire article about it. Detroit is even planning to use him there this year. Daley must, must absolutely be on his right side to be effective- which means that now either Adam McQuaid becomes an even bigger liability by shifting to his off-side, or Brandon Manning becomes Edmonton's #4. Neither are good options.

8) Finally, we have to look in net. I love Cam Talbot as a person, and there is no question he was a close second in MVP voting for the (real) Oilers during 2016-17. However, Rinne was simply all-world during Nashville's run to the finals. His experience and proven ability to find another level gives him an edge in this one, and I like his odds as the last line of defense against McDavid.

Those are just some of my thoughts. Looking forward to great series all around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad