Prospect Info: HFOIL 2020 Prospect Rankings (Poll #8)

Who is the Oilers 8th best prospect?

• Total voters

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I really like what I've seen from Tullio but its getting tough to choose. I don't know of there's a lot to choose between the goalies, Tullio, Savoie, and the darkhorse NCAA RD in Kemp and Kesselring. As the guy who used to tell everyone not to forget about Marino around here in other years I feel obligated to remind you all of the big toolsy college D that's percolating. Kesselring in particular has an impressive package of skills.

Last edited:

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
We are at the point in the rankings where, if you haven’t shown anything as a PRO, you can’t be ranked ahead of Lagesson, who is on the cusp of playing regularly in the NHL. After this everyone is a shot in the dark

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes and Aerchon

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
This is getting tough for me, though I probably don't follow prospects nearly as much as some of you guys.

Torn between Maksimov, Lagesson, and Konovalov. Settled on Safin :DD

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
William Laggeson

Top 5
1. Philip Broberg
2. Evan Bouchard
3. Dylan Holloway
4. Dmitri Samorukov
5. Ryan McCloud

Top 6-10
6. William Laggeson
7. Raphael Lavoie
8. Tyler Benson
9. Ilya Konovalov
10. Tyler Tullio

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We are at the point in the rankings where, if you haven’t shown anything as a PRO, you can’t be ranked ahead of Lagesson, who is on the cusp of playing regularly in the NHL. After this everyone is a shot in the dark
Why is that? Tulio just got drafted

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lagesson.

Him or Konovalov are the closest to NHL ready which is what we're looking for at this point.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Exactly. I like the upside of Tullio and Savoie for that matter over Lagesson, but Willy Legs is clearly the next closest to NHL ready which is the criteria at this point in the rankings. Konovalov as well as he's proving it in the KHL which is the second best hockey league in the world.

In the top 5 you take highest potential, beyond that we should be ranking (in my view, others can of course disagree) who are the next closest to being NHL ready.

Tullio and Savoie are 2-3 years away at minimum. And there's nothing wrong with that, players take time to develop when you draft them at 18-19 years old.

Reactions: fireantz

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Even a 1st round pick has more a chance of never playing a full nhl season that they do of greatness.

So IMO a 25 year old rookie who is extremely likely to get said nhl season trumps the average blue chip prospect that is just drafted.

Obviously a great 1st round pick projected to be a 1st line anything trumps a 3rd pairing 25 year old rookie but even then it's numerically closer than many here seem to realize.

But a newly drafted average 2nd rounder or worse is nothing but a lotto ticket no matter how tantalizing the scouting report is.

The vast vast vast majority of prospects get hung up and left to die at the pro level and then those that translate to the pros don't translate to the nhl.

Outside of the truly elite it's almost better to not even think of most picks as legit prospects until they are at least succeeding at the pro level.

Last edited:

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Even a 1st round pick has more a chance of never playing a full nhl season that they do of greatness.

So IMO a 25 year old rookie who is extremely likely to get said nhl season trumps the average blue chip prospect that is just drafted.

Obviously a great 1st round pick projected to be a 1st line anything trumps a 3rd pairing 25 year old rookie but even then it's numerically closer than many here seem to realize.

But a newly drafted average 2nd rounder or worse is nothing but a lotto ticket no matter how tantalizing the scouting report is.

The vast vast vast majority of prospects get hung up and left to die at the pro level and then those that translate to the pros don't translate to the nhl.

Outside of the truly elite it's almost better to not even think of most picks as legit prospects until they are at least succeeding at the pro level.

It is perfectly reasonable to prefer the "higher ceiling, lower floor" aspect of a newly drafted prospect over the "lower ceiling, higher floor" aspect of an older player. Being a replacement level NHLer is really only a little bit better than being a complete bust.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I went with Lagesson. So hard to make a judgement on Russian goalie stats not having watched Konovalov play. Lagesson is very close. After that it is very hard to predict.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Finally Konovalov is going to get the win. I understand people being leery of getting too excited about an overage goalie drafted in the middle rounds who doesn't have high pedigree, especially one that's only 6'0" tall. However because of his skills and what he's done in the KHL Konovalov should excite you, and his contract with Yaroslavl is up at the end of the year so the Oilers can sign him and bring him over to play in North America for 2021-22.

He's quick, agile, calm in the net but not afraid to challenge shooters. He's good technically, has good positioning and tracks the puck well, has a good glove, and he works hard which bodes well for future development when he gets to NA as well. With his size the place he's most susceptible to getting beat is up high, and he could continue to improve his rebound control and puck handling but overall he's very good and there's a reason he has the stats he does and has been Lokomotiv Yaroslavl's starter for the past 2+ years despite only being 20 years old when he took the starter's job.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Lagesson is the only player left I’ve seen play, so I’m gonna vote for him.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
I base my votes on potential imo...I don't care who is closest to being NHL ready. Maybe that is "wrong" to some but it has no impact on my choice

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad